So... David Pleat. A Polarising Figure.

There has been lots of comments about Pleat on various posts recently. I'm always astounded at the amount of vitriol he recieves on here. Don't get me wrong I don't think he was a great manager, I've been following Wednesday since 1990 and I would put BFR, Sturrock, Megson, DJ and maybe even Laws above him, but he wasn't the prat that many Owls-talkers make out. Fair enough, he got rid of Waddle, Sheridan, Hirst and Bright, but they were past their best, and he signed Carbone, Di Canio, Stefanovic and Degryse, who were great.

Admittedly, his mistakes (selling Degryse and Kovacevic before he should have done, the over-protection of Richey Humphreys, hardly ever playing O'Neill Donaldson despite the fact he scored about 200 goals for the reserves, forgetting Orlando Trustfull was in the squad, the huge wee wee tail-up over Blinker's contract) outweighed his acheivements (Carbone, Di Canio, dropping Guy Whittingham into midfield.)

But was he really that bad? The avalanche started when Richards gave BFR his cards in revenge didn't it?

Guest Kagoshimaowl

While the poster has a point....Pleat poisoned the mentality of the squad. Read any book about Wednesday...they all hated him with avengace!!

The rot DEFINATELY started with him!

There has been lots of comments about Pleat on various posts recently. I'm always astounded at the amount of vitriol he recieves on here. Don't get me wrong I don't think he was a great manager, I've been following Wednesday since 1990 and I would put BFR, Sturrock, Megson, DJ and maybe even Laws above him, but he wasn't the prat that many Owls-talkers make out. Fair enough, he got rid of Waddle, Sheridan, Hirst and Bright, but they were past their best, and he signed Carbone, Di Canio, Stefanovic and Degryse, who were great.

Admittedly, his mistakes (selling Degryse and Kovacevic before he should have done, the over-protection of Richey Humphreys, hardly ever playing O'Neill Donaldson despite the fact he scored about 200 goals for the reserves, forgetting Orlando Trustfull was in the squad, the huge wee wee tail-up over Blinker's contract) outweighed his acheivements (Carbone, Di Canio, dropping Guy Whittingham into midfield.)

But was he really that bad? The avalanche started when Richards gave BFR his cards in revenge didn't it?

This is sarcasm right lol

One of his first comments as Wednesday manager basically said we had been over-achieving and needed to get more realistic with our expectations - hardly an inspiring rallying call to fans and players alike.

I always got the feeling he did not really consider us anything other than a lower end top flight team (some may say he was right - I don't), and as such allowed a malaise to set in. On the rare occasion he mentions us on the radio now he still comes accross as such.

Hate him with a passion. He is the reason we ended up where we did. Doesn't polarise suggest opposing views? Don't think there will be many lauding his achievements. The best you will get is "he wasn't THAT bad" but he was.

One of the most over rated people in football. How he still gets jobs as a pundit, expert and adviser beggars belief. His track record has hardly been impressive. Can't stand to hear the man when he's commentating - he tries to make the most obvious comment sound profound. Pillock.

what was the flip up with blnkers contract

He got banned for most of the season because Udinese claimed they'd already signed him.

Well, I suppose these forums are about learning other peoples opinions and I've certainly done that! Looking back, I thought he was a bit of a Villas-Boas type figure- someone had to break the squad up and he copped for it. I know that David Hirst for one couldn't stand him though.

he managed to make a sows ear outa a silk purse

This would be the 'silk purse' that was 90 minutes from relegation the previous season and the 'sows ear' that finished 7th in the Premier League in Pleat's second year?

:huh:

Pleat is a bit of a tailface that most of the squad had no time for and cannot go down as a great success, but to put him in the same category as Wilson, Turner and Irvine for overwhelming incompetence is simply unrealistic.

one last thing. Remember the state of the club when Pleat took over. It was a happy place with a team full of international quality players. Subsequent managers inherited a club in disarray and crisis. Agree that subsequent managers up to sturrock did little to arrest that decline. Pleat had the opportunity to build on strong foundations and instead got the wrecking ball out!