New Pitch

Guest Buxtonian

Why not look at the pitches above the Gas Club, especially the one on Myers Grove Lane. That's one of the flattest, if not the flattest pitch in Sheffield, then there's the two/three below it, and the big tennis court section further below that. 

Guest _Ibbo_

Used to travel from Totley to WPV most days. Never went anywhere near town. Via Dore, Ringinglow, Lodge More, Stannington and Wisewood. Took 20mins max.

This. There is a nice easy countryside run from Dore to hillsborough, never need to go though town at all....

Which is why I don't get the obsession of a pitch near hillsborough for training, Dore is where most of the players lived when successful, waddle etc still live there....

Having the 1st Team train at Dore would make sense to me at least.

They only head to the stadium a few Saturday's a year.

This. There is a nice easy countryside run from Dore to hillsborough, never need to go though town at all....

Which is why I don't get the obsession of a pitch near hillsborough for training, Dore is where most of the players lived when successful, waddle etc still live there....

Having the 1st Team train at Dore would make sense to me at least.

They only head to the stadium a few Saturday's a year.

10 minutes though?! Takes at least 20!

But I agree the training ground should be moved the HSBC pitches. Lovely part of the city, plenty of space to build top notch facilities etc.

Only problem is that it would be hard to get to for academy lads who can't drive

But I agree the training ground should be moved the HSBC pitches. Lovely part of the city, plenty of space to build top notch facilities etc.

Only problem is that it would be hard to get to for academy lads who can't drive

mini bus em in or use the existing training ground just for the academy

Guest _Ibbo_

Think the plan is for the academy to stay at middlewood..... Just the 1st to use HSBC.

Guest totemowl

It certainly is. Just lovely.

And taking those pitches off of the sheffield community and digging them up would go down a treat.

As would building on green belt and on 'high value landscape'.

Yep. Superb location.

Guest _Ibbo_

It certainly is. Just lovely.

And taking those pitches off of the sheffield community and digging them up would go down a treat.

As would building on green belt and on 'high value landscape'.

Yep. Superb location.

There already sports pitches and used for football. The HSBC 'sports club' is hardly the Sheffield community. It's a private club. They aren't community pitches.

There is already a clubhouse and building on the land as well.

It's one of the nicest setups in Sheffield for sport. Unsurprisingly considering it was the staff club of a major national bank......

Edited by _Ibbo_

Guest totemowl

There already sports pitches and used for football. The HSBC 'sports club' is hardly the Sheffield community. It's a private club. They aren't community pitches.

There is already a clubhouse and building on the land as well.

It's one of the nicest setups in Sheffield for sport. Unsurprisingly considering it was the staff club of a major national bank......

You realise that's just more reasons why it's a bad idea.

I thought the pitches could be hired.

It's not an idea.  It's a plan that will come to fruition in the next 12 months.

Edited by Sham67

Yep, duplicate if possible. If the facilities are good enough then I don't see why travelling between the two is so necessary. Happy to defer to anyone that knows better.

The facilities don't need to be close together and neither does equipment need to be duplicated for the most part. No use in having expensive equipment standing idle in a barely used stadium.

Many training grounds are away from the main stadium and often not even in the locality. There is no need for it either

Guest _Ibbo_

Wednesday are interested in buying some of the finest pitches in the city. In one off the nicest areas, close to where the players live. Which are currently privately owned by a bank....

It's actually only an hours drive to Manchester Airport as well from Dore......

Allowing someone to hire a pitch doesn't mean it's a community pitch in any sort of way.

Yet you think it's a bad idea ?

Why ?

Guest _Ibbo_

I would have thought Wednesday wanting to buy the finest pitches in Sheffield would be a good thing not a bad idea ?

Guest _Ibbo_

There's more to siting a training ground than that standard of pitches

There is loads of expansion areas round hsbc as well....

If you know it or not, it's abolutely perfect for a training ground.

In my opinion anyway. And after a bad game there is always the hill run over to fox house and back.......

I don't understand the clamour for a new training complex. Just spend some proper money on Middlewood.

The HSBC grass pitches are on a massive slope, it would be expensive to buy and HSBC won't sell. Other than all that, that particular plan is flawless.

If Wednesday were to move, one option could be the Davy McKee complex. Better pitches, access and cheaper land to buy.

We might have missed a trick with the old Aurora complex. Just been sold to the University for less than £150k.

There is loads of expansion areas round hsbc as well....

If you know it or not, it's abolutely perfect for a training ground.

In my opinion anyway. And after a bad game there is always the hill run over to fox house and back.......

Have you tried to buy either land or property in Dore recently? And good luck getting planning permission.