The better League 1 promotion

Yes, the pigs fücked it up, but we still had to do the job to capitalise on that. We put together a run that would have caught any team in the land. We were like a machine.

They both felt good, but I only cried tears of joy at one of them. When the team came back out after the pitch invasion I just lost it. As did the random bloke next to me and a fair few others.

For me, last season was my best ever. I wasn't involved in '91 as much as I was last season. Didn't used to go to many games through working. Went to more in '05 but for me last seasons achievements will take some topping.

Its a no brainer really

Millennium stadium was epic, great day out, and like you say we pretty much stole promotion that year

But it has to go to last season. It was such an exciting season, we almost didnt make it, but agent Wilson sorted that predicament out. We pipped our closest rivals to 2nd spot, who then went on to bottle it in the playoffs.

On top of that, there has been a major shift in expectancy and excitement around Hillsborough, peoples love for the club has been rekindled largely part to Megson, and Mandaric

Hands down, last season!

Guest Big Guns

Automatics better ,and with the battle with the pigs and them missing out topped it off.

So its last season for me...

Alright, alright.

You're all right, and I'm wrong.

I guess a better question would be did you feel more elation against hartlepool or wycombe?

I felt a similar elation to Hartlepool the week before at Brentford

And at the final whistle against Wycombe - yes the emotions were on a par with those I felt at Cardiff.

Edited by senwar

I think Hartlepool was more about relief and Wycombe more about complete, unblemished joy.

The club was spiralling into the abyss before Sturrock came in and that seasons promotion reversed a trend that could have killed the club. They were dark days and Cardiff was probably the only highlight in about 7 or 8 years, including spells both before and after Cardiff.

After Milan came in promotion from League One was always a matter of when not if, so that sense of desperate relief wasn't the same, but the circumstances in how we did it were definitely more rewarding in my opinion. There were so many ups and downs last season and the script was set up so perfectly. Unlike the Cardiff season we were a good side all year last season as well, so promotion felt deserved and to ****** it from under United's nose was incredible.

Cardiff will always be remembered but last season will go down in Sheffield folklore and the "5 points, 2 games" thing still talked about like boxing day is. Last season will never, ever happen again.

That last game against Wycombe is the best football match I've ever been to. Not for footballing reasons. But the event, and what was at stake. Knowing that a loss and a pigs win could be the biggest kick in the balls ever. But a win and we had done it. It was absolutely epic. Never in my life have I seen Hillsborough like that, and probably never will again. Beating United to the finish line was the icing on the cake, you couldn't have scripted it better for us.

In 2005 it was a great day, but being honest we all knew we were still struggling on and off the field.

Despite a few setbacks last season it felt that we were a good side and that the club was moving in the right direction.

Last season better, and seeing the pigs choke was the cherry on top of the icing on top of the cake.

Guest Distraught!

2012 because it feels more like the beginning of a very special era and the end of what went before. This time it feels like more than promotion. It feels like we are on the edge of achieving something special and finally burying the shadow of them that were "light years ahead on and off the field".

This one beats 2005 hands down for me.

For the first time in years I've been excited to go to hillsborough, especially since Jones came in, and I've travelled to away games expecting us to win, or at least be competitive.

We stole it from Sheffield United which is a huge bonus of course, but I think the most important thing is that unlike the last time we got promoted, I feel confident that we are heading in the right direction, whereas back then I fully expected us to go back down, the only surprise was how long it took to do that.

The difference for me:

Cardiff 05- Brilliant day out. An emotional rollercoaster. I cried when Maclean got our equaliser. I cried when Whelan scored our 3rd. I was an absolute wreck when Talbot rounded the keeper to make sure.

Hillsborough 12- I cried when I saw 38,000 Wednesdayites in Hillsborough. I cried when we scored our 1st goal. I cried at full time.

For me I think Hillsborough 12 just about shades it. For something to make me cry is a rare thing, but to cry at the sight of something truelly mesmorising like 38,000 in Hillsborough is truelly something else.

Guest pops55

That last game against Wycombe is the best football match I've ever been to. Not for footballing reasons. But the event, and what was at stake. Knowing that a loss and a pigs win could be the biggest kick in the balls ever. But a win and we had done it. It was absolutely epic. Never in my life have I seen Hillsborough like that, and probably never will again. Beating United to the finish line was the icing on the cake, you couldn't have scripted it better for us.

Spot on, but just like to add that after our success sitting back and watching the pigs totally rumble it up in the play of final was the cherry on top of the icing.

As a season, last year was the better. As a day on its own, then Cardiff beat Wycombe for me.

Wycombe was a pre-arranged party, a penalty kick of a game which completed the formalities of what we had already achieved. A fantastic sight to see Hillsborough packed, the party atmosphere was unique and it's almost matched Cardiff.

However I've seen great Hillsborough days and nights before. The difference in '05 was , it was the first time we'd been in a playoff, we took the biggest ever club following to the Millenium Stadium and the game was tension packed and eventful.

I remember in Cardiff after drinking near the Castle we moved towards the ground and there were Wednesday fans everywhere. We walked from the Owen Glendower pub into a side street which was packed with singing fans, I thought the sight and sound was amazing until we reached the end of the street and it led out into the central area to be greated my the most unbelievable sight of 10's of thousands of fans, blue and white everywhere, flags, airhorns and absolute bedlam. Cardiff had been invaded.