OFFICIAL - Chris Kirkland Signs

What's the basis for people losing their sh*t over Heaton?

Have people just seen his name banded around on here, seen he's younger and decided that's the player we all want despite the fact nobody really knows swizz all about him? Exactly like Cody McDonald last year?

Nothing wrong with wanting to sign young players who also have a lot of Championship experience. It strikes me that Heaton could be a steal like Lee Grant.

But if Dave Jones who has worked with Heaton previously Kirkland is better (which I wouldnt disagree with) and that he is over his injuries then fair dos.

It's easy for him to say that when they've just lost their most talented youngest player.

When we miss out on signings people complain we aren't pushing the boat out, when we make signings people worry we have spent over the odds!

I think it depends on the player too. I think you have to go the extra mile to get certain players whilst being sustainable on the whole, a bit like what Donny did before they lost the plot. They built a solid footballing side on a decent budget and then invested heavily in Sharp.

Its a balancing act I suppose, but in the Championship its really tough.

I don't think people are being negative, I'm certainly not. We did really well to get promoted on what we spent last year. Shrewd dealings by Milan, Megson and Jones saw us have one of our best ever seasons.

The championship is a whole different ball game though. Last season, only Charlton spent more than us and they finished first. It will be so much more difficult this year to emulate last seasons performance.

Teams in this league are prepared to spend money to push for the premiership holy grail. Of course spending money is not the only consideration when it comes to building a winning side, but it certainly helps

Nothing wrong with wanting to sign young players who also have a lot of Championship experience. It strikes me that Heaton could be a steal like Lee Grant.

But if Dave Jones who has worked with Heaton previously Kirkland is better (which I wouldnt disagree with) and that he is over his injuries then fair dos.

Heaton has only played 51 championship games - all since 2008/09, according to Soccerbase. Only 2 of those were last season.

From the same season onwards, Kirkland played 64 games in the prem.

hes hardly played the last few years, hes the type of gamble we shouldnt be making. weve signed so many crocks before that just soak up the money. im so disapointed. if he stays fit I will eat my wednesday shorts and sock.

Long john silver .........

Guest branksomeowl

Kelly O'Donnell‏@Kelly_O_Donnell

Ive just been speaking with Chris Kirkland... He's confident Sheffield Wednesday have the right staff to help him avoid injury #SWFC

Kelly O'Donnell‏@Kelly_O_Donnell

"Ive had a tough couple of years but hopefully I can get my form back and show everyone what Im capable of" - Chris Kirkland on #SWFC

He was 3rd choice for the last half of this season (perhaps because he made it clear he was leaving?), lets not make things up as we go along, eh?

No, No, No, really mate get your facts right and stop making things up. Kirkland was on the bench twice in the first 4 games of the season, then 2 more times on 24th of Sept, and Oct 1st. Then that's it, so 4 out of the first 8 games. Hardly the second half of the season, hardly, number 2. The next time he made the bench was 17th of Feb until April 11th, Pollitt was injured from 17th of Feb until April 11th with an elbow injury.

So you need to stop making things up.

@frsimmo200

No, No, No, really mate get your facts right and stop making things up. Kirkland was on the bench twice in the first 4 games of the season, then 2 more times on 24th of Sept, and Oct 1st. Then that's it, so 4 out of the first 8 games. Hardly the second half of the season, hardly, number 2. The next time he made the bench was 17th of Feb until April 11th, Pollitt was injured from 17th of Feb until April 11th with an elbow injury.

@frsimmo200

Forgetting about the 2 one-month loan spells too are we? Think that is starting to equate to half a season... Want to get us the figures for last season too so we can have the FULL story rather than your few months snippet? lol

@frsimmo200

He joined Donny Rovers on 12th October on loan which will explain his ommision, because he suffered a back spasm once he had joined. I imagine he will have been receiving treatment as soon as he was back at Wigan

I love this site, we sign someone and all the medical experts tell us he's a crock without looking at him. I don't think for one minute that MM will throw bad money away like has happened in the past (Jeffers, Hinchliffe etc.).

This signing shows that we are not in the Championship to float mid table and this excites me. If CK stays fit I think DJ has just got us a top 6 place minimum.

Welcome to Wednesday Chris

Really hope we keep Bywater though, I love him.

Depends on why we've signed him - We don't know.

If Bywater, Lewis & Heaton have all signed for Chalrton and Weaver is crocked, then Jones may view Kirkland as a worthwhile gamble.

Talking someone I know with back spasms, they don't just disappear. I'm sure if the Pigs had signed Kirkland, we'd all be laughing and saying he's a crock, but who ever he signed for, he'd have to pass a medical.

Hopefully Kirkland's injury problems are behind him though - An injuy free Kirkland would be in the Prem right now imo

He left on loan to Doncaster yes - He was injured from October 14th until December 17th. It was only one loan spell not one, so again stop making things up. The rest of the time he was 3rd choice, so before he left he was fighting with Pollitt, when he got back fit he was 3rd choice.

I have facts, stop guessing mate

Regardless of if you consider this to be a good signing, i think it demonstrates a real statement of intent. The fact that we can now target and then secure players of this pedigree, for me, can only suggest more players of known quality will be arriving.

He left on loan to Doncaster yes - He was injured from October 14th until December 17th. It was only one loan spell not one, so again stop making things up. The rest of the time he was 3rd choice, so before he left he was fighting with Pollitt, when he got back fit he was 3rd choice.

I have facts, stop guessing mate

one loan spell not 2