Enough is enough

So I'm reasonably new to Owlstalk, I'm not a regular attendee at games due to living in London. You could argue I have no right to put in my two pence worth when it comes to the performances of players when I can only base said opinion on what I hear on Wednesday Player or read on the Internet.

Owlstalk is a great way of communicating with fellow Wednesdayites, or receiving a world of abuse when you announce your return from Menorca, and generally having a good old fashioned debate on the issues that matter at our club.

However, I, like many I'm sure, are ashamed that we have our own players being ridiculed online, and abused on the terraces. Too many people are quick to jump on the bandwagon of one person's opinion when they post stupid threads like the one about sending a player out on loan because he's currently sitting on the bench getting frustrated - so ridiculous that it led to the player himself commenting on the stupidity of some on this site. This, of course is only one example of many but it's a good one as it's provoked a reaction from Madine himself.

I understand many of you spend hundreds/thousands of pounds following our team up and down the country every season and you're entitled to your opinion on the team and players but booing and criticising our own does no good whatsoever. Regardless of what you think of any individual they are still representing Sheffield Wednesday, YOUR TEAM........OUR TEAM! Get behind the boys, don't boo!

In May, nearly 40,000 Wednesday fans together as one roared our beloved Owls to promotion. There was harmony amongst us and positive threads online. There was a feel good factor about the place and at this point I decided to sign up to Owlstalk and join in the fun. Up to then I was just a reader. Right now, I can't even be bothered to get involved with some of the debates on here because they're so counter productive and give out negative opinions, even more soul destroying now we know for sure Players read this Forum.

Well we know how Gary Madine feels, "soul destroying" was the term he used. I wonder how Martin Taylor feels when fans chant 'go back to Watford' to him. Sure, his performances might be poor and the criticism may be justified in that sense. However I've seen comments about his striking resemblance from afar to one Darren Purse and of course the comparisons or similarities in this case begin. Where will this one end? Madness!

I'm afraid I can't pick out individuals on here but I'm sure I'm pleading to the minority when I say get behind the lads, support the team and let's build on the game in midweek. Stop the negativity and let's move forward as one and support our boys. Let's be honest, we've been in worse positions and had worse players in the time since we left the Premiership. I for one am thankful we are in the Championship at all, 22 months ago, we were close to a winding up order that could have changed things forever; just be thankful we have a club at all.

Edited by martyn8484

So I'm reasonably new to Owlstalk, I'm not a regular attendee at games due to living in London. You could argue I have no right to put in my two pence worth when it comes to the performances of players when I can only base said opinion on what I hear on Wednesday Player or read on the Internet.

Owlstalk is a great way of communicating with fellow Wednesdayites, or receiving a world of abuse when you announce your return from Menorca, and generally having a good old fashioned debate on the issues that matter at our club.

However, I, like many I'm sure, are ashamed that we have our own players being ridiculed online, and abused on the terraces. Too many people are quick to jump on the bandwagon of one person's opinion when they post stupid threads like the one about sending a player out on loan because he's currently sitting on the bench getting frustrated - so ridiculous that it led to the player himself commenting on the stupidity of some on this site. This, of course is only one example of many but it's a good one as it's provoked a reaction from Madine himself.

I understand many of you spend hundreds/thousands of pounds following our team up and down the country every season and you're entitled to your opinion on the team and players but booing and criticising our own does no good whatsoever. Regardless of what you think of any individual they are still representing Sheffield Wednesday, YOUR TEAM........OUR TEAM! Get behind the boys, don't boo!

In May, nearly 40,000 Wednesday fans together as one roared our beloved Owls to promotion. There was harmony amongst us and positive threads online. There was a feel good factor about the place and at this point I decided to sign up to Owlstalk and join in the fun. Up to then I was just a reader. Right now, I can't even be bothered to get involved with some of the debates on here because they're so counter productive and give out negative opinions, even more soul destroying now we know for sure Players read this Forum.

