Sheffield Star: Owls Eye Double Summer Swoop

Guest wilyfox

I doubt it is. 2 million at the most. Would be a superb buy for that sort of money.

Goal scorers tend to cost more than their defensive counterparts. Hull's interest would only drive the price up. I'm not sure some people fully appreciate just how big a prospect Keane was considered to be at youth level. United still have very high hopes for him.

Where have I said we could get him for half a million?

If Wood would be an excellent signing for any Champ club then surely wouldn't Leicester want to keep hold of him when they come back down? If memory serves me correctly Wood wasn't even in the starting 11 for a lot of the time when they got promoted.

They would cost similar and Will Keane for me is a much better prospect than Wood.

Ah I see the confusion, I meant we could get Keane in between 1 and 2 million

Yeah I read that as half a mill.

I still don't think we'd get him for any less than £2m.

My opinion, Wood is a better buy right now. And there's more chance of getting him. As I've said all along, the moment Keane starts showing ANY potential (and it has only been a bit), there'll be clubs much higher up the footballing ladder, sniffing round him.

As for Wood at Leicester, he still won't be playing regularly if they do come down. They've got better than him, we haven't.

I'm still undecided about Keane to be honest. McGugan would be the best signing we've made in years.

I think he really looks the part.  Great with both feet and he has great balance.  He makes football look easy.  Great player.  I'd love us to sign him. 

I'm all for signing young players with potential, and Keane definitely has potential. My only worry, and it's the same with all our other strikers, there isn't a partnership amongst them. Not at all convinced with the Nuhiu/Keane pairing, it's no better than any of the others.

I'm all for signing young players with potential, and Keane definitely has potential. My only worry, and it's the same with all our other strikers, there isn't a partnership amongst them. Not at all convinced with the Nuhiu/Keane pairing, it's no better than any of the others.

I agree to the extent that there isn't a natural partnership but, IMO, the Keane/Nuhiu partnership is the best.  I would hope that if Keane does join us then we will be recruiting more "quality" forwards.  Hopefully, Bus will be a good acquisituion. 

Yeah I read that as half a mill.

I still don't think we'd get him for any less than £2m.

My opinion, Wood is a better buy right now. And there's more chance of getting him. As I've said all along, the moment Keane starts showing ANY potential (and it has only been a bit), there'll be clubs much higher up the footballing ladder, sniffing round him.

As for Wood at Leicester, he still won't be playing regularly if they do come down. They've got better than him, we haven't.

If Wood became available a host of Championship clubs will be after him. Including the club he is currently on loan at, interesting to see how he does there until the end of the season.

Keane would be a smarter piece of business, but it's all about opinions and we're going round in circles

lol

Guest wilyfox

I'm not convinced by that pairing either. Both want the same role in the team, in my opinion it's one or the other in our XI.

I agree to the extent that there isn't a natural partnership but, IMO, the Keane/Nuhiu partnership is the best.  I would hope that if Keane does join us then we will be recruiting more "quality" forwards.  Hopefully, Bus will be a good acquisituion.

Yes, but Gray has to start thinking about whether or not they can play together His decisions, in that respect, have been pretty dubious thus far

Yes, but Gray has to start thinking about whether or not they can play together His decisions, in that respect, have been pretty dubious thus far

Don't disagree.  Its been "needs must" for Gray up until the takeover so I'll give him the benfit of the doubt

I'm not convinced by that pairing either. Both want the same role in the team, in my opinion it's one or the other in our XI.

Agree with this also.  Fantasy time maybe but Rhodes at the point of attack with Keane playing behind him ala Lineker and Beardsley or Shearer and Sheringham?  I can't yet decide if Keane is plays at the point of attack, withdrawn, off a target man or something else.   

Agree with this also.  Fantasy time maybe but Rhodes at the point of attack with Keane playing behind him ala Lineker and Beardsley or Shearer and Sheringham?  I can't yet decide if Keane is plays at the point of attack, withdrawn, off a target man or something else.

I don't think Gray or Keane himself yet know his best role in the team

Guest wilyfox

Scholes likened Keane to van Nistelrooy. Have to say, I can't see that. He used to play off the shoulder; not convinced Keane is that type. I see more Sheringham/Berbatov in Keane.

Kewne has potential - 20 goals? I don't know...Bus is still an unknown quantity and could be the answer. McGugan will be crucial next season.

My big worry is whether Gray himself will have what it takes to get us up..

He has shown to be a good safe pair of hands but there has been little evidence he can bild in the consistency and resilience we will need to get out of this League.

I doubt it is. 2 million at the most. Would be a superb buy for that sort of money.

Wiill Keane has been tagged the "next big thing" at Man Utd. His injuries have dragged him back but no way will they sell unless it's silly money. He still has two years to radically improve his value. His overall record says he's an elite goalscorer. He needs game time and lots of it to get back to his top. That's why he's here - not because he's not wanted or rated.

Scholes likened Keane to van Nistelrooy. Have to say, I can't see that. He used to play off the shoulder; not convinced Keane is that type. I see more Sheringham/Berbatov in Keane.

Yep, me too.  van Nistelrroy was a "galloping" forward all about pressing the last player (and/or the space behind that player), creating pressure and taking chances but Keane seems to have a more refined game than that - a game more akin to Sheringham, Berbatov or Beardsley. 

Yep, me too.  van Nistelrroy was a "galloping" forward all about pressing the last player (and/or the space behind that player), creating pressure and taking chances but Keane seems to have a more refined game than that - a game more akin to Sheringham, Berbatov or Beardsley.

Yes he's a more languid style, which probably requires his ideal partner to be a little more forceful. So this player will have to be, a goalscorer, and preferably have pace and aggression Shouldn't be too difficult to find

Kewne has potential - 20 goals? I don't know...Bus is still an unknown quantity and could be the answer. McGugan will be crucial next season.

My big worry is whether Gray himself will have what it takes to get us up..

He has shown to be a good safe pair of hands but there has been little evidence he can bild in the consistency and resilience we will need to get out of this League.

Not really had the finncial clout before. He's progressed us with a modest budget so I see no reason why he cant do the same with a bigger budget and better players. The summer recruitment campaign will be crucial. We need to have most of our recruitment done before kicking off next August,

Like to think we could do better than Keane, we already have 2 young strikers that are still unproven at this level in May and Lavery.

Think we need a more experianced striker.

Depends on how much money there is to spend.