Catering

True story.

On Saturday I asked for 3 Jumbo Hotdogs and a pie.

'What pie would you like'.

I asked for 'Horse'.

Expecting to be told to 'give over', the bloke looked puzzled then ran his finger down the list repeating every item they sold out loud and then said 'I'm reyt confused nah but I don't think we have any left'....

Then one got the hotdogs, one added them up and the other put the numbers in the till.

I gave them the money - one then opened the till whilst another one worked out my change using a calculator.

Painful.

fpowl , agree with all you've been saying and your background obviously gives your suggestions credibility . As I said previously , I have written to the club on a number of occasions over the past few seasons without getting a reply . I was just wondering whether or not you had tried the same 'cos your suggestions might carry more weight ,given your experience ?

fpowl , agree with all you've been saying and your background obviously gives your suggestions credibility . As I said previously , I have written to the club on a number of occasions over the past few seasons without getting a reply . I was just wondering whether or not you had tried the same 'cos your suggestions might carry more weight ,given your experience ?

I wrote in when it was the old regime in the dark days and got no reply.

My second letter went in when it was under Lee Strafords reign ( I believe this was forwarded on to the catering department) but again no reply.

I have not wrote in during the board as I believe in there being a transitional period for a review and development however since the introduction of Lindley I do believe they have had more than sufficient time to make vast improvements and I have seen no signs of this to date.

On a further note I met with Stephen McDade from Lindley catering a few months back ( this was work related) He is the regional director of the north and has the patch from Birmingham up to and including Scotland. Although the conversation was never about Sheffield Wednesday and the public catering he did strike me as a guy who is very proactive and always looking for improvements  The one thing which struck me though ( this was only an observation I could be way off song here) was that from director level down to the stadium the management structure seems thin. If there is a lack of support from above it is easy to see why front line performance is not up to speed.

It would not be appropriate for me from a personal view to stick my nose in at this stage. I may be leaving my post at Old Trafford at the end of the season and taking up employment within the Lindley ranks and potential upsetting the apple-cart now could be suicidal for me ( I am pretty good at doing that once my foot is in the door). 

I would be interested in seeing what kind of noises come out of Hillsborough though if anyone gets a response, both the club and Lindley should make efforts to squash formal written concerns especially in an area that many feel is  having a poor and negative effect on match day experience.

...and the flipping bookies whom charged tax even though it was 'on course betting' which was tax free. Ladbrokes charged 5%/6% I think, and called it admin.. dead bent. It was brought up at a board meeting can't remember the outcome, but if I was the wednesday chairman I would have thrown them out at the earliest convenience, there were many bookies waiting in the wings.

Football fans are always taken for a ride

Then again there's only 45 people posted in here and many of them say they don't buy food at the ground regardless, so maybe I've overestimated the level of dissatisfaction?

missed the point totally I dont buy because the food is rubbish and vastly overpriced .

I would buy stuff for the lad as hes always hungry but not of that quality and not at that price.

There is absolutely no need for sweets such as chocolate bars and such like to have a huge mark up on the retail price of shops just outside the ground , with Lindleys buying power as a major corporate caterer they would still achieve a decent mark up if they price matched.

I also don't exonerate the club in this either just because fans the country over are ripped off doesnt mean they have to allow the same at Hillsborough why not dare to be different and build value for fans/customers into any contract as a given ?

*** me now that would be a first Wednesday giving the loyal fans value.

Some people in this thread would never ever buy food at the match regardless of what it was or how much it cost

if thats aimed at me well you're just wrong for me true but the boy used to get a pie regularly but not at the extortianate prices nor the crap quality if he requires anything these days I buy outside the ground half the price twice the quality.

Got called ''Babe'' once by the young lady in the middlewood road chippy

That was enough to keep me returning

But seriously Andrew_Owl (Percy). you should perhaps consider the fact that the club needs that money to ''operate'' but also it is entirely your choice should you purchase from the kiosks.

Though there Balti Pies are good. :lol:

Some people in this thread would never ever buy food at the match regardless of what it was or how much it cost

The food's poo

The service is poo

The prices are extortionate

The queues/time to get served is ridiculous

They sell out the most desirable products within 5/10 mins of half time

Our mate Fishcake has a bigger IQ than the majority of the staff.

For that reason, I'm out.

Well not really, given the number of people questioning why others can't last two hours without eating and others saying they have never bought food in the ground.

But yes, I apologise for not focusing my comment solely about you.  lol

Perhaps fpowl, would know better the sort of profit margins Lindleys would work on and whether they are comparable with other national catering brands...  and indeed whether the costs involved would allow them to match shop prices given the limited (and staff intensive) trading time.

To be honest my issue is more with the level of service, the range of products  and the quality. If these were improved I could understand the pricing.

In General most outsiders as the chip shops we refer to work on roughly 40-60% GP stadiums should aim for 60-80% GP. I know this sounds unreasonable but that is business and a captured audience. what's unacceptable is the standard of service and quality of product...both these contribute to value for money in a given environment

Hillsborough fails massively in this

With better products, productivity and service standards our ground is not that overpriced as is currently operates with our current offering and service standards it is.

There is no excuse for maximising profits with no value for money

If you buy a pint of larger in you local for 2.50 you can expect to pay 3.20 in a hotel( agreed not ideal but business is business and that is the way of the world). if the service is quality and similar, however this is not the case and you can not except this at Hillsborough.