Well we know how Gary Madine feels, "soul destroying" was the term he used. I wonder how Martin Taylor feels when fans chant 'go back to Watford' to him. Sure, his performances might be poor and the criticism may be justified in that sense. However I've seen comments about his striking resemblance from afar to one Darren Purse and of course the comparisons or similarities in this case begin. Where will this one end? Madness!

I'm afraid I can't pick our individuals on here but I'm sure I'm pleading to the minority when I say get behind the lads, support the team and let's build on the game in midweek. Stop the negativity and let's move forward as one as support our boys. Let's be honest, we've been in worse positions and had worse players in the time since we left the Premiership. I for one am thankful we are in the Championship at all, 22 months ago, we were close to a winding up order that could have changed things forever; just be thankful we have a club at all.

This

I despair at how thick some fans can be.

I also think the type of posts you refer to come from people who are not old enough to know any different.

They dont have the capacity to understand the consequence of words and just say what they like without engaging their brains.

I despair at how thick some fans can be.

I also think the type of posts you refer to come from people who are not old enough to know any different.

They dont have the capacity to understand the consequence of words and just say what they like without engaging their brains.

Come on, you posted that COG was flipping useless (or very similar) on Saturday.

Edited by Dagmeister

Good standard of OP - BUT as with other threads of thought people jump on bandwagons the latest one highlighted because one of our players who ironically is supported as if a god on here has read a silly thread and is clutching his handbag.

No one asks people on here, or ask you to read, I often open a thread realise it's stupid and move on without comment -do the same.

One thing is for absolute certain there is only one place to turn for info in times of need or controversy and it's OT

you just need to recognise idiots I may be one for some people - It's a forum people nothing whatsoever printed on here will affect the team. That doesn't mean people should be abused infact some mods need to start removing rubbish as quick as they do posts in the wrong section.

Except of course for dear little Madine who will no doubt need counselling for months - get a grip

There's a fine balance to be met. By all means have a negative opinion on a player if they put in a bad performance or make a big mistake in a game. However, negativity can be put across constructively. Why does it always have be 'sell him' 'loan him out' 'drop him'?

Good standard of OP - BUT as with other threads of thought people jump on bandwagons the latest one highlighted because one of our players who ironically is supported as if a god on here has read a silly thread and is clutching his handbag.

No one asks people on here, or ask you to read, I often open a thread realise it's stupid and move on without comment -do the same.

One thing is for absolute certain there is only one place to turn for info in times of need or controversy and it's OT

you just need to recognise idiots I may be one for some people - It's a forum people nothing whatsoever printed on here will affect the team. That doesn't mean people should be abused infact some mods need to start removing rubbish as quick as they do posts in the wrong section.

Except of course for dear little Madine who will no doubt need counselling for months - get a grip

Some good points. From a player POV however I do think reading things about yourself would pl$$ you off; it would me!

I'm in total agreement regarding the mod's monitoring things here and clamping down on ridiculous threads/posts

Guest Bri The owl

Good post pal! We have a lot of very fickle fans , you will probably find most of them proberbly only got to a few games last season! And have just jumped on the bandwagon this season ! Then as soon as we go through a "bad patch " they start to single players out ! I wish they would "f-ing stay away". I thought being a fan was sticking by your side through "thick and thin "! . I remember John Sheridan was singled out early 90s! Then made a point in saying after we had won the cup in 91"that was for the true fans" if fans want to boo the team do it at half or full time' but don't single players out! What good does it do the team, or the player? WTID

Nice sentiment, but if you went to Burnley in the p1ss poor weather after a full days work, to see a dreadful defensive performance by a certain individual, then despite this still clap him off, only for the said player to snub your efforts and walk straight down the tunnel, then i understand people showing their dissatisfaction.

Personally i didn't boo, (more childish than kicking a ball if you're not allowed to come on).

When you have just been Listening over internet it's hard to take your comments seriously.