Here come the new signings...

I know it's a squad game now over the season but I hope the 4/5 players we are signing aren't really going to be seen as squad players but players that can actually improve the first team and be regulars as we have wasted enough money recently on players who have contributed little but cost a fair bit in wages ie Mattock, Taylor , Maguire.

Why do people keep lumping Taylor in that category - he was OBVIOUSLY brought here to improve the 1st team

That it didn't happen straight away due to his questionable start doesn't mean that he didn't tick EVERY box when he was signed.

Why do people keep lumping Taylor in that category - he was OBVIOUSLY brought here to improve the 1st team

That it didn't happen straight away due to his questionable start doesn't mean that he didn't tick EVERY box when he was signed.

owlstalk wouldn't be the same if we had no one to scapegoat in the team

Until he does the business for us then he will be "lumped" into that box. I could have included Peknic and Rhodri in there but as they have moved on I didn't, thats 5 that haven't paid off so far, a club in our position can't afford for 5 signings not to pay off.

Until he does the business for us then he will be "lumped" into that box. I could have included Peknic and Rhodri in there but as they have moved on I didn't, thats 5 that haven't paid off so far, a club in our position can't afford for 5 signings not to pay off.

The post wasn't about judging players in hindsight

It was about signing players to be 1st teamers and not squad players

Taylor ticked every box, had more than proven his capability at this level and above, and was most definitely bought for the 1st team starting line up

In short the very epitome of the type of signing the poster above advocates we go for

Edited by scram

don't like loans, could either go one way or the other ,much rather have our own players only in a perfect world would we get that though ,

Permanent signings can go just the same way, Mark Reynolds, Michael Morrison, Julian Bennett for example. Maybe MM feels he has had his fingers burned on a few occasions already and does not like taking that risk.

I think Taylor will come good this season, and i honestly think he'll claim a place ahead of Llera.

He came into the squad at a very difficult time, and he wasn't the only player guilty of poor performances. His confidence was shot after the first game. 

We'll see anyway. Certainly not going to write him off just yet.

The post wasn't about judging players in hindsight

It was about signing players to be 1st teamers and not squad players

Taylor ticked every box, had more than proven his capability at this level and above, and was most definitely bought for the 1st team starting line up

In short the very epitome of the type of signing the poster above advocates we go for

In your opinion, as we both know from previous debates we disagree on Taylor as a player , though the post i made wasn't a Taylor bashing post simply stating we need to get more signings right than wrong.

In your opinion, as we both know from previous debates we disagree on Taylor as a player , though the post i made wasn't a Taylor bashing post simply stating we need to get more signings right than wrong.

TBH its not about Taylor - i don't have particularly strong opinions on him as a player other than he's been a solid championship and premiership player for his whole career

It's about the type of signing that Taylor was

He tciked all the boxes that many fans advocate we look for

Fair enough im just hoping that our permanent signings this season have a greater impact in the first team.

We have a core of Kirkland, Buxton, Gardner, Reda & Antonio who are good enough with JJ, Llera, Coke thereabouts and need to add to them in my opinion, maybe some of our existing squad will step up to the mark this year in the likes of the young players like Madine (massive season for him this) McCabe, Corry, Palmer or even some of the senior players in Mattock, Taylor (though im not convinced by these two)

No, actually it's quite reassuring that at the end of June, we're getting together to discuss what we might need in terms of new additions.

Good news.

Hopefully, the out of contract players will also let us know in good time what they're doing, to allow us to have another meeting, and see how the position has changed.

Then, having a clear picture of who is going, we can then have another meeting to see which potential targets we actually are going to talk to.

There can't be many out of contract / released players already talking to clubs surely? And if there are, then surely we're already involved in those discussions?

Assuming we've already had an earlier meeting, to discuss who we potentially want to talk to, based on ifs, buts, and maybe scenarios identified at that time.

This is how it works right?

You work for the Public Sector, by any chance.