Steve Bracknall's Sunday League

I saw one of the football pages on Facebook picked up on this but not one person had a nice comment to say about it! Maybe they were all shandy drinking armchair fans who have never had the joy of Sunday morning football, freezing cold fingers trying to undo your laces in December or had the the smell of dubbin wafting through the living room.

All this plus (at least my league standard) the compulsory getting rat-arsed on the night before; getting home in the very early hours of Sunday morning; racing to get to the pub after the match; eating Sunday dinner from oven complete with congealed gravy; kip at some point and then out again for some more energy-restoring bevvies.

Happy days :biggrin:

Remember when watching it that it isn't a polished BBC comedy scripted by a team of writers and filmed on a huge budget.

It is pretty much the 'Sunday league' of production. A guy with a few ideas, some mates pitching in and having a laugh.

Perfect for YouTube and even better if you've been around the Sunday League football scene at all because you'll recognise so much more than average joe and get more value out of it.

For me, it gets better on repeat viewings. There's so many little bits you pick up on when you watch again.

Remember when watching it that it isn't a polished BBC comedy scripted by a team of writers and filmed on a huge budget.

It is pretty much the 'Sunday league' of production. A guy with a few ideas, some mates pitching in and having a laugh.

Perfect for YouTube and even better if you've been around the Sunday League football scene at all because you'll recognise so much more than average joe and get more value out of it.

For me, it gets better on repeat viewings. There's so many little bits you pick up on when you watch again.

How many episodes are there already done?

First of all I thought it was pretty decent, definitely will keep tabs out for future episodes.

You're right you do have to compare this to similar efforts out there... Stuff like other extreme low budget pieces or little side projects.

And yes, it's not the BBC and it's obviously not hollywood... but to be honest, even keeping this in mind I really felt the production values were far lower than I expected, and I'd imagine it being similar for a lot of other people out there.

This doesn't mean I won't watch future episodes, but I just won't be watching it for the production values, but more the content.

I know I'm probably sounding far too critical and a bit of a tøsser saying all of this, but critical is a bloody good thing if people actually listen to it rather than be super defensive.

I could bang on about the equipment that's been used, but I won't, as for me it's not just the quality of the equipment... it's all the little things like the overexposed branches in that opening static shot, mic's being too far away from subjects pretty much al the time, too much wind noise being picked up, framing the half time scene with the managers basically in shadow, that one shot which seemed hand held compared to all the others being mounted, the whole thing being filmed in interlaced footage when it's being distributed on computers that can't deal with it etc.

Seriously, just silly little mistakes which many people into film making will have made over time. But avoidable mistakes nonetheless which ultimately effect the enjoyment of the piece for many.

I also think it's a bit of a mistake to not go the mockumentary format route with something like this. It would just make it far easier to shoot, write and even make it easier for the viewer to understand why their being shown this little world... plus it would allow for breaking the fourth wall, open up interviews as potential content and even make it easier to excuse production values to some extent.

Anyway, good stuff and I'm actually looking forward to more!

Ps POWP - it'll all make sense soon ;-)

not sure what you mean by this to be honest. but if there's an explanation coming for poor audio or as to why it's interlaced footage then I'll wait till that soon comes.

Does Powp do the research for those movie mistakes programs by any chance.

No. I just work in this industry is all.