Le Tour - this Sunday

Yeah cyclists throwing themselves in front of cars. That's gonna happen.

I'm talking about the ones "falling off" when parked at lights etc

oh wait that dont happen as THEY DON'T WAIT AT FOOOOOKIN LIGHTS!!!! lol

on a serious note it will happen, to many folk are wrappeped up in the "where there's a blame there's a claim culture"

i forget which country ( might even be us ) a road was done away with and vehicles , pedestrians and cyclists all had the same right of way and there were no accidents , down to as everyone had the same right of way everyone was extra vigilant . main problem is people view pavement for pedestrians and the road for cars and thats it . because cyclists are not easily noticed coupled with lack of vigilance and added to that an amount of cyclists who behave as they please is a lethal combination . but aparently theres s race on on sunday :)

You might mean Norway where they did away with the road markings which made everyone more vigilant thus reducing the number of accidents

are the roads in amsterdam like ours or is it better for cyclists over there ?

Hollands roads are far better for both drivers and cyclists. If you look closer to home at Cambridge its a sign of affluence if you cycle to work as those that do tend to live within a few miles of the city centre.

But back to the Tour if it inspires a few kids off their PS3s to go out and do something healthy then surely thats a good thing.

I don't know anyone that actually cares about this. 

What would you actually see anyway? A load of blokes on bikes that all look the same for about 5 seconds. 

i´m a fanatical cyclist but i have to agree with you .....la vuelta(spanish version) was in our town 2 years ago we all went down to watch it, they were thru and gone within 30 seconds......its a great sport to do and watching on the telly is fine but as a spectator sport road racing is a very acquired taste .  

It doesn't to any extent elsewhere.

And the Dutch model, has exclusions for reckless behaviour, or deliberate actions, so it would be unlikely to be successful.

It may just help to change driver attitudes though.

And there we have have it 90% on push irons ride like no one else is on the road including people crossing the roads when lights are on RED

but we digress the point of this post is about a sporting event, that if done correctly could bring in a massive amount of tourisum to the area

and Sheffild city council are doing nothing like Leeds have to rake the money and exposure in

And yet that behaviour is responsible for very few accidents...

And statistics show that where there is fault in collisions between cyclists and motorists, it is largely the motorists at fault...

I drive a lot for my work, I also cycle.

While doing both things I witness nobbers in both forms of transport, but the vast majority are motorists.

Every time this subject gets discussed, we get drivers whining on about cyclists, yet every bit of evidence suggests, they are the ones who need to improve their roadcraft.

Well, all that might have truth in it but what gets me about cyclists is the way they invade pedestrian space with presumed impunity and then are incredibly obnoxious if you dare to pull them up for it. As they don't have number plates (or any form of insurance - why is that legal???) they get away with this even where there are CCTV cameras. Some poor sod I saw nearly being killed by one of these nutters who was using a pelican crossing to cross the road at high speed, told me he had tried to get the police interested as the mad b*stard was always up to this trick as this poor bloke was making his way to work. Predictably, he was told they could do nothing without a name and address. I myself have nearly been mown down by these bast*rds who ride at maniac speeds past you from behind without any warning (miserable sh1ts won't even pay for a bell, apparantly). How many people have been injured in that way with little or no proof to nail the senseless tw@t responsible is a mystery. To me bicycles are like air guns and quad bikes - use them if you like, but on private land where they will do no damage, unless you are prepared to be properly licenced, insured and have a registration plate so you can be held to account if you break the traffic laws or cause a nuisance. 

Bah!

Well, all that might have truth in it but what gets me about cyclists is the way they invade pedestrian space with presumed impunity and then are incredibly obnoxious if you dare to pull them up for it. As they don't have number plates (or any form of insurance - why is that legal???) they get away with this even where there are CCTV cameras. Some poor sod I saw nearly being killed by one of these nutters who was using a pelican crossing to cross the road at high speed, told me he had tried to get the police interested as the mad b*stard was always up to this trick as this poor bloke was making his way to work. Predictably, he was told they could do nothing without a name and address. I myself have nearly been mown down by these bast*rds who ride at maniac speeds past you from behind without any warning (miserable sh1ts won't even pay for a bell, apparantly). How many people have been injured in that way with little or no proof to nail the senseless tw@t responsible is a mystery. To me bicycles are like air guns and quad bikes - use them if you like, but on private land where they will do no damage, unless you are prepared to be properly licenced, insured and have a registration plate so you can be held to account if you break the traffic laws or cause a nuisance. 

