Why do we have so few black and mixed race supporters?

Well you lot can forget the new scoreboard then and heres where the money will have to be spent:

Sherdian suite becoming a prayer room.

New Halal signs at all food outlets.

Extra stewards for racist chanting/comments about the blades been pigs

No alcohol to be served in public areas.

No games in Ramadan month.

Christ the list goes on (oops shouldn't say Christ)

If your an owl just come and be part of the family,if your not then go elsewhere.

(braces himself for the left wing verbal)

yeh just like cinemas and other public spaces.

Apologies twice to Kevtheowl after the above by Viola.

But this is why i dont like the lumping together of all people if they follow a team, pop group or religion etc.

Well you lot can forget the new scoreboard then and heres where the money will have to be spent:

Sherdian suite becoming a prayer room.

New Halal signs at all food outlets.

Extra stewards for racist chanting/comments about the blades been pigs

No alcohol to be served in public areas.

No games in Ramadan month.

Christ the list goes on (oops shouldn't say Christ)

If your an owl just come and be part of the family,if your not then go elsewhere.

(braces himself for the left wing verbal)

That's it let it all out you'll feel so much better!

I have to agree that whilst memories of the bad old days of terrace racist chants still make me wince I can't say that I like the way that our language and culture is being outlawed to the extent where words and phrases expressed without a trace of racist undertones/overtones are too often held up as something sinister.

Anyway back on topic; Guru raised a good question as to why aren't we capitalising better in attracting more fans from across the spectrum of the area's population.

Edited by Dagmeister

Out of interest, do any of you know any fans from this ethnic group who attend Wednesday regularly? Not living in Sheffield, I perhaps don't now see the whole picture. When I go to Hillsborough, I generally go in the north, there are not many of us in there. At away games, it's weird to be in a crowd of 3,000 away fans and see no more than a couple of black faces. Perhaps that's slightly more understandable, as tickets go predominantly to season ticket holders who probably do fall into that generational category of family traditions. When I say weird, I mean it's so unlike anything else I'm exposed to elsewhere in this country. We live in a multi racial society, which certainly isn't reflected at Wednesday matches.

Edited by gurujuan

Its not a good question, its opening a can of worms.

I came because I wanted too, its the same for all. we live in the same country and should follow the same rules/laws.

Everyone knows where hillsborough is and if they want to come then feel free too, if not then don't.

Its racist to give free tickets to one ethinic group but not the other. We give schools from all areas of the city free tickets from time to time and that's enough for me.

Its not a good question, its opening a can of worms.

I came because I wanted too, its the same for all. we live in the same country and should follow the same rules/laws.

Everyone knows where hillsborough is and if they want to come then feel free too, if not then don't.

Its racist to give free tickets to one ethinic group but not the other. We give schools from all areas of the city free tickets from time to time and that's enough for me.

You might be right about the can of worms but it was still a good question. Maybe the answers might not turn out to be as good though so I know what you're saying.

Blunkett was asked at a wednesdayite Q&A some years ago, if there were ways to encourage ethnic minorities to attend Wednesday matches, he just laughed and it got passed on to the next question, as the longstanding MP for Brightside I imagine his response was telling the audience, that muslims in particular have little to no interest in football.

Blunkett was asked at a wednesdayite Q&A some years ago, if there were ways to encourage ethnic minorities to attend Wednesday matches, he just laughed and it got passed on to the next question, as the longstanding MP for Brightside I imagine his response was telling the audience, that muslims in particular have little to no interest in football.

Understandably perhaps, as Asians players are few and far between. Why? Well that's a question for another time. Black and mixed race footballers represent a large percentage of people playing the game professionally though, and they are also represented in most other cultural activities in which most of us have par taken

They have interest in football.

Let me break it down like a fraction for y'all.

Wednesday are not even in the top 20 teams in the country, Asian people have less affiliation to the town they are form and there parents tend not to be avid owls or blades fans.

So.... they see man u on the tele all the time and liverpool and arsenal and cheslea. They want to support someone good basically.

If you don't think muslims are into football come down eccy road when man u are on sky.

to sum up it's because we are out of catchment on Hillsborough but it's mainly because we aren't very good which is why the pigs have more of a mixed crowd but not by very much.

If you want more fans who's history is not entrenched in the owls then sign Messi and Ronaldo.

They have interest in football.

Let me break it down like a fraction for y'all.

Wednesday are not even in the top 20 teams in the country, Asian people have less affiliation to the town they are form and there parents tend not to be avid owls or blades fans.

So.... they see man u on the tele all the time and liverpool and arsenal and cheslea. They want to support someone good basically.

If you don't think muslims are into football come down eccy road when man u are on sky.

to sum up it's because we are out of catchment on Hillsborough but it's mainly because we aren't very good which is why the pigs have more of a mixed crowd but not by very much.

If you want more fans who's history is not entrenched in the owls then sign Messi and Ronaldo.

Muslim? Isn't that a religion not a race???

Stupid thread. I hate all this crap everyone is entitled to there opinion but what the hell does it matter ?? If we can get as many fans supporting Wednesday as possible does anyone care that 99 percent are white ? I don't. Were English and support Wednesday end of thread !!

Ps I'm not a Racist I want Royston to start tonight

What on earth have Wednesday done since the 90s (on the pitch I mean) to suggest that there would be an influx of any new fans, regardless of race? The ones that go nowadays were either already fans, or they're children of Wednesday fans.

If we have another period of success, another wave of new fans will appear. Some will undoubtedly be from ethnic minority groups as this section of the population has increased dramatically in recent years.

Stupid thread. I hate all this crap everyone is entitled to there opinion but what the hell does it matter ?? If we can get as many fans supporting Wednesday as possible does anyone care that 99 percent are white ? I don't. Were English and support Wednesday end of thread !!

Ps I'm not a Racist I want Royston to start tonight

Wow.....

Owlstalk Shop