New Pitch

Guest Buxtonian

Guest totemowl

Yep, duplicate if possible. If the facilities are good enough then I don't see why travelling between the two is so necessary. Happy to defer to anyone that knows better.

If the HSBC facilities provided what we need at comparable cost then perhaps. But I can't see that being the case, especially cos we're moving on from a L1, lower-end Chamionship club.

Imo Likely to get much better value (including greater use / less cost) from a venue in or near Hillsborough.

Guest _Ibbo_

If the HSBC facilities provided what we need at comparable cost then perhaps. But I can't see that being the case, especially cos we're moving on from a L1, lower-end Chamionship club.

Imo Likely to get much better value (including greater use / less cost) from a venue in or near Hillsborough.

Not many fields around hillsborough. HSBCs pitches are some of the finest in sheffield.

Guest Buxtonian

Far too much being made of the 'pitch is rubbish, need a new one' malarky. Whilst admitting the pitch is in poor state, we cannot blame it for us throwing away 2 points yesterday. That was simply not applying the basics of football! As schoolkids of yesteryear were always taught 'PLAY TO THE WHISTLE'. It doesn't matter what you as a player think, if the Ref says left is right, then left is right. Complain by all means, but AFTER the whistle has gone!

The Kop half of the pitch was in better shape for us than Fulham in the 1St half, but Fulham used it better, and controlled the ball better than we did.

I think all this discusion has gone to the players' heads, and they are forgetting the basics.The pitch is not up to current playing standards, but I've seen pitches in far worse state in the past, and tha tincludes the hallowed turf of Wembley.

I appreciate that improvements have to be made, but fully realise that we are stuck with this pitch until after the Leeds game. My initial post was basically 'What can we look forward to' 

I agree with the argument that a training facility close to Hillsborough ought to be cheaper to run in terms of needing less duplication etc but there can't be many available open spaces close enough to take that advantage. Once you're more than a few miles away with today's traffic levels you'll probably have to duplicate services anyway so a site that provides everything you need out weighs a site close to the home ground that doesn't. While the HSBC ground is a great facility it's location would be a nightmare for any players or staff members travelling from outside the city. Edited by mogbad

Guest _Ibbo_

I agree with the argument that a training facility close to Hillsborough ought to be cheaper to run in terms of needing less duplication etc but there can't be many available open spaces close enough to take that advantage. Once your more than a few miles away with today's traffic levels you'll probably have to duplicate services anyway so a site that provides everything you need outways a site close to the home ground that doesn't. While the HSBC ground is a great facility it's location would be a nightmare for any players or staff members travelling from outside the city.

Why would the HSBC location be a nightmare?

Guest totemowl

Not many fields around hillsborough. HSBCs pitches are some of the finest in sheffield.

:WTF:

Edited by totemowl

Guest _Ibbo_

You have to wonder how Hirst, Palmer and the rest of players who lived in Dore ever got to training.

Yeah that's my point. Most of the 1st team probably live Dore area....

Makes more sense for me to have the training there...

Guest totemowl

I agree with the argument that a training facility close to Hillsborough ought to be cheaper to run in terms of needing less duplication etc but there can't be many available open spaces close enough to take that advantage. Once you're more than a few miles away with today's traffic levels you'll probably have to duplicate services anyway so a site that provides everything you need out weighs a site close to the home ground that doesn't. While the HSBC ground is a great facility it's location would be a nightmare for any players or staff members travelling from outside the city.

All fair points and I suspect that's why Man City chose to move from a greenfield, out of town complex into a brownfield site right next door to the Etihad.

Why would the HSBC location be a nightmare?

Its not close to any motorway links. If you're travelling north up the M1 you could come via Chesterfield & the Dronfield bypass but if you're travelling south its not an easy location to get to.

Guest _Ibbo_

Its not close to any motorway links. If you're travelling north up the M1 you could come via Chesterfield & the Dronfield bypass but if you're travelling south its not an easy location to get to.

It's just a training ground for the players. Why does that matter?

Personally I think the location would be superb to showing potential new players. Houses close by for the players. Stunning views. Would show sheffield at its best.

Old HSBC would be a good location, could then re develop the current training ground into better Academy facility for u18 games, younger age groups, possibly. Merge this into the new set up that was being planned for.

People forget that a lot of players travel in from outside sheffield, easy access in to Dore from the motorways wouldn't add much to current journeys.

Leeds have there training ground in Wetherby, as others have stated its a thing of days gone by to have your training ground next to the ground.

Only thing we're forgetting is that the HSBC would need to be purchased first? Still a well used facility and might not come cheap. ( oh well, we're sheffield Wednesday we do what we want.

Guest timrud

You really think that would make or break a deal on siging a player? Really?

You want somewhere we can has 4/5 top class pitches, indoor facilities and a good section of community facilities that are accessible

Guest totemowl

It's just a training ground for the players. Why does that matter?

Personally I think the location would be superb to showing potential new players. Houses close by for the players. Stunning views. Would show sheffield at its best.

Yeh, and the second hour of your wonderful presentation is spent travelling in slow moving traffic across town...

Nice try but...

All fair points and I suspect that's why Man City chose to move from a greenfield, out of town complex into a brownfield site right next door to the Etihad.

Most teams don't have that luxury, Man City were lucky, got to purchase land around the stadium to build a complete campus using grounds like the Nou Camp as a vision, not many other teams have loads of spare land around!

Guest _Ibbo_

Yeh, and the second hour of your wonderful presentation is spent travelling in slow moving traffic across town...

Nice try but...

Takes 10 mins from Dore to S6 via the country lanes...

this is what HJK have, works well for them as they have their stadium (inc Desso type pitch) and then around 5 training pitches around the stadium. In the winter they cover the right had side pitches so they can still train.

What we should aim for IF we ever move but obviously with a bigger stadium

stock-photo-helsinki-july-sonera-stadium

10827964_10152553579305981_1478994713008