"Terrible Catastrophe at Owlerton" 100 years ago today.

My great granddad was at this match and got a b0llocking from my g grandmother cause he ripped his best suit.

just to follow on people wondering how many fell during the war, my g grandad went on to fight at the battle of the somme which luckily he survived.

This map is OS 1905. It’s possible that the tower in ‘Catastrophe’ photo is that at Wardsend Steel Works next to what is now Herries Rd

Help anyone.

How do I cut/paste an image from my PC into this thread? Can't make head nor tails of onsite advice.

"Default Uploader
The default uploader allows you to upload attachments one at a time. To begin, press the button. A box will appear for you to select the file on your computer that you want to attach. Select the file you want to upload."

What button?

Is there anywhere I can view other OS areas of Sheffield online, sites etc? 

Mark - If you want to buy some reprints there are some great ones on here covering most of Sheffield - I think they only cost a couple of pounds and are fantastic.  I think you can get them at Sheffield Scene by the Town Hall or by post

http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/sheffield.htm

There are numerous old maps online here including most of Sheffield on 1950s os maps

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/forum/42-sheffield-maps/

You can see some on here but not easy to use

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html

Is there anywhere I can view other OS areas of Sheffield online, sites etc? 

Mark, the map I pasted in was one of many ‘Godfrey Edition’ OS maps that cover Sheffield and elsewhere.

These maps tend to be from OS originals put together at the turn of the 19th & 20th centuries. Originally, they were 25 miles to the inch. Godfrey’s have zoomed in and produced 15 miles to the inch versions.

The section I pasted (and should have acknowledged) here was “Sheffield (Hillsborough) 1902”, though the map itself seems to be 1905. For you interest, I’ve pasted a copy of the front and rear cover of this map. You and other Owlstalkers will like the front cover picture.

I’m not sure about online, by which I assume you mean free. Given how cheap the Godfrey Editions are (about £2.50), I’ve just bought a few that cover my area of interest: Sheffield, esp. North & West. Fascinating and cost less than a pint.

The maps can be bought online at: http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/sheffield.htm

post-36738-0-14452500-1391586896_thumb.j

post-36738-0-65678400-1391586924_thumb.j

Large piece in Sheffield Star about this last week. Wrong type of mortar caused the newly built wall to collapse. Official crowd was nowhere near a truer estimate of 65k.

Yes, Ferret, the Sheffield Star did a piece on 29th Jan (2014) on the 1914 ‘Catastrophe.

In this 2014 story, The Star used a facsimile picture of the headline from Yorkshire Telegraph and Star of 5th Feb 1914.

I’ve pasted this 1914 headline. Johnson Publishing has the copyright as they have for this text from the January 2014 text:-

“Hundreds of football fans were crushed when a brick and concrete wall at Sheffield Wednesday’s stadium collapsed during an FA Cup tie against Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Only good fortune and the heroic response of both other fans and emergency fire crews prevented any deaths – but more than 80 people had to be rushed to hospital. Broken limbs, shattered ribs and torn spines were reported amid the carnage.

“We were all packed together like herrings in a box under the wall,” one fan told this newspaper, then called the Yorkshire Telegraph & Star.

â€œThere was suddenly a crush and we were thrown to the ground by a terrific weight of bricks on top of us. I was in complete darkness and could scarcely breathe, nor could I move and I simply had to wait there until some friendly fellow came to help remove the bricks on top of me and lift me out of the darkness.”

It was a terrible end to a day – February 4, 1914 – which had started with such promise.

Wednesday were then one of football’s giants. In the previous decade they had won the league title twice and the FA Cup, and had finished third in the league the previous season. The club, although then struggling against relegation, had every reason to hope for a good cup run when they were drawn against Wolves in the third round.

Hillsborough itself, meanwhile, had never looked so impressive. The ground – which had been renamed from Owlerton Stadium the year before – had been vastly improved the previous summer. Some £18,000 had been spent on a transformed South St and which included 5,600 new seats as well as offices, dressing rooms and a billiard room underneath. The Penistone Road end, where the tragedy would unfold, had also been improved.

“At least 3,000 supporters were reported to have made the journey from Staffordshire,” says Alexander Mills, who has researched the incident as part of a book he is compiling on notable incidents attended by South Yorkshire fire-fighters. “

That made the official attendance 43,500 – more than double the usual home gate.

Trams were packed and roads congested on the way to the ground, it is reported. Supporters of both sides wore top hats and carried paper trophies as they made their way to the stadium.

In a bad-tempered game, Wednesday took the lead early on, but the ground was still filling when the teams came out for the second half.

Disaster struck with 12 minutes left. A new 10ft brick and concrete wall in the Penistone Road end collapsed under the swaying weight of the crowd. Huge chunks of debris crushed mainly home spectators underneath. Fans at the front were sent surging onto the pitch as others pushed to escape.

