Catering

fp owl you are so right re the serving of drinks .I've posted re this a number of times and written to the club on several occasions with suggestions on how they might improve things and never had a reply . Many other clubs in Premier and lower divisions do the catering so much better than us . It's almost as if the club is just not bothered about this side of their business . Just wonder what the commercial manager gets up to and whether he/she ever has a ' match day experience ' outside an executive box ?

The public catering (kiosks) is always the area that has little investment and I always get the impression it is neglected, every now and again an half hearted attempt of a review and drive is put together but with not real success.

regarding alcohol.

There should be a cuing single roped of or partitioned so that the queues are singled in to a individual servers at the front. This would stop servers scanning the front counter and each server would simply stand in there zone and tunnel vision serve, this has a sharp increase in the speed of the service.

on each side of the servers there should be trained till operators and a till system that is user friendly and have quick keys on for example 5.00 10.00 and 20.00 buttons so it quickly works out the change. Going forward the management team should have a look at popular rounds for example if 1 in 4 transactions is 2 lagers and 1 beer have these put on as quick keys. ( remember its all in the view of speed )

behind the servers should be an Ireland where the pumps are where you have staff whos main role is to pour and supply ( a little bit like McDonald have in there restaurants ) however In the stadium at half-time you would not pour to order you would simply keep pouring (keeping an eye on the queues obviously.

The kiosks need investment, the products need looking at, the staff require better support, equipment and training. The service has a whole is not up to standards.

A lot blame the staff, you have to blame the management

for me it shows a lack of commitment to giving the fan the best possible match-day experience,

I know a lot of people have made comment on the fact they eat before or after the game for me football has always gone hand in hand with a pre match beer and a pie and bovril at half-time to take to the stands for the second half.

As a fan of Sheffield Wednesday I am disappointed that this experience for me has seen to go backwards over the last 7 years. As a professional with experience in Stadium Hospitality and catering management I find it a disgrace.

It angers me how the basics are not being delivered I had a hot dog the other day the server looked freezing, the bread seemed stale like its been sat out in the cold for hours and the had no mustard ( this was before kick off ) that is a basic condiment for the order, The tomato sauce seems cheap or have been watered down and the sachets they provide are messy. 

regarding alcohol.

There should be a cuing single roped of or partitioned so that the queues are singled in to a individual servers at the front. This would stop servers scanning the front counter and each server would simply stand in there zone and tunnel vision serve, this has a sharp increase in the speed of the service.

I left my seat in the grandstand 10 minutes before half time to sneak in a crafty pint without the wife knowing.

There were at least 15 people already queing for a pint.

There was just 1 lad and 1 woman serving, I'd estimate they were both in their early twenties.

After 10 minutes the queue hadn't moved, and only 3 people had been served.

It was nothing to do with queue jumping, everyone was already in single file.

Me and the guy in front estimated it was taking these two people 5 minutes to serve one pint.

The truth of the matter is young people today, are either too slow, or just don't give a damn.

I waited 10 minutes in this queue but realised I wasn't going to get served so walked away.

I know the catering is contracted out so the club don't give a damn.

But there's some serious revenue being lost at Hillsborough, it's a good job we don't need the money.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

I left my seat in the grandstand 10 minutes before half time to sneak in a crafty pint without the wife knowing.

There was just 1 lad and 1 woman serving, I'd estimate they were both in their early twenties.

Me and the guy in front estimated it was taking these two people 5 minutes to serve one pint.

The truth of the matter is young people today, are either too slow, or just don't give a damn.

I waited 10 minutes in this queue but realised I wasn't going to get served so walked away.

But there's some serious revenue being lost at Hillsborough, it's a good job we don't need the money.

Whilst it's true they could go slightly faster...

Fundamentally the pumps are terrible, and simply don't pour quickly.

I'm sure they've been told to take an order, go and pour the drinks, get the money, give the change. Repeat.

It's up to the management to notice this "routine" is completely ridiculous, far too inefficient, and not suitable.

you are quite right its not to do with queue jumping, my post was about several factors that should be considered to increase the speed of service, and increase the revenue for the club/ contractor.

You would always serve people quicker if you have a section to control, at speed this is better executed by a filtering system it also increase the speed of people leaving thee queue after being served as they can be filtered out. which eliminates bottle- necks and keeps the flow of the service.

