Stuart Gray

Guest gotcha_Owls

If my Dad had worked in football I would not have dreamed of arranging my wedding for a Saturday during the football season.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. His son should have arranged his wedding for after the season has finished (when I'm sure the weather will be nicer) or on a Friday which is actually cheaper.

Stuart Gray should be at Hillsborough today.

I don't have one single problem with this.

I also can't fathom out why anyone else would have one.

Stuart Gray is an employee wanting some time off for an important day in his and his son's life. We'd ALL do the same.

Who the f*** are we to even question it?

We'd all do the same?

It always makes my laugh when people try and compare football with the type of work the majority of people do.

Am I right in assuming that you'd be ok with it if we were 10 points worse off and Chris Kirkland wanted to book the day off to attend a family event such as a wedding?

Or how about we start allowing footballers the whole of Christmas day off to spend with their families (as I'm sure everyone who posts on here gets) even when they've a Boxing Day fixture at the other side of the country the next day.

Football is nothing like everyday employment and the two cannot be compared.

We'd all do the same?

It always makes my laugh when people try and compare football with the type of work the majority of people do.

Am I right in assuming that you'd be ok with it if we were 10 points worse off and Chris Kirkland wanted to book the day off to attend a family event such as a wedding?

Or how about we start allowing footballers the whole of Christmas day off to spend with their families (as I'm sure everyone who posts on here gets) even when they've a Boxing Day fixture at the other side of the country the next day.

Football is nothing like everyday employment and the two cannot be compared.

Football is not a everyday job, i'm not stupid enough to realise that.

However, this date was known for months, acceptable time off as agreed with the Gray and his boss. Just like normal employment.

Also, I wouldn't have a problem with Kirkland missing the game if it was agreed months ago (like Gray). Plenty of notice is acceptable, as in the Gray instance is acceptable.

The Christmas Day example you've used is absolutely irrelevant. That day is known as a working day for footballers, all footballers accept that and is probably part of their contracts. So not quite sure you're point on that one.

Weddings & Funerals are important days, that should be attended by grandparents, parents, sons & daughters. Things that are more important than one football match at Hillsborough.

You said earlier "Stuart Gray is an employee wanting some time off for an important day in his and his sons life, we'd all do the same".

That to me is drawing direct comparisons between everyday employment and football.

Also with regards to the Christmas day example and you stating it being considered a working day in football, I'd also consider every Saturday (including today) a working day in football too.

As mentioned previously, knowing his dad works in football, you'd have thought his son would have made the wedding day on a Friday or during pre season.

Stuart Gray should be at Hillsborough today and I think it's pretty poor he isn't. I'm also not so sure that if we were 10 points worse off, an awful lot of posters on here wouldn't be half as relaxed as they seem now about.

You said earlier "Stuart Gray is an employee wanting some time off for an important day in his and his sons life, we'd all do the same".

That to me is drawing direct comparisons between everyday employment and football.

Also with regards to the Christmas day example and you stating it being considered a working day in football, I'd also consider every Saturday (including today) a working day in football too.

As mentioned previously, knowing his dad works in football, you'd have thought his son would have made the wedding day on a Friday or during pre season.

Stuart Gray should be at Hillsborough today and I think it's pretty poor he isn't. I'm also not so sure that if we were 10 points worse off, an awful lot of posters on here wouldn't be half as relaxed as they seem now about.

Few points.

Gray is an employee and there are comparisons to be made between "everyday emoloyment" and "football employment". Of course there are comparisons. These are people, just like us. Doing paid work, just like us. Wanting to go to a special (hopefully) one in a lifetime event (the wedding), just like us.

So yes, the comparison is there. Easy to understand.

The Christmas day comparison is irrelevant, because Christmas Day is every year, while a sons Wedding is (hopefully) once in a lifetime. A big day in his sons life and the life of most Mums & Dads. It's a special day, on a completely different level to Christmas Day.

Organised leave is perfectly acceptable in any job, if it's arranged correctly and given with plenty of notice, as this was.

One football match pales into insignificance for a man.

I would do exactly the same as Milan has done and I would do exactly the same as Stuart has done.

Not a problem at all.

I do however, agree with your point about his son and (future) daughter in law organising a wedding on a Saturday during a football season. But what can Gray do about that?

Edited by BRADDAZ

Not at all surprised that some are going to use this as an opportunity to moan and complain. Things have been far too rosey and positive recently haven't they.

Personally I have no issue with it at all. I just hope we win, because if we don't there's no doubt it'll be used as a stick to beat SG with at some point down the line.

If my Dad had worked in football I would not have dreamed of arranging my wedding for a Saturday during the football season.

Hmmm. Isn't it a significant weekend for marriages? Lots of men and women wanting to get married today to celebrate a change in the laws of this country. Could there be two grooms and no brides at the wedding? If it is this type of wedding, my guess is that Stuart Gray's son has been dreaming about arranging this wedding for a very long time.

Guest brimowl

Was gray already employed when Wednesday approached him I can't remember. He made it quite clear to the club back in 2012 so for people to moan now is incredible.

Guest sotonowl

Regardless of parent's jobs there is no way a man should marry in the football season. What is he thinking?

I got to get ready for the cricket season?

Know nothing about his son but maybe he doesn't have any interest in football. Not all sons of butchers want to chop up meat!

Wedding was probably arranged when SG was assistant not top man which would then have probably gone unnoticed.

Guest Big Guns

Hmmm. Isn't it a significant weekend for marriages? Lots of men and women wanting to get married today to celebrate a change in the laws of this country. Could there be two grooms and no brides at the wedding? If it is this type of wedding, my guess is that Stuart Gray's son has been dreaming about arranging this wedding for a very long time.

Not if he's a Muslim there not allowed to be gay