Alex, 29, of Walkley, said:

“At first, the seriousness of the incident was not fully understood by onlookers in other parts of the ground. Many thought the crowd had deliberately broken through a wooden barricade at the front of the stand

“But as spectators piled onto the playing surface, the true seriousness of the emergency quickly became clear.”

Firefighters from across Sheffield were rushed to offer emergency help, as police on duty were left overwhelmed. They tended to the injured and tried to restore order on the pitch and in the stands.

“Many of the legs and heads of the spectators presented a ghastly appearance,” reported the Yorkshire Telegraph & Star.“

Many of those who had fallen managed to scramble to their feet, but others were trampled on by the surging crowd. Spectators were seen to be struggling frantically to escape the seething mass beneath.”

First reports found the wall’s collapse to be due to the use of cheap mortar to bind bricks together, instead of more costly cement.

But this newspaper also noted that “the absence of an adequate number of police was a matter of serious comment on the part of many of the awe-struck crowd. Indeed, throughout the whole game the police were conspicuous by their absence.”

Incredibly, after a long delay, the match was restarted and finished 1-0 to Wednesday.

The Owls would go out of the cup in the next round, while the disaster would be largely forgotten.”

post-36738-0-67886900-1391588724_thumb.j

post-36738-0-00069800-1391589014_thumb.j

Yes, Ferret, the Sheffield Star did a piece on 29th Jan (2014) on the 1914 ‘Catastrophe.

In this 2014 story, The Star used a facsimile picture of the headline from Yorkshire Telegraph and Star of 5th Feb 1914.

I’ve pasted this 1914 headline. Johnson Publishing has the copyright as they have for this text from the January 2014 text:-

“Hundreds of football fans were crushed when a brick and concrete wall at Sheffield Wednesday’s stadium collapsed during an FA Cup tie against Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Only good fortune and the heroic response of both other fans and emergency fire crews prevented any deaths – but more than 80 people had to be rushed to hospital. Broken limbs, shattered ribs and torn spines were reported amid the carnage.

“We were all packed together like herrings in a box under the wall,” one fan told this newspaper, then called the Yorkshire Telegraph & Star.

â€œThere was suddenly a crush and we were thrown to the ground by a terrific weight of bricks on top of us. I was in complete darkness and could scarcely breathe, nor could I move and I simply had to wait there until some friendly fellow came to help remove the bricks on top of me and lift me out of the darkness.”

It was a terrible end to a day – February 4, 1914 – which had started with such promise.

Wednesday were then one of football’s giants. In the previous decade they had won the league title twice and the FA Cup, and had finished third in the league the previous season. The club, although then struggling against relegation, had every reason to hope for a good cup run when they were drawn against Wolves in the third round.

Hillsborough itself, meanwhile, had never looked so impressive. The ground – which had been renamed from Owlerton Stadium the year before – had been vastly improved the previous summer. Some £18,000 had been spent on a transformed South St and which included 5,600 new seats as well as offices, dressing rooms and a billiard room underneath. The Penistone Road end, where the tragedy would unfold, had also been improved.

“At least 3,000 supporters were reported to have made the journey from Staffordshire,” says Alexander Mills, who has researched the incident as part of a book he is compiling on notable incidents attended by South Yorkshire fire-fighters. “

That made the official attendance 43,500 – more than double the usual home gate.

Trams were packed and roads congested on the way to the ground, it is reported. Supporters of both sides wore top hats and carried paper trophies as they made their way to the stadium.

In a bad-tempered game, Wednesday took the lead early on, but the ground was still filling when the teams came out for the second half.

Disaster struck with 12 minutes left. A new 10ft brick and concrete wall in the Penistone Road end collapsed under the swaying weight of the crowd. Huge chunks of debris crushed mainly home spectators underneath. Fans at the front were sent surging onto the pitch as others pushed to escape.

Alex, 29, of Walkley, said:

“At first, the seriousness of the incident was not fully understood by onlookers in other parts of the ground. Many thought the crowd had deliberately broken through a wooden barricade at the front of the stand

“But as spectators piled onto the playing surface, the true seriousness of the emergency quickly became clear.”

Firefighters from across Sheffield were rushed to offer emergency help, as police on duty were left overwhelmed. They tended to the injured and tried to restore order on the pitch and in the stands.

“Many of the legs and heads of the spectators presented a ghastly appearance,” reported the Yorkshire Telegraph & Star.“

Many of those who had fallen managed to scramble to their feet, but others were trampled on by the surging crowd. Spectators were seen to be struggling frantically to escape the seething mass beneath.”

First reports found the wall’s collapse to be due to the use of cheap mortar to bind bricks together, instead of more costly cement.

But this newspaper also noted that “the absence of an adequate number of police was a matter of serious comment on the part of many of the awe-struck crowd. Indeed, throughout the whole game the police were conspicuous by their absence.”

Incredibly, after a long delay, the match was restarted and finished 1-0 to Wednesday.

The Owls would go out of the cup in the next round, while the disaster would be largely forgotten.”

Excellent thanks Jack. Not totally forgotten ;-)