OFFICIAL - Chris Kirkland Signs

one loan spell not 2

I'm talking about the 2 years that were claimed he's not even been no.2. I don't deal in a couple of months snippets to try and prove an incorrect point pal! He was on loan at Leicester last season.

For the past 2 years, Kirkland has mainly been out on loan or on Wigan's bench - therefore not injured (which I believe has been most people's complaint).

All players undergo medicals before signing, I would assume jeffers did and more recently Otsemobor and Weaver. Any signing is a risk and I suppose Kirkland would be considered more of a risk because of his history

All players undergo medicals before signing, I would assume jeffers did and more recently Otsemobor and Weaver. Any signing is a risk and I suppose Kirkland would be considered more of a risk because of his history

I think our medical team has been enhanced someone since Jeffers was signed mate (and Semi and Weaver too).

Weaver arguably has a worse injury past than Kirkland, yet he still turned in nearly 40 games for us last season didn't he?

I hope he is an amazing signing but people wetting themselves need to think about it. I am talking about last season, not a couple of month snippets. The season before that when you say he was on loan at Leicester, do you know how many games he played? 3 games - he conceded 7 goals in that time! He played 4 games in the Premiership that season and conceded 12, it doesn't make good reading when you get the facts rather than guess at them, that's all i'm saying.

Also that season he lost his place on the bench to Pollitt before he went on loan and only reclaimed it a couple of times when he returned. Please take a look if you don't believe me.

I hope he is an amazing signing but people wetting themselves need to think about it. I am talking about last season, not a couple of month snippets. The season before that when you say he was on loan at Leicester, do you know how many games he played? 3 games - he conceded 7 goals in that time! He played 4 games in the Premiership that season and conceded 12, it doesn't make good reading when you get the facts rather than guess at them, that's all i'm saying.

Also that season he lost his place on the bench to Pollitt before he went on loan and only reclaimed it a couple of times when he returned. Please take a look if you don't believe me.

Aye, because every goal that is conceded is the fault of a goalkeeper and absolutely nothing to do with the defence in front of him.

Anyway, you win mate. I hope we sign Iker Casillias so you're happy! lol

Nothing wrong with wanting to sign young players who also have a lot of Championship experience. It strikes me that Heaton could be a steal like Lee Grant.

But if Dave Jones who has worked with Heaton previously Kirkland is better (which I wouldnt disagree with) and that he is over his injuries then fair dos.

Sure, but we are going to be signing youthful players as well, and in positions where youth makes more of a difference than in net.

Infact I think there's a case to argue that at 31 Kirkland might still have the real peak of his career still to come. If he puts games together, has a good season here and proves he's over any injury niggles then it could be just the start.

You take a risk either way. If you sign a "young, up and coming player" there's a risk his development might not go as planned or that knocks to his confidence will slow him down, etc etc. You can't account for everything. There are risks associated with signing Chris Kirkland but the difference is is that he has already proven himself in terms of raw quality in his position. He's nothing to prove in terms of being a good Goalkeeper. He needs to prove he's not a crock, but the fact we've offered him a two year deal on the basis that he's passed a medical undertaken by trained professionals suggest he should be alright.

no matter what he has done in the past couple of seasons he is now with us therefore it is down him to prove his worth , if DJ is happy then thats what matters is it not ,

Edited by trevdi9

Looking forward to the confirmation that Kieran Lee has signed and the posts saying we should have bought in Dani Alves instead! lol

EVERY signing is a gamble.

Whoever said anything about signing a bigger or better player? Nobody, stop sulking.

Dave you are right about youth being perhaps more important in other positions Out of interest, assuming we can tie up deals for last years loanees, where do you think we will be introducing some quality younger players?

Guest Briscoe Inferno

Sure, but we are going to be signing youthful players as well, and in positions where youth makes more of a difference than in net.

Infact I think there's a case to argue that at 31 Kirkland might still have the real peak of his career still to come. If he puts games together, has a good season here and proves he's over any injury niggles then it could be just the start.

You take a risk either way. If you sign a "young, up and coming player" there's a risk his development might not go as planned or that knocks to his confidence will slow him down, etc etc. You can't account for everything. There are risks associated with signing Chris Kirkland but the difference is is that he has already proven himself in terms of raw quality in his position. He's nothing to prove in terms of being a good Goalkeeper. He needs to prove he's not a crock, but the fact we've offered him a two year deal on the basis that he's passed a medical undertaken by trained professionals suggest he should be alright.

Indeed Dave.

We need a good experienced spine down the middle of the team - Megson recognised this and put together a good one for League 1.

Dave Jones appears to be doing the same thing for the Championship.

Good experienced keeper.

Good experienced CB

Good experienced Striker.

We already have Semedo in the middle of the park and we can play lean and hungry youngsters like Lee off that spine to give us the right blend.

I am hoping Linesy will shine this year - with that extra bit of space and time to pick out the passes to the flanks or threading balls through to someone with pace alongside Gary Madine.

Heaton has only played 51 championship games - all since 2008/09, according to Soccerbase. Only 2 of those were last season.

From the same season onwards, Kirkland played 64 games in the prem.

51 games is pretty good for a 22 year old keeper. Lee Grant had barely had a sniff of football for a couple of seasons but was a solid signing here.

There's no doubt that at face value Kirkland has had the better career and is more proven at a higher level provided he stays fit. It seems weve done our homework on his fitness, but if we are gambling on this I would have thought Heaton might have been a good bet.

I'm not against the signing of Kirkland, but I think there are solid reasons for people also wanting us to have gone for Heaton.

51 games is pretty good for a 22 year old keeper. Lee Grant had barely had a sniff of football for a couple of seasons but was a solid signing here.

There's no doubt that at face value Kirkland has had the better career and is more proven at a higher level provided he stays fit. It seems weve done our homework on his fitness, but if we are gambling on this I would have thought Heaton might have been a good bet.

I'm not against the signing of Kirkland, but I think there are solid reasons for people also wanting us to have gone for Heaton.

We may well have done, and it was a no goer. Nobody can argue that Kirkland is potentially a mega signing for us, if DJ believes he was the best option we could get, thats good enough for me.

Happy to be getting our business done early tbh