I happen to work with 1,000 of students and although they are not init for a career and in short not all of them care, They work to a level that's is more than acceptable and deliver an excellent service. This is due to the training and management, not the individualise

Unfortunately these day people need motivating and managing that's why we have a structure from directors, management, supervisors and base line staff. if the staff are not up to it you train and develop or you release them, At Hillsborough the staff seem to be always under performing, that's a management issue, 

Ask..... who recruits, trains, develops, briefs, reviews and supervises the staff

I observed a Stand manager or supervisor against Mk Dons talk to his friend for 8 minutes at half-time (in their busy period) I'm sure they could have been much more productive and supportive than that. my point is if the management and supervisors do not care how do you expect the under trained inexperienced base line staff to care

why cant yer tell yer wife your goin for a pint? lol

I had an Angina attack on 3rd of January, then a small heart op on 21st of January, so I'm not supposed to be drinking.

I haven't had a pint since Christmas, and saw this as my opportunity. :biggrin:

I managed to sneak one in before the game while she was sat in her seat, but I fancied another.

She's coming to the Palace game too,  I may have to refine my tactics.

At Hillsborough the staff seem to be always under performing, 

Just so you know, I wasn't having a go at you a few posts back.

Totally agree with you, especially this bit.

We've been to away games in league 1 where the catering is of a far superior standard.

Just having 2 people serving in a 15 minute window, is totally unacceptable, but if the club, or caterer can afford to let revenue slip away, then good luck to them.

I know you was not having a pop I never took it that way.

They should utilise there corporate staff to boost half time sales and support the kiosks or have a better management supervisory system in place, truth is its common that any staff that impresses in the kiosk areas tends to get moved into the more corporate areas.

having 2 staff on is a joke I would expect a minimum of 6 staff. The period that you mentioned building up to halftime there should be additional staff prepping for the Halftime rush. If they can not cope with service at this period then I am guessing the prep work is not getting done its got disaster writeen all over it

has anyone one ever had an explanation from the club or lindley catering as to why the service is so poor 

As FFP comes into force, this issue regarding catering is going to be hugely important. The deal with Lindleys is done so we are tied until it ends (how long is left?) but at that point a complete overhaul of matchday catering to maximize income will be one of the major jobs at the club.

Brighton sacked there caterers Azure half way through the season as they did not think they was delivering to their fans expectations. I would imagine the club have some power for  a raise in standards and performance.

Just so you know Azure was replaced by Lindley Catering.

but your right I think the FFP could have a major impact on a lot of clubs where catering and hospitality need to be seriously seen as a major revenue stream,

Whilst it's true they could go slightly faster...

Fundamentally the pumps are terrible, and simply don't pour quickly.

I'm sure they've been told to take an order, go and pour the drinks, get the money, give the change. Repeat.

It's up to the management to notice this "routine" is completely ridiculous, far too inefficient, and not suitable.

Thats the problem.

"I'll have a burger & mars bar please"

"We've sold out"

"What do you have left?"

"Beer & crisp"

"Right I'll have that"

It then takes them 3 minutes to add the prices together.

After a struggle they resort to the calculator...'£3.50 & £1.60'...

You then hand them over a £20 note for them to tell you they have no change....

So on & so on.

The whole set up is laughable & I can't think of one positive thing to say hence not buying anything from inside the ground for ages.

Thats the problem.

"I'll have a burger & mars bar please"

"We've sold out"

"What do you have left?"

"Beer & crisp"

"Right I'll have that"

It then takes them 3 minutes to add the prices together.

After a struggle they resort to the calculator...'£3.50 & £1.60'...

You then hand them over a £20 note for them to tell you they have no change....

So on & so on.

The whole set up is laughable & I can't think of one positive thing to say hence not buying anything from inside the ground for ages.

To not have a till system in place is terrible, not only do they lose  revenue in a slower operation they cant track average spends, times of consumption, theft ( not suggesting there is any at all ) installing the till system will increase the consumer knolledge and helps to implement future improvements even some of the burger vans have tills

Brighton sacked there caterers Azure half way through the season as they did not think they was delivering to their fans expectations. I would imagine the club have some power for  a raise in standards and performance.

Just so you know Azure was replaced by Lindley Catering.

but your right I think the FFP could have a major impact on a lot of clubs where catering and hospitality need to be seriously seen as a major revenue stream,

they've brought in lindleys

how sh17 must azure be

expensive products , poor service , poor product and they're preferable to azure .... I mean seriously :-)

Guest intercity0wl

I had a pie at forest & it was heaven on earth

Cottage pie on the away end at Oldham, best tasting footy food i've had in 40 years.

Guest The Horse

Trafalgar Rd chippy is my ritual.
Last time I had curry sauce from that Chinese on Leppings Lane, I was on the bog all day the day after.

Anyways, If I knew the profits were going to the club, I think I'd use the kiosks at the ground more.

But to get a decent level of service wouldn't you have to find trained full time staff instead of don't-give-a-crap schoolkids doing a Saturday job?