New Pitch

Guest Buxtonian

Just a point that may be relevant, Man CIty have just given up a fantastic training ground in carrington within 2 mins of the M61 (excellent access) and developed all around their stadium as a lot will have witnessed with the cup games. One of the main reasons was that all the club was run close together and young academy players were using the same facilities as the highest paid pros. According to Vincent Kompany it made such a huge concern feel more like a football club that wanted everyone to be treated equal and will attract the best young talent as well the established stars.

Maybe this is a model that would be best followed so redeveloping middlewood gets my vote

Just a point that may be relevant, Man CIty have just given up a fantastic training ground in carrington within 2 mins of the M61 (excellent access) and developed all around their stadium as a lot will have witnessed with the cup games. One of the main reasons was that all the club was run close together and young academy players were using the same facilities as the highest paid pros. According to Vincent Kompany it made such a huge concern feel more like a football club that wanted everyone to be treated equal and will attract the best young talent as well the established stars.

Maybe this is a model that would be best followed so redeveloping middlewood gets my vote

I was under the impression that Middlewood isn't big enough for a club with serious intentions of returning to & staying in the Premier plus achieving the highest level academy status.

What about the site where the Community Project was supposed to be happening? If the community project are struggling for the funding couldn't the club buy the land from the community project and develop it? Maybe a joint venture? - Surely the facilities could accommodate both?

Just up the road from Hillsborough- ideal position surely?

yes it was dave barber who was on football heaven 1 evening. To take the slope out would be a big job I think to do as some have asked . would like to see a mock up picture of it though without the slope.

If they are digging down six feet anyway is already a big job!

Guest totemowl

I was under the impression that Middlewood isn't big enough for a club with serious intentions of returning to & staying in the Premier plus achieving the highest level academy status.

It's 13 acres, which is definitely small. City's new complex is 80 acres but that might include the stadium and their old training complex was 22 I think. A few years ago the club were looking at a 28 acre site.

I see Biggs is saying that the top 1 metre is to be dig up & taken away but the new pitch will be built to a level higher than the current pitch to take it further away from the water table.

I don't know if this means we will have banking up to the pitch like Old Trafford or whether some of the slope will be taken away meaning we would need more banking at the kop end.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/sheff-weds/alan-biggs-at-large-sheffield-wednesday-pitch-will-be-the-biggest-signing-then-the-likes-of-lewis-mcgugan-might-follow-1-7178147

Isn't there suposed to be a new state of the art sports facility where the old athletics stadium was, it's close to the motorway, close to Hillsborough and will have some of the best sports facilities in the country, surely we should be looking to be part of that - especially if the council (Sheffield rate payers !) are picking up most of the tab...

Also, stop saying we have a slope on our pitch, DC could get seriously anoyed... Look what happened to Clarkson !

Had a interesting chat with a friend last night who is the assistant groundsman at one of the local teams and knows ours very well.

Extensive removal of existing playing area - upto 5 ft deep

State of art under soil heating

New surface 2 ft higher than existing one

3% single stitch artificial fibres stitched into naturally grown grass, only only OldTrafford and Wembley have 6% double stich

Artificial surface round perimeter of pitch for subs to warm up on

Lightinting rigs primarily for South and North wings of pitch to aid grass growth during season

Jumped the queue over dem Blades cos our season will finish upto 3 weeks before theirs

Had a interesting chat with a friend last night who is the assistant groundsman at one of the local teams and knows ours very well.

Extensive removal of existing playing area - upto 5 ft deep

State of art under soil heating

New surface 2 ft higher than existing one

3% single stitch artificial fibres stitched into naturally grown grass, only only OldTrafford and Wembley have 6% double stich

Artificial surface round perimeter of pitch for subs to warm up on

Lightinting rigs primarily for South and North wings of pitch to aid grass growth during season

Jumped the queue over dem Blades cos our season will finish upto 3 weeks before theirs

thats makes sense to that argument