Here come the new signings...

Don't get me wrong, I do not think Milan is fibbing when he says there is work going on behind the scenes, I just do not think it is an aggressive enough recruitment policy

How do we know this though ?

Maybe we're being aggressive in the right way and not spaffing more money than we have to on 2nd rate players wanting too much money ?

Bothroyd should have stung HARD so lessons learned there about rushing in with big money

Let's be prudent and careful this season

Owlstalk Shop

If you keep up to date with transfer dealings of the football league you'll notice that they are, really.

Barnsley ... 3 signings so far

Bolton ... 3 so far

Derby ... 3 so far

Forest ... 2 so far

Charlton ... 1 so far

Reading ... 3 so far

Blackburn ... 4 so far

Birmingham ... 5 so far

Ipswich ... 4 so far

Leeds ... 2 so far

Do I need to carry on ? As I am getting bored...

As usual, we are late to act, will lose out on the better players, limiting our recruitment pool in the process.

Don't get me wrong, I do not think Milan is fibbing when he says there is work going on behind the scenes, I just do not think it is an aggressive enough recruitment policy (although may I add, in the clubs defence, possibly awaiting decisions of 6 players re-signing won't have helped .... although I am sure all the clubs above must be in the same situation ....)

So less than half the teams in our league.  Of those players who have already signed who do you feel we have missed out on?

If you keep up to date with transfer dealings of the football league you'll notice that they are, really.

Barnsley ... 3 signings so far

Bolton ... 3 so far

Derby ... 3 so far

Forest ... 2 so far

Charlton ... 1 so far

Reading ... 3 so far

Blackburn ... 4 so far

Birmingham ... 5 so far

Ipswich ... 4 so far

Leeds ... 2 so far

Do I need to carry on ? As I am getting bored...

As usual, we are late to act, will lose out on the better players, limiting our recruitment pool in the process.

Don't get me wrong, I do not think Milan is fibbing when he says there is work going on behind the scenes, I just do not think it is an aggressive enough recruitment policy (although may I add, in the clubs defence, possibly awaiting decisions of 6 players re-signing won't have helped .... although I am sure all the clubs above must be in the same situation ....)

The point is there have been about 30 signings across 24 championship clubs in the last 6 weeks - it's been excruciatingly slow as it averages out at just about 1 player per club per 6 week span - and very few of those players are anything to get excited about and the majority would have melted Owlstalk with indignation had we signed them

I predict those numbers will rise sharply once player contracts expire at the end of the week 

Edited by scram

What I say about where he started his pro career playing is a fact. It came from his sister who I got talking to at a game.

Playing deep is new to him, hence why maybe his performances were a bit in and out. The goal against Charlton had the hallmark of someone who knew how to strike a ball

I wasnt doubting what you were saying about his earlier career, I just thought you meant he had never played deep. He arguably made his name for rangers albeit in only a few games, playing that deep role and looking pretty good in it.

Ideally yes Trev but I think prudent use of loan system is hugely to our benefit. We'd be crazy not to take advantage of players we couldn't afford to buy outright provided they fill positions we need filling and don't completely stuff our shape.

I know mate if it benefits the team so be it ,it's just the way I am on the subject

Guest Sniper1

Papa bouba Diop to sign this week

What makes you say that mate??

Is there anything in this or are you just making poo up??

You kind of got ignored.

Papa and Olofinjana, beast of a CM.

I think id be pleased with these 2 coming in.

Id probably wave good bye to Coke and Prutton if it did happen.

Guest Sniper1

Wouldn't it be more likely papa or Olofinjana? Maybe bouba diop is more reliable injury wise?

Id love that pairing in CM.

Both players despite being huge are good on the ball.

If fit they would dominate most teams.

We could sit them both in there and play JJ just in front of them so he can get on the ball.

Especially away from home.

Edited by Sniper1

If we do have our eyes on McPhail and Davies, they may not be seen as regular starters. It's possible that DJ sees them as players he can bring on when he needs different options. From the five I mentioned, perhaps my biggest concern was McPhail alongside Olofinjana in a two man midfield. He could of course feature in a three man midfield, maybe with McCabe, and two wide players.

I know it's a squad game now over the season but I hope the 4/5 players we are signing aren't really going to be seen as squad players but players that can actually improve the first team and be regulars as we have wasted enough money recently on players who have contributed little but cost a fair bit in wages ie Mattock, Taylor , Maguire.