Le Tour - this Sunday

Guest SHVOwl

I'm in Cambodia and slightly miffed I won't see this event live.I'm a keen cyclist and Loxley Valley is where I go twice a week.To think Le Tour is coming to that very same area is, for me, breathtaking.I just hope I can view it on some sports channel.

Anyway, at least i'll see the start of the footy season.

Pele, Clay and Cooper are names that everybody knows though, because they were famous for mastering a "proper" sport rather than what's basically a hobby. If asked to name a cyclist today I'd be stumped after Bradley Wiggins, and how many of these cycling "stars" will people remember in 30 years time? Apart from that drugs cheat one.

I just don't see the attraction of hanging about for ages just to see a load of men on bikes go past you once, it's not as if they're doing laps or something. That said, I couldn't be arsed to go and see the Olympic torch go past either, even when it was literally within a few minutes walk of my house.

seen as barry hoban,tommy simpson and beryl burton are still remembered 40 years later and in reality they were just journeymen then i´d guess everyone will be recalling the superstars of today in 30 years time..........as for the proper sport jibe if you think hurtling down a mountain at 60 mph balancing on a piece of rubber less than half an inch wide is just an hobby then you dont understand what road racing is about ..

Anyone thinking of travelling to other parts of Yorkshire to see the tour Northern Rail are selling tickets with unlimited travel around the county where the tour is going through for only £10 for one day or £15 for both days.

Even if you're not bothered about the tour and fancy a day out it's not bad that, you can get to York from Sheffield return for a tenner.

www.northernrail.co.uk/tourdefrance

Edited by owl-zat

seen as barry hoban,tommy simpson and beryl burton are still remembered 40 years later and in reality they were just journeymen then i´d guess everyone will be recalling the superstars of today in 30 years time..........as for the proper sport jibe if you think hurtling down a mountain at 60 mph balancing on a piece of rubber less than half an inch wide is just an hobby then you dont understand what road racing is about ..

Remembered by who? I've definitely never heard of them, and I'd imagine that most non-cycling fans haven't either.

ZZZZzzzzz same old cyclists vs drivers debate. The thread is about the TdF which 3 billion people will be watching world wide! I do agree its a bit annoying Sheffield hasn't done more to promote it in the city (going on what's been said here as I live in London).

Anyway, I can't wait for it. Even if you don't like cycling, the 'caravan' and the rest of the procession hours before the cyclists even come through will be a spectacle in itself. The economic benefits to the region will be huge and cities like Manchester and Liverpool will be gutted we've got a stage.

Cycling up to watch a climb or two on stage 1 then I'm route marshalling on stage 2 so hopefully will get close to the action.

Allez Allez!

This is so true

Often while driving I see drivers in front moving over to the kerb to squeeze cyclists

I wouldn't dare cycle on the road, there's far too many lunatics driving vehicles

What I don't undestand

There must be miles and miles of pavements in Sheffield that rarely get walked on

Wouldn't it be safer for cyclists for these paths to be converted so cyclists and pedestrians can use

When you pass the old Middlewood Hotel, on Middlewood road

There is a pavement there that stretches almost to Outighbridge

Pedestrians only rarely use it

Surely it would be far safer to allow cyclists to use this path

There's lots of aths like this throughout Sheffield

Brightside Land stretches almost from Meadowhalll, right into the Wicker, I never see anyone using this pavement

Come on Sheffield Council, sort it.

You mean like this 

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/works/schemes/penistone-road.html

or like this TPT The TPT in and around sheffield is very much underused.

Remembered by who? I've definitely never heard of them, and I'd imagine that most non-cycling fans haven't either.

cant believe you have never heard of of tommy simpson & beryl burton 2 of yorkshire´s finest ...... simpson  rode for the the rotherham wheelers club in the 60s does that not ring a bell ?. lol

Actually just read this again. If I understand you correctly.

You are indicating early as you move slowly forward.

So presumably you are not at the roundabout and not about to turn.

Crawling along.

And you just decide to pull across and block a cyclist?

But you're not the tugger.

OK

The operative words being "moving" and "turning" and early should maybe have been earlier than normal to stop our Eddie Killing himself

..................................and undertaking is stupid whatever mode of transport you're using

Edited by Lawrie Madden

i forget which country ( might even be us ) a road was done away with and vehicles , pedestrians and cyclists all had the same right of way and there were no accidents , down to as everyone had the same right of way everyone was extra vigilant . main problem is people view pavement for pedestrians and the road for cars and thats it . because cyclists are not easily noticed coupled with lack of vigilance and added to that an amount of cyclists who behave as they please is a lethal combination . but aparently theres s race on on sunday :)

The village of Poynton (near me between Stockport and Macclesfield) introduced a 'shared space' village centre last year. Vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians all have an equal right of way.

Kerbs have been lowered and formal pedestrian crossings have been replaced by informal crossings marked by contrasting brickwork on the road surface. I would suggest the scheme has made all road users more considerate to the others, although traffic can buid up on the main thouroughfare at busy times as traffic does move at a slower pace along the main pedestrian shopping street. But I do feel that it has introduced a much more pleasant atmosphere to the village centre from a pedestrains perspective.