Symapthy for Coventry?

As much as I sympathise with the Coventry fans, I just can't help but think that Coventry are simply getting what they (and many before) completely deserve.

The club has been overspending for years. Nobody was complaining back in the days where the overspending was keeping them in the Premier League!

Just because "the fans don't deserve it" and "its such a historic club", does that mean they should get away with it? We were VERY lucky. If we had ended up in admin/liquidation, it would have been heartbreaking but totally deserved.

Milan saved us, for which I will be eternally grateful, but over the years we hurt a LOT of people financially. Any other business outside football wouldn't get these chances.

I don't want to see Cov go, but maybe this is what football as a whole needs to finally stand up and take responsibility?

I never understand the reason behind threads like this.

Pompey were ruined by greedy former owners. Pompey have been ruined by greedy owners selling a perfectly good ground in order to find a pot of gold. Then they moved into a ground with ridiculously high rent which they were never going to be able to pay. That's the owner's fault.

There's much more to a football club than the owners, so for people to say they have no sympathy for clubs like Coventry is daft in my oppinion. It's the ones that ruined it that I have no sympathy for.

Think nearly all clubs have been living beyond they means for a while now.

It was inevitable it was going to come crashing down to some extent and sadly for Coventry fans there club has been one of the victims of this.

Feel sorry for Coventry fans but I hope this means clubs will be more financially responsible.

Also think only Co op Bank lost money on us.

Coventry City are completly different to teams such as Leeds and Portsmouth who chased the dream by spending beyond their means.

The problem lies in the fact that it's been mis managed to a colossal level, starting from the lease signing of the Ricoh Arena and paying an hugely over inflated rent and not making any money from home games. They loose money everytime they play.

So yes, I do feel sympathy for them. I'm from that neck of the woods and its awful for the city.

This could happen to any club. It's a warning sign to the rest of football.

I have a mass amount of sympathy for Sky Blue fans.

They're not like Leeds who spent big whilst in the Champs League, failed terribly & have suffered since.  It's just come from very poor management (not regarding the actual football) which the fans have nothing to do with.

Always did hate the Ricoh Arena, though.

As much as I sympathise with the Coventry fans, I just can't help but think that Coventry are simply getting what they (and many before) completely deserve.

The club has been overspending for years. Nobody was complaining back in the days where the overspending was keeping them in the Premier League!

Just because "the fans don't deserve it" and "its such a historic club", does that mean they should get away with it? We were VERY lucky. If we had ended up in admin/liquidation, it would have been heartbreaking but totally deserved.

Milan saved us, for which I will be eternally grateful, but over the years we hurt a LOT of people financially. Any other business outside football wouldn't get these chances.

I don't want to see Cov go, but maybe this is what football as a whole needs to finally stand up and take responsibility?

Also, tell me who they splashed the cash on that broke the bank to keep them in the Premier League?

They were relegated from the Premier League nearly 15 years ago and only recently have they been in trouble financially. It was when they moved to the Ricoh the poo poo hit the fan for them.

Guest waistline ye diddle

Having been up to the edge of the Abyss and peered over to possible oblivion you'd think we would have sympathy for fellow football fans.

Feel for the fans who have their heart in the club though like with our ex-overlords I have little sympathy for those running the club.

Wouldn't want the pigs going through it (well it might raise a chuckle).

Can you give me some details of that please.

As far as is common knowledge we paid our way which helped put us in the position we found ourselves.

It's a "blades fact" that we put gazillions of local companies out of business, and brought the Co-op to the brink of bankruptcy.

I-smell-Bacon-Yoda.jpg

Please either retract the bit about hurting people financially or explain yourself. MM paid the creditors and is running the club responsibly.  I don't know what you refer to by "over the years" either. Previous regimes may not have been to everyones taste but I know of NO evidence that they "hurt a lot of people financially".  Bitter Blades need no encouragement in their lies about our situation and I am proud to support a club of such good character and integrity.

I remember me wearing an Owls home shirt in Meadowhall many years ago, a father pointed to me and laughed whilst saying to his two youngs lads "going down" as we had been relegated, they where Coventry City fans....bitter i know but flip 'em!!

Massive amount of sympathy for the Coventry fans. I don't go for this "they get what they deserved" argument because it is only the tiny minority of people making financial decisions on behalf of the club that you could make that accusation to. And they are not the club - the mass of ordinary fans are the club, and they definitely don't deserve it. I sincerely hope they get themselves sorted out and pull out of the trouble they are in. I would love to see a SWFC v CCFC fixture in the Premier League in 5 or 6 years - but the chances are very remote. 

Guest wilyfox

Feel for the fans, not the club.

^^ this.

the club pays in pounds, the fans pay in tears. I do empathise with the fans of Coventry, Portsmouth & clubs alike.

My abiding memory of the first season of the Sky Premier League was of some clubs spending all their Sky money on players at the start of the season. Effectively before receiving anything.

Coventry in particular spent mega money that they clearly did not have. There was a player they bought for over £1 million when that was thought excessive

When I think of Coventry I always think of this

My abiding memory of the first season of the Sky Premier League was of some clubs spending all their Sky money on players at the start of the season. Effectively before receiving anything.

Coventry in particular spent mega money that they clearly did not have. There was a player they bought for over £1 million when that was thought excessive

When I think of Coventry I always think of this

That's some fine exampling of factual history right there.