OFFICIAL - Chris Kirkland Signs

51 games is pretty good for a 22 year old keeper. Lee Grant had barely had a sniff of football for a couple of seasons but was a solid signing here.

There's no doubt that at face value Kirkland has had the better career and is more proven at a higher level provided he stays fit. It seems weve done our homework on his fitness, but if we are gambling on this I would have thought Heaton might have been a good bet.

I'm not against the signing of Kirkland, but I think there are solid reasons for people also wanting us to have gone for Heaton.

Heaton is 26 isn't he?

Christ. Which ever way Kirkland turns out, you just know some cockmunchers will resurrect this thread in 6 months with a load of "told you so" posts.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

If we're also keeping Bywater and Weaver then that's got to be the best GK lineup outside the premier league

Although we've offered Bywater a new contract, does it necessarily mean that we'll also keep Weaver? Three senior keepers would surely take a big chunk out of the wage bill and even if two/all three were injured, there is the emergency loan system.

Also, what about the financial fair play where you can only spend 55%?

Guest wilyfox

so was Heaton a red-herring? i still hope we sign Bywater. Kirkland, Weaver and Jameson do tend to pick up their fair share of injuries...

i hope it works out for Kirkland; very talented goalkeeper. i know he claims to have been fit throughout the last 2 seasons - but that was 2 seasons of bench-warming, not playing games. of course he was more likely to keep fit and healthy. you need a robust and strong constitution to be a keeper; i just hope his injuries are behind him.

Guest Big Guns

Comments good or bad keep the site alive. Only thing that really matters is that DJ thinks its a good move for SWFC and so far he seems to know what he's doing.

Apart from dropping lowe lol

That is our fifth keeper called Chris in the last 20 odd years

Chris Turner

Chris Woods

Chris Stringer

Chris Adamson

Chris Kirkland

Welcome to the side Mr Kirkland. Nice to get a high profile first signing. Can only help persuade others to join up.

Guest Big Guns

Well. well, well so Kirkland has been signed as a number 2 Will be some very embarassed people on here after going far too over the top in my opinion

No he hasn't that post is in correct.

So if he hasn't bring bought in as a number one, what number is it? Seriously though, there was far too much rejoicing about this signing in my opinion. He was at one time, a very fine young prospect. Lost his way but still remains a useful keeper who if he can put his injury problems behind him, could be a very good signing

There must be some sort of incentivised contract for Kirkland, largely based on games played.

Too much of a risk otherwise. Im sure Milan and DJ would've been careful with the contract offered, we're past the old days of terrible decision making at the top.

Guest Big Guns

So if he hasn't bring bought in as a number one, what number is it? Seriously though, there was far too much rejoicing about this signing in my opinion. He was at one time, a very fine young prospect. Lost his way but still remains a useful keeper who if he can put his injury problems behind him, could be a very good signing

It's just Dave Jones been a good man manager

You don't just say to your current no1

Right your dropped even tho he is

flip me, its time to flip this 'negging' testicles off, trying to read a 12 page thread on our new signing is a right ball ache when half of it is filled with who 'negged' who, grow up you fannys, who the hell cares

That is our fifth keeper called Chris in the last 20 odd years

Chris Turner

Chris Woods

Chris Stringer

Chris Adamson

Chris Kirkland

Welcome to the side Mr Kirkland. Nice to get a high profile first signing. Can only help persuade others to join up.

Some might say that, ahem, we're walking in a Christopher Kirkland.

Guest shakeyowl

Been listening to dave jones on audioboo. he wants 3 keepers here. his words were more or less who ever plays the best will start in goal. not at one point did he say kirkland was first choice when asked by paul walker.