In this thread I will debunk the 'look like he's trying/gives a fook' theory

HOW SHOULD A PLAYER PHYSICALLY DEMONSTRATE THAT THEY ARE 'INTERESTED', or THAT THEY 'GIVE A flip' ?

By kicking the poo poo out of the rotund balding photographer in the blue bib at Hillsborough. I will be looking out for this next Saturday and will be booing every player that doesn't manage it!

Add that to your list.

Guest Bedders

Interesting that 3 of those players who "aren't good enough" have a combined 600 games of championship experience and half as much again in premiership experience with a combined 35 years of career in the top 2 divisions - plus caps at various (including full) England level.

But forget all that because the last 3-4 games settling into a new team, system and season hasn't seen them at their best....

That's irrelevant & you know it....it's how a player fits into your current system & interacts with the players around him!

Two players I will give you Patrick Blondau (148 apperance for Monaco won domestic league twice, domestic cup & cup winners cup whilst he was there) & Dan Petrescu (95 apperance for Steaua Bucharest winners of domestic league & winners of champions league & super cup whilst he was there) .......must have been utter bobbins as they were no good at Hillsborough.......NO not true.... just didn't fit our system & interact with the players around them at the time.

Its all about the mix!!!! Players past history can be a guide but doesn't ensure that they will be a success here......look at Reda how many goals had he scored before he came to us? Could leave us (hopefully not but it could happen) & go back to his old record of scoring only a few!!!!

Petrescu was arguably one of our best players at that time when they put him in a more attacking role. I remember Francis having to explain why he substituted him once because of the large volume of boos at taking off such an important figure (he was sick if I remember correctly). Only when they insisted on him playing an orthodox right back role was he not very good.

its a hard one to answer i dont recall sheridan ,waddle or my hero tommy craig dashing here there and everywhere and yet there commitment cannot be questioned .shez got severe abuse in the game against oxford for strolling about and appearing to some that he wasnt trying when in fact he was just having a lousy game .maybe bothroyd and a few others mentioned are similar types without the skill to cover there lack of work rate .

That's irrelevant & you know it....it's how a player fits into your current system & interacts with the players around him!

It's extremely relevant - the playing history of a player is the best guide anybody will ever have as to whether he can adapt to a certain level - when they have spent their entire career at a certain level and above it's patently obvious they are good enough for that level.

There's always someone yelling about a player not looking like he's interested/trying

Or someone saying that a certain player doesn't care/give a flip

So...

In order to debunk this theory totally and prove conclusively once and for all that it's a reight load o poo pooe I will ask one simple single question

The answers to this single question will demonstrate how much of a load of crap it is for people to say 'he doesn't look interested' or 'he doesn't give a flip' type stuff.

QUESTION - HOW SHOULD A PLAYER PHYSICALLY DEMONSTRATE THAT THEY ARE 'INTERESTED', or THAT THEY 'GIVE A flip' ?

Neil

Below is a post that I posted in you 'Take a look at this list of players...' thread that you started a week or so ago. I believe that the below post was relavant to the question that you raised in your previous thread but you dismissed with a 'Sheridan got booed' comment that wasn't relevant to my point.

I believe that my below post is also relevant to the question that you have posted in this thread. Please respond without dismissing with a glib comment, repeating your original question or posing a new question.

Regards Shandy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the simple answer Neil is that Wednesday fans like players that they can see are giving everything that they have irrespective of their skill level or style of play e.g. COG who works and works and works but isn't the most talented, and also Sheridan who worked and worked and worked but was arguably the most gifted ball player in England when he played. In terms of physical output COG delivers more than Sheridan ever did but both players would be very close in terms of energy expended. There is a reason that Sheridan could always complete the brilliant pass and that reason is because he left nothing on the pitch in his effort to get in the right position to make the pass in the first place - the fans could see this. There is a reason why COG is seen as an effective target man and that reason is because he leaves nothing on the pitch in terms of effort to get to the ball to receive it and then to work to a position to distribute it back - the fans can see this.

So the simple answer is that we as fans like to see that a player is giving everything.

Specifically then - HOW SHOULD A PLAYER PHYSICALLY DEMONSTRATE THAT THEY ARE 'INTERESTED', or THAT THEY 'GIVE A flip' ?

By kicking the poo poo out of the rotund balding photographer in the blue bib at Hillsborough. I will be looking out for this next Saturday and will be booing every player that doesn't manage it!

Add that to your list.

Specifically then - HOW SHOULD A PLAYER PHYSICALLY DEMONSTRATE THAT THEY ARE 'INTERESTED', or THAT THEY 'GIVE A flip' ?

As above.

Neil

Below is a post that I posted in you 'Take a look at this list of players...' thread that you started a week or so ago. I believe that the below post was relavant to the question that you raised in your previous thread but you dismissed with a 'Sheridan got booed' comment that wasn't relevant to my point.

I believe that my below post is also relevant to the question that you have posted in this thread. Please respond without dismissing with a glib comment, repeating your original question or posing a new question.

Regards Shandy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the simple answer Neil is that Wednesday fans like players that they can see are giving everything that they have irrespective of their skill level or style of play e.g. COG who works and works and works but isn't the most talented, and also Sheridan who worked and worked and worked but was arguably the most gifted ball player in England when he played. In terms of physical output COG delivers more than Sheridan ever did but both players would be very close in terms of energy expended. There is a reason that Sheridan could always complete the brilliant pass and that reason is because he left nothing on the pitch in his effort to get in the right position to make the pass in the first place - the fans could see this. There is a reason why COG is seen as an effective target man and that reason is because he leaves nothing on the pitch in terms of effort to get to the ball to receive it and then to work to a position to distribute it back - the fans can see this.

So the simple answer is that we as fans like to see that a player is giving everything.

sorry but i cant agree with all they want is they"are giving everything ".......mel sterland ,chris morris ,bob bolder ,joc are just a few who gave everything and still got severe stick .

Oh yes - I can see what you are trying to say here. You have debunked the theory - the way that you ignore reasonably worded answers to your question and choose to answer only those that you can ridicule wins the argument.

Come on Neil. If you don't agree with me then reply to my post with a reason and well measured argument.

sorry but i cant agree with all they want is they"are giving everything ".......mel sterland ,chris morris ,bob bolder ,joc are just a few who gave everything and still got severe stick .

Yes. You have a point here as these players got stick for making the wrong decision - nobody could have criticised them for not working.

I should point out that i am not jumping on the latest bandwagon of criticising everyone - that is wrong IMHO. I was just trying to answer Neil's question.

Edited by shandypants

Oh yes - I can see what you are trying to say here. You have debunked the theory - the way that you ignore reasonably worded answers to your question and choose to answer only those that you can ridicule wins the argument.

Come on Neil. If you don't agree with me then reply to my post with a reason and well measured argument.

Good luck with that!

Yes. You have a point here as these players got stick for making the wrong decision - nobody could have criticised them for not working.

I should point out that i am not jumping on the latest bandwagon of criticising everyone - that is wrong IMHO. I was just trying to answer Neil's question.

i agree with you there mate ,i dont believe bothroyd or anyone else isnt trying its more like one or two of them just arnt good enough .