Sheffield Star: Owls Eye Double Summer Swoop

We never sign players with real potential, not the sort of potential that Keane has anyway

But how does proven quality prove itself? proven quality often costs money we probably wont spend

If we'd invested in Afobe's potential we'd be reaping the rewards as Wolves and MK Dons have done ( having spent less money on him than Wolves did )  I think Keane could be a similar mistake if we didn't look to bring him in,  for the right price of course

It depends what you consider the right price. I think the sort of money it would take to get him, would be better on someone like Wood.

He's only young himself, yet he's proven he can score goals at this level already.

Afobe may just fit at Wolves. Or he may just be having a purple patch. I'd leave it a year or so before deciding how good an investment he is. Of course if he fires them into the play offs and they go up this season, he's been a good bit if business.

Afobe is a big strong lad, with decent pace, who can finish

Wednesday are the only team in the world who would have chucked him out wide left,  he's a good player that we failed to get the best from imo

Chris Wood would be a decent signing of course, but would he guarantee more goals than Keane? who to be fair is proving that if we actually make a few chances he can stick them away.

I'll be honest I'd be happy with either,  or both

He's not a must signing at all. He's got potential and the last thing we want to be doing is spending a couple of mill on another player with potential. We need proven quality. We'd probably get Chris Wood for a similar price. Possibly even lower.

Chris Wood? Don't know why everyone on here seems to think he's the answer to all our problems and gonna bag 20 goals a season. When was the last time he did that? If he has ever done that?

A young good English forward who we could get for 1/2 million- we have to act on Keane asap. Or else he will go to another Championship club and we will regret it.

Guest BigMikeyTheNottsOwl

Keane would be a great coup (providing he stays fit). Don;t forget he's not had much first team football but with someone of real quality beside him would be fantastic for the club. And he's young.

/\/\/\ This...

...I was going to say that Keane is still do young, I think he has a lot in his locker... he gives it 110% too, you never see him slacking!

Mcgugan is quality and having a midfielder who can bag a goal every other game makes perfect sense!

It depends what you consider the right price. I think the sort of money it would take to get him, would be better on someone like Wood.

He's only young himself, yet he's proven he can score goals at this level already.

Afobe may just fit at Wolves. Or he may just be having a purple patch. I'd leave it a year or so before deciding how good an investment he is. Of course if he fires them into the play offs and they go up this season, he's been a good bit if business.

It does come down to value for money I agree but if we could get Keane for the 'right' price without impacting adversely on other key areas then I would be delighted. He could turn out to be a real gem.

There isn't much to say about McGugan. It's a no-brainer.

With Keane I can really see something in him. I have been saying this for a few weeks now. No question he has a lot to learn, but he is one of those players that really could have a bright future ahead of him if he carries on applying himself like he has during his loan spell. He gets in to some very good positions and is definately not scared to go in where it hurts - the goal against 'Boro for example - stopping low and making the ball his.

His goal scoring rate (for us) is just under 1 in 3, and over a seaon that would work out to be 13/14 goals. If his game continues to improve and he gets a full season without injuries, there is no reason why he can't add to that total. I think it would be a good bit of business depending on the fee.

Edited by ChapSmurf

People assume Man Utd will just sell Keane far too easily , if he scores a few more goals before the end of the season there going to take notice and the lads got a few years contract over there

My hunch is he won't sign permanently , possibly another loan but I'd like to see us concentrate on permanent signings first

Chris Wood? Don't know why everyone on here seems to think he's the answer to all our problems and gonna bag 20 goals a season. When was the last time he did that? If he has ever done that?

A young good English forward who we could get for 1/2 million- we have to act on Keane asap. Or else he will go to another Championship club and we will regret it.

lol at you thinking we'll get Keane for half a mill

Wood is 1 year older than Keane. He's scored plenty at championship level already. Big, strong presence up front, good touch and can finish. He'd be an excellent signing for any championship club.

People assume Man Utd will just sell Keane far too easily , if he scores a few more goals before the end of the season there going to take notice and the lads got a few years contract over there

My hunch is he won't sign permanently , possibly another loan but I'd like to see us concentrate on permanent signings first

Agree about permanent signings as priority but IF Keane is available at a reasonable price then we should try to seal a deal IMO.

According to a report I've just read on newsnow Hull are targeting Keane.

Hull City are considering a surprise summer move for Manchester United striker Will Keane after Steve Bruce sent his top Tigers scout to run the rule over the Red Devils academy graduate during his loan spell at Sheffield Wednesday.

The 22-year-old has endured a difficult couple of seasons since suffering a serious knee injury two years ago, and was afforded an opportunity to continue his rehabilitation at the start of 2015 by undertaking a stint in the Championship.

Keane moved to Hillsborough in January and has gone on to make ten appearances for Stuart Gray's side, contributing three goals during his time with the Owls, which - according to The Sun - has caught Bruce's eye.

To all the doubters

Will Keane is the type of player we should be looking at

Young, hungry, and his best years still in front of him

Westwood, Lees, McGugan, Keane

That is a very decent backbone

And 4 places sorted for the new Wednesday

In my opinion,probably apart from Loovens who will be a regular starter, every other position is still up for grabs

These are indeed exciting times.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

lol at you thinking we'll get Keane for half a mill

Wood is 1 year older than Keane. He's scored plenty at championship level already. Big, strong presence up front, good touch and can finish. He'd be an excellent signing for any championship club.

Where have I said we could get him for half a million?

If Wood would be an excellent signing for any Champ club then surely wouldn't Leicester want to keep hold of him when they come back down? If memory serves me correctly Wood wasn't even in the starting 11 for a lot of the time when they got promoted.

They would cost similar and Will Keane for me is a much better prospect than Wood.

Ah I see the confusion, I meant we could get Keane in between 1 and 2 million

Edited by SallyCinnamon