"Terrible Catastrophe at Owlerton" 100 years ago today.

I came across this photograph for sale on a sports photo site. (for a mere £320!).

Wednesday were playing Wolves in a 2nd round FA Cup replay when a retaining wall collapsed during the  February 4th, 1914. 75 people were injured, none fatally. The game was stopped but, once resumed, Wednesday went on to win 1-0.  Goal by Sam Kirkman.  Attendance 43,050. 

Along the top is printed the date and the title "Terrible Catastrophe at Owlerton". The photograph was owned by Teddy Davison, the Sheffield Wednesday and England goalkeeper, and there is a lengthy caption in his handwriting to the lower border.

1914_zps7574ea79.jpg

A Government enquiry determined that the wall collapse resulted from the extra weight of the large hats and long coats which the Wednesday faithful (aka The Hillsborough Heavies) had taken to wearing. The government swiftly ruled that to avoid any repeat of the 'Terrible Catastrophe' future matches at Owlerton were to be attended by males wearing nothing on their top half. Although the law was eventually repealed in an effort to boost the clothing trade as the impact of WWI began to bite, a hard-core of Wednesday supporters established the 'no shirt' tradition. Ironically, the 'no shirt' tradition has continued into the present day in the somewhat weighty form of 'Tango'!

There's some top quality pointing from the man on the far right, just in front of the crush barrier and that weird white ghostly figure that someone is trying to pick up.

terrible indeed ..... some of them have lost there caps .....

Fallen hats?

Oh the humanity!

I assume it is in this corner and that white bit in the Top photo is the remains  of the wall which can be seen below  perhaps it was Tango's Great Grandad bouncing?   Photo from 1913.

derby1913_zpsce3b9540.jpg

Edited by dunsbyowl

Is it me or does the 'terracing' on the 1st photo look like gravel or soil with a crash barrier on it?

I know in later years, the Kop hump was originally earth for a while. My dad said he used to stand up there sometimes.

Most terracing in those days was simply earth with cinders on top and wooden boarding to keep it in place.

Is it me or does the 'terracing' on the 1st photo look like gravel or soil with a crash barrier on it?

I know in later years, the Kop hump was originally earth for a while. My dad said he used to stand up there sometimes.

Yep thats correct -- to bring things up to date the Wigan match in the cup at Springfield park , back in Big Jacks days , we were stood on a "kop" which was clinker and soil with a couple of crush barriers . Thats if my ageing mind can remember :biggrin:  Finished sludged up to the eyeballs :rolleyes: