Watford open to offers for McGugan

he's on god wages at Watford can't see him coming here but dafter things have happen'd suppose if he wants first team and is enjoying it here may have an input on his decision , would be a move in the right direction though providing Gray lets him do what he does best ,

Wow that's got to be a epic biblical wage per week,priceless really...🙈

He looked a class above what we currently have v Wolves last weekend. Great to see 'one of ours' play with his head up and move the ball like he did at times. If it wasn't for some woeful finishing we'd have had that game by the scruff of the neck by halftime.

Don't know much about him - how old, is he injury prone etc. but really feel as though it could be worth pushing the boat out (obviously not very far!) to get him if he's likely to be reliable.

I stand to be corrected (and doubtless will be if wrong) but it seemed as though we got rid of a lot more than we brought in last close season (and IIRC wasn't that Kelhar lad who crocked himself only on a short term contract) Other contracts up in the summer include Coke an all don't they?

Personally think this lad looks good enough to build a decent midfield around......hope the sums can work in our favour for once.

Guest wilyfox

I'd be gutted to see this one get away. His brief loan reminds us what we're missing having a quality player in the middle of the park. If Milan genuinely wants a top 10 finish, he's the calibre of player required to get us there. If his fee is a six-figure sum, I hope Mandaric finds a way to make it happen.

I'd be gutted to see this one get away. His brief loan reminds us what we're missing having a quality player in the middle of the park. If Milan genuinely wants a top 10 finish, he's the calibre of player required to get us there. If his fee is a six-figure sum, I hope Mandaric finds a way to make it happen.

Agreed.  We have been crying out for a centre mid like McGugan for ages.  Really hope we don't let this opportunity slip.

Players like McGugan don't come along very often.

When was the last time we bought a player of this quality?

Instead of taking them on for a month to benefit another club?

When could we last afford a player of this quality on those kind of wages?

Club isn't necessarily an embarrassment for not being able to match the fee and wage requirements. How mental are watford to have a player on 15k (allegedly) who doesn't even get in their team?

Playing devils advocate, hutch on a free was a steal, although his injuries haven't helped. As was lee and semedo, both on frees. May, Helan and maguire have all cost not insignificant fees. Kirkland, westwood, Lees, loovens and Buxton are all free signings that would do well in higher level champ sides.

We can and do sign quality. We just can't break the bank for it. No shame in that.

How depressing is it to see how far we have fallen?

The fall is not a recent thing though is it? We have been in this position since relegation from the prem 15 years ago. Since then we have been signing free transfers of crocks and has-been's, or loan players. At least we our free transfers of recent times have brought genuine value to the team and are the right side of 30. We cannot compete financially with a lot of championship clubs and havnt been able to for a long time, but we are making progress and have the best squad we have had in 10+ years.

When could we last afford a player of this quality on those kind of wages?

Club isn't necessarily an embarrassment for not being able to match the fee and wage requirements. How mental are watford to have a player on 15k (allegedly) who doesn't even get in their team?

Playing devils advocate, hutch on a free was a steal, although his injuries haven't helped. As was lee and semedo, both on frees. May, Helan and maguire have all cost not insignificant fees. Kirkland, westwood, Lees, loovens and Buxton are all free signings that would do well in higher level champ sides.

We can and do sign quality. We just can't break the bank for it. No shame in that.

I live in hope that one day we will have a squad full of our own players, instead of the monthly loan players.

But he's already playing here on his bigger wages.

Loads of players have come in over the past couple of years who were 'expensive'

Big difference between us paying him say, £20k a week on a permanent contract and someone else paying it whilst he's on loan here.

Apart from the fact MM won't smash his wages budget, if you are on say £30k a year in your job and your employer offers a new member of staff £40k for the same job, it's going to brass you off.

Footballers are no different in that respect.

It could be very destructive.

Anyway, it's irrelevant because we are almost certain never to sign him.

I live in hope that one day we will have a squad full of our own players, instead of the monthly loan players.

Aside from drenthe and mcgugan who else do we have on loan?

We've had hope and gtf who barely played. From what I can work out, our squad is pretty much our own players.