Wanted, One Multi Billionaire Owner

20 years ago we were better on the field than Chelsea and Man City, their huge investment from sugar daddies has made them into global forces. Chelsea were a decent side when Abramovich took over but reportedly on the verge of going bust until he took them to the next level. City were a midtable side who benefitted from being the club chosen to be a billionaire's plaything.

It's therefore not impossible to think that an already big club such as us, or the likes of Villa or Sunderland, could become major challengers with a billionaire throwing his money at it - but unfortunately these days there are now more super rich clubs to compete with, so even a substantial investment isn't a guarantee of success. It's going to get to the stage soon when you need a mega wealthy backer just to tread water in the Premier League. 

Edited by alanharper

Guest 5512uto

Has potential to be top 5 premiership team with the right investment.

lol  The sooner our fans realise this is not going to be the case for a long, long time the better

Guest Distraught!

I pitty you if your aspiration is to be like Swansea or Norwich. I want to be the next Man City or Chelsea personally.

You mean way past the point that they can be self financing and relying entirely on cash injection to support them such that, if the financial supply line for any reason at all is severed, the club will go into instant nosedive and probably self destruct under the mountain of debt they have created? I am not joking. Sooner or later, one of these so called Big Five are going to capitulate and it ain't going to be much fun for them when it happens.

I pitty you if your aspiration is to be like Swansea or Norwich. I want to be the next Man City or Chelsea personally.

No, you misunderstand...

Of course we want to be as big as Man City and Chelsea. 

However, i'd rather we did it the right way rather than spend spend spend. 

That speaks volumes.

Swansea are a fantastic model that many a club should aspire to follow.

But no, spend spend spend and contribute to the downfall of the game as we know it eh.

You mean way past the point that they can be self financing and relying entirely on cash injection to support them such that, if the financial supply line for any reason at all is severed, the club will go into instant nosedive and probably self destruct under the mountain of debt they have created? I am not joking. Sooner or later, one of these so called Big Five are going to capitulate and it ain't going to be much fun for them when it happens.

That speaks volumes.

But no, spend spend spend and contribute to the downfall of the game as we know it eh.

Arsene Wenger would love you two (and for what its worth I fully agree who wouldn't want to be like Swansea?)

Please note. Under FFP rules in the Championship clubs cannot make a loss of more than £8million in a season. If they do they face a fine or a points docking. So even if Bill Gates took over he wouldn't be able to plow billions into the team. Unless we're going to suddenly sell another 10k season tickets, or sell sponsorship naming of the stadium for a MASSIVE amount of money we ain't gonna be able to buy our way out of the Championship anytime soon.

Close. This season its "acceptable losses" of £5m, and shareholder equity investment of no more than £8m.

This reduces next season, and again the season after.

Doesn't matter how big your bank account is if you can't spend it (FFP)

If a Multi Billionaire bought us, then his company sponsored us for a silly amount then he could pump in as much as he wanted and the revenue earned on sponsorship would offset the cost of spending loads on players...... so you can spend it if its coming in.

Or get a MASSIVE sponsorship deal by the owners mate dog.There are loop holes there to be exploited big style snd any good business man will have these sussed.

This is the first year that the rules are actually being enforced. How do you know there are loopholes to be exploited?

How do you know what the Football League will and wont allow?

If a Multi Billionaire bought us, then his company sponsored us for a silly amount then he could pump in as much as he wanted and the revenue earned on sponsorship would offset the cost of spending loads on players...... so you can spend it if its coming in.

That would be the same as director funding. If the company sponsoring for stupid amounts was found the linked to the owners of the club, then the rules would still apply and there would be implications.

However, if you decide to spend a million quid in the club shop, the club can spend that as it is generated income. How many mugs and scarves are you in the market for?

Think you're missing the point that was being made. You won't get clubs (below the PL) being able to spend stupid amounts of money now that FFP is in place and the whole point of it being introduced was to stop owners like the ones at Man City and Chelsea from inflating the market and killing off smaller clubs. Just look at Leicester for example. They haven't spent a penny in the summer and have only brought in a freebie from League One. The owners there have needed to cut their cloth accordingly. I think we've missed the boat with the whole billionaire thing! 

What if the billionaire sponsered the stadium. How about the Apple Ipad Hillsborough stadium :milan: .

As has been described, in the very near future the only way to be able to spend more money is to either:

1.  Get more fans who spend money or

2.  Get the existing fans to spend more money.

Perhaps we should double ticket prices given this?

As has been described, in the very near future the only way to be able to spend more money is to either:

1.  Get more fans who spend money or

2.  Get the existing fans to spend more money.

Perhaps we should double ticket prices given this?

There's actually a third way - reduce the cost of your overheads so that the same income generates more profit.

(Something we let ride out of control for a long time)

Guest 5512uto

Wednesday fans would never stand for us doing a Swansea, far too much tippy tappy testicles for our liking

Guest Distraught!

Wednesday fans would never stand for us doing a Swansea, far too much tippy tappy testicles for our liking

Our fans would describe Swansea as "tinpot".