Joe Mattock

Buxtons best position is right back of course but is steady across the back four. Can't remember any lower league right wingers giving him the run around unlike Mattock v Macclesfield.

Mattock had a bad game against Macclesfield, but point out a Wednesday player who didn't

He's been quite solid recently and as he gets up to speed with more games and hopefully a period of time injury free, should get better.

He's far from flawless, but he's perfectly capable imo

Mattock has the ability, he needs to fully buy in to the new work and footballing ethic under gray. He will be great for us if he does.

Do we need to contemplate the horrible prospect of reda not pulling on the shirt again. Really struggling to shake off the injuries and contract up at the end of the season i think. Just hope we give him time rather than rush him and he recovers completely.

Semedo is a defensive midfielder, he defends the midfield

Palmer is now effectively an RB, he does the same job as Buxton

Maguire is a pacy striker, he runs and scores

Reda is a LB, he has a free role, like Messi

So you can't remember Buxton being slaughtered by most of L1 in our first seaon in that division? He only got back in because Otsemobor was worse.

My point is, all those players put the effort and Mattock is found wanting in this department. No excuse for not running beyond winger especially against ten men.

Reda a left back free role like Messi? Yeaaaahhh!

Fair do's but can you list the good things that he did too?

Probably, but then it has largely been his errors which have stood out more in the last couple of games given the overall standard of the team. Particularly against Barnsley when at 0-0 and them playing with all 10 men behind the ball, we could have done with him getting forward and creating more space for Maghoma et al. That was less necessary on Saturday given we were ahead against 10 and needed not to take too many chances, but there were still occasions when I thought he was too hesitant.

I do think he looks better positionally than Reda on the whole, but as I said originally, I am still to be convinced that his all-round game is what we need at left back in the longer term. I'll obviously be delighted if this area of his game improves.

My point is, all those players put the effort and Mattock is found wanting in this department. No excuse for not running beyond winger especially against ten men.

Reda a left back free role like Messi? Yeaaaahhh!

He ran beyond the winger numerous times Saturday.

The best can be seen in the 'hello' thread...

Guest JonTheOwl66

Reda a left back free role like Messi? Yeaaaahhh!

Have you ever heard of tactics before by any chance?

The main excuse for not running beyond the winger is if he has been instructed not to do so.

Which could be possible as the leftsided wideman didn't track back as much as he should, although again he may have been instructed to stay forward, and if the centrehalf on your side is susceptible to the ball over the top.

There was also a big difference in circumstances in the Barnsley/reading games.

We were the home side v Barnsley & they parked the bus. Pushing mattock on would have left us very open to the counter.

V reading, they we're the home side chasing the game. They were always going to push on & try and cause problems hence leaving plenty of space for us to exploit & we did so many times including with mattock.

.You lot must have been at a different game from me on saturday, thought he was our worst player on the pitch on and off the ball

He made one good run doing a one-two with Helan but that was it. Otherwise he was the only player to give the ball away more than a few times and he failed to get back, if Llera and Semi weren't on fire we would have been punished.

Reda is superior, i will leave it at that.

When playing against ten men and a 4-4-1 formation ie v Barnsley there is nothing tactical nor any excuse for a modern day left back to sit behind left winger! Ever wonder why we struggled so much to break them down?

I think Mattock gets slagged off for his lack of effort and obvious short comings and nothing more.

It's like cash in the bloomin' attic. We keep finding little gems that we've tucked away as junk for ages.

i still think danny mayor will come good only seen him twice but thought i'd seen a player might be wrong but he's never given a chance like a few others 

So you'd rather play Buxton out of position at LB? Have you forgotten how DIRE he was when he was getting used to playing at RB when he first came?

As for a player that doesn't go through the motions, other than Lee, we don't have one.

Buxton had a spell at left back, with semi at right back. He was excellent.

A player that doesn't got through the motions!!

As for getting it right? Well, the Macclesfield winger doing him, the red card at Rochdale and the lack of support for Maghoma against a ten man Barnsley indicates he isn't getting it right.

I hope I turn out to be wrong about Mattock as it means we will have another goood player but the evidence so far suggests otherwise. The fact that there seems to be some "opinion" that he has done OK for 4 and 1/2 games doesn't suddenly mean we have a better option than Reda who is currently at the club because we don't.

Reda, Helan, Buxton, Mattock in that order for left back.

You're seriously using the red card as a reason to have a pop at him, even when 99.9% of people said it was a ridiculous decision??