Bah!

John will be back in an hour when he has done some reserch that proves push iron riders are the nicest people on the planet

lol

I drive a lot for my work, I also cycle.

While doing both things I witness nobbers in both forms of transport, but the vast majority are motorists.

Every time this subject gets discussed, we get drivers whining on about cyclists, yet every bit of evidence suggests, they are the ones who need to improve their roadcraft.

This is so true

Often while driving I see drivers in front moving over to the kerb to squeeze cyclists

I wouldn't dare cycle on the road, there's far too many lunatics driving vehicles

What I don't undestand

There must be miles and miles of pavements in Sheffield that rarely get walked on

Wouldn't it be safer for cyclists for these paths to be converted so cyclists and pedestrians can use

When you pass the old Middlewood Hotel, on Middlewood road

There is a pavement there that stretches almost to Outighbridge

Pedestrians only rarely use it

Surely it would be far safer to allow cyclists to use this path

There's lots of aths like this throughout Sheffield

Brightside Land stretches almost from Meadowhalll, right into the Wicker, I never see anyone using this pavement

Come on Sheffield Council, sort it.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Which is why introducing strict liability, where in collisions between vehicles and cyclists, the vehicle is assumed to be at fault unless he/she can prove otherwise, would help.

and thats fair why ?

Which other Crime are you guilty unless YOU can prove you are innocent 

Example this morning driving down Greenhill Road to the roundabout at Abbey Road . 

As usual there is a fair amount of traffic and its moving very slowly im indicating that im turning left at the Roundabout indicating early because i see in my mirror Eddie Merckx is trying to use the foot and half of space between my van and the kerb to undertake me and not wanting to have to clean him off my nearside wheels i want to let him know im turning, cue loads of abuse when on seeing that our Eddie isn't interested in the fact that 2 and half ton of vehicle is about crush him and is persisting in trying to undertake so i move closer to the kerb to save him from himself and apparently i'm the tugger.

Now im not overly bothered about Cyclists committing suicide but as even i have heard about all the Cyclists in London being killed doing this self same thing undertaking buses and lorries you would have thought our Lycra Clad Oakleyed up Eddie might be aware how monumentally stupid he was being.

As a Motor Cycle Rider i took several advanced rider courses a couple with the Police on how to ride defensively and the first thing i was told on all of them is in an Accident you will always come off worst so don't deliberately put yourself in danger yet i see pedal cyclists doing just that on a daily basis

Edited by Lawrie Madden

A cyclist took my wing mirror off about 6 months ago when I was waiting to turn right at a junction. 

Don't think he realised he hit my car and cycled off.

From that day  I've been a strong believer in cars having front and side plow-like side skirts and front bumpers to ram them off the roads.

Unsurprisingly this occurred in Sheffield.

When I drive in York; the Cyclists have common sense. 

A cyclist took my wing mirror off about 6 months ago when I was waiting to turn right at a junction. 

Don't think he realised he hit my car and cycled off.

From that day  I've been a strong believer in cars having front and side plow-like side skirts and front bumpers to ram them off the roads.

Unsurprisingly this occurred in Sheffield.

When I drive in York; the Cyclists have common sense. 

Come to York with me on Fridays buddy the nutter cyclists must come out on fridays especially down Lord mayors Walk

I'd be up for a compulsory cycling proficiency test before riding on roads, but you'll never get rid of all idiots - same as a driving license doesn't. I'd also like non cyclists to experience it on the roads for the day to appreciate how scary it can be getting whistled past by a 2 tonne lump of metal about 3 ft from your body cos they can't be bothered to wait for a suitable gap

Is Lord mayors walk the road near the University?

On the handful of tiimes I've been down that road, I'll admit Cyclists seem mental.

I'd assume they're all students and Lecturers not from York as they never look when they turn into the car park and assume you'll have seen them cut across the front of you .

On the handful of tiimes I've been down that road, I'll admit Cyclists seem mental.

I'd assume they're all students and Lecturers not from York as they never look when they turn into the car park and assume you'll have seen them cut across the front of you .

Thats the one

Thats the one