Sheffield Star: Owls Eye Double Summer Swoop

I wouldn't be unhappy with those two deals. McGugan is pure class and someone we can build the side around. Keane is young and has potential. Signing Keane though, does throw up question marks about our existing strikers, especially as we'll probably need to bring in a further two forwards. Would leave 3 of Nuhiu, May, Madine, Bus, Lavery, surplus to requirements

Guest goltheowl

I wouldn't be unhappy with those two deals. McGugan is pure class and someone we can build the side around. Keane is young and has potential. Signing Keane though, does throw up question marks about our existing strikers, especially as we'll probably need to bring in a further two forwards. Would leave 3 of Nuhiu, May, Madine, Bus, Lavery, surplus to requirements

Madine is as good as gone. 

Bus and May would probably benefit from loan moves 

Nuhiu and Lavery back up 

McGugan is a must.

Also think Keane is going to be a good player, I don't think he's a 20 goal man though. We'll need someone at the side of him to get near 20 goals. Preferably someone quick.

I would like to think we'll be in for 2 Strikers if we are serious about playoffs anyway. Nuhiu & May are okay for back up but they aren't going to get us into the top 6 & Bus is still an unknown quantity.

If we fail to get Keane, I'd like Garner from PNE as one of the two forwards. He's going to be a very good player & will have potential to be sold on at big profit.

We currently have Lavery, May, Nuhiu and Bus contracted to the club as strikers (not including Madine as he's as good as gone and counting Magiure as a winger).

None of the above have managed to score goals yet on a consistent basis at this level.

Keane was bought in to help address this problem and since his arrival we have continued to struggle to score goals.

He obviously has potential but I fail to see how this is addressing our goal scoring problems ahead of next season.

I'd much rather see us bring in McGugan, 2 strikers who have a goal scoring track record at this level and a decent attacking winger.

We currently have Lavery, May, Nuhiu and Bus contracted to the club as strikers (not including Madine as he's as good as gone and counting Magiure as a winger).

None of the above have managed to score goals yet on a consistent basis at this level.

Keane was bought in to help address this problem and since his arrival we have continued to struggle to score goals.

He obviously has potential but I fail to see how this is addressing our goal scoring problems ahead of next season.

I'd much rather see us bring in McGugan, 2 strikers who have a goal scoring track record at this level and a decent attacking winger.

He doesn't, and the key to solving our striker crisis will be bringing in the right players, not only to score the goals, but who are able to form good partnerships with our existing strikers. This is something we haven't managed to do for a long while.

I'm still undecided about Keane to be honest. McGugan would be the best signing we've made in years.

Agree but we have to trust they see real potential in Keane and he does have a little catching up to do, pretty sure Man U wouldn't have given him the contract if he wasn't potentially a very good player.

Guest wilyfox

Well, I'd be very surprised - shocked actually - if we don't tie up a permanent deal for McGugan. Keane...I really like him. Needs to score a few more before this season is out to convince me he could be a 20-goal man next year. If Keane does stay here, I'd like a nippy little sod to join him. I guess my only concern would be that we have lost ground on the top six with him in the team since January, and if he's to suddenly propel us towards the top end he'll need to improve his return significantly.

Guest wilyfox

Hes his sons favourite player according to his instagram so there is no way daddy wont buy Keane for him.

Van Gaal might have summat to say about that. I wouldn't assume Keane to be surplus there.

Keane is a must signing.

If we fail to act he will go elsewhere be a score goals. Just like Afobe has done for Wolves.

He's not a must signing at all. He's got potential and the last thing we want to be doing is spending a couple of mill on another player with potential. We need proven quality. We'd probably get Chris Wood for a similar price. Possibly even lower.

I'm not convinced as of yet with regards to Keane.

Another way of looking at it though is during the two spells Nigel Pearson has been in charge of Leicester and the spell he had in between at Hull, he had a tendency to sign young players from Man Utd quite regularly and both clubs are currently in the Prem.

So when you bear in mind we've already signed Vermijl this may be a policy Gray may feel is worth pursuing?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

Guest wilyfox

no way is he near their first team

Not their matchday squad, no, but United are required to have so many homegrown players on their books - and Keane is one of their more talented ones. Keane has indicated he wants to make his mark there, and they've put a lot into his development.

He's not a must signing at all. He's got potential and the last thing we want to be doing is spending a couple of mill on another player with potential. We need proven quality. 

We never sign players with real potential, not the sort of potential that Keane has anyway

But how does proven quality prove itself? proven quality often costs money we probably wont spend

If we'd invested in Afobe's potential we'd be reaping the rewards as Wolves and MK Dons have done ( having spent less money on him than Wolves did )  I think Keane could be a similar mistake if we didn't look to bring him in,  for the right price of course

Edited by Lee A