OFFICIAL - Chris Kirkland Signs

We may well have done, and it was a no goer. Nobody can argue that Kirkland is potentially a mega signing for us, if DJ believes he was the best option we could get, thats good enough for me.

Happy to be getting our business done early tbh

Me too, too often we have waited too long and missed out on numerous targets, only to end up with the slim pickings at the end.

This is how the new Wednesday will start to do things I feel. Exciting times.

So if he hasn't bring bought in as a number one, what number is it? Seriously though, there was far too much rejoicing about this signing in my opinion. He was at one time, a very fine young prospect. Lost his way but still remains a useful keeper who if he can put his injury problems behind him, could be a very good signing

and not number 1. rest my case. embarrassed yourself

GlassSmall.jpg

So if he hasn't bring bought in as a number one, what number is it? Seriously though, there was far too much rejoicing about this signing in my opinion. He was at one time, a very fine young prospect. Lost his way but still remains a useful keeper who if he can put his injury problems behind him, could be a very good signing

Everybody else has pretty much said exactly what you've just said. Could be a very good signing but added the caveat, if he stays fit. Haven't seen any unconditional "rejoicing".

On the number, DJ has said exactly what any other manager would say. You don't admit to having any automatic starters, whoever you are. Kirkland said the same in his comments yesterday, talking about there being competition.

Forgetting about the 2 one-month loan spells too are we? Think that is starting to equate to half a season... Want to get us the figures for last season too so we can have the FULL story rather than your few months snippet? lol

To be fair if he was sent out on loan then he obviously wasn't the 2nd choice keeper

This one will only be measured in hindsight - nobody knows how he will fare and he's been out the 1st team picture for a long time - he isn't a premier class keeper (or wasn't last time i saw him regularly) - and i have always taken a keen interest in him because when he broke through he looked so immense - if he'd kept fit and fulfilled his potential the Joe Hart would eb going to the euros as Kirklands back up keeper - but unfortunately it didn't work out like that.

also about medicals - lots of crocks pass stringent medicals - they are only a snapshot of a moment in time

Conversely some players fail medicals who go on to enjoy careers unblemished by injury - its a bit of a lottery.

This is the type of signing i'd expect DJ to make because the potential benefits are enormous and i fully exect there is a contingency should it not work out well.

The best thing about this thread is the "Owlstalk Shift" towards PA - he's gone from being a wrecker of our season, the reason we wouldn't get promoted, the pariah who stifled and prevented GM from doing his job and the father of all evils - to the best and most efficient football administrator in history

Gotta love it..

To be fair if he was sent out on loan then he obviously wasn't the 2nd choice keeper

Depends on the circumstances.

If you have a 2nd choice GK with a suspect injury record, wouldn't you want him to get some football to see what his fitness is like rather than sitting in some confortable seats on the bench?

I know I'd want him to be tested and see how his fitness holds up by playing first team football. In that case, I'd promote me 3rd choice to cover the bench for a month knowing that he is unlikely to be used.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

If you have a 2nd choice GK with a suspect injury record, wouldn't you want him to get some football to see what his fitness is like rather than sitting in some confortable seats on the bench?

I know I'd want him to be tested and see how his fitness holds up by playing first team football. In that case, I'd promote me 3rd choice to cover the bench for a month knowing that he is unlikely to be used.

Agree. Don't think it's such a rigid situation as 1,2,3 are set in stone. Kirkland might have been second best keeper at club, but if he hadn't played for a while, was keen to get some first team games, and got an offer, then you can understand Wigan saying go out, Mike Pollitt is more than capable of being on bench for us, and we'll insert a recall clause into loan agreement to cover ourselves.

Kelly O'Donnell‏@Kelly_O_Donnell

Ive just been speaking with Chris Kirkland... He's confident Sheffield Wednesday have the right staff to help him avoid injury #SWFC

Kelly O'Donnell‏@Kelly_O_Donnell

"Ive had a tough couple of years but hopefully I can get my form back and show everyone what Im capable of" - Chris Kirkland on #SWFC

Sounds promising.

Sulking that you guessed at everything.

Well. well, well so Kirkland has been signed as a number 2 Will be some very embarassed people on here after going far too over the top in my opinion

and not number 1. rest my case. embarrassed yourself

:laugh:

Have you both heard yourselves? Where has DJ said Chris has been signed as #2? Neither of you have proved anything except making crap up like Chris is going to be #2.

He's making sure that all the keepers know that no-one is guaranteed a shirt and whoever plays well will keep it...that is exactly how it should be. Essentially, he's saying they are all #1's unless they mess up.

Anyway, got every faith in DJ signings, and I'm very confident this will be a good one.

But then the loan keeper would come back and be 2nd choice - not stay 3rd choice whatever - and unless it is for a confirmed fitness exercise then 2nd choice keeper doesn't go on loan - i just think you're wrong on this and Kirkland was no longer in the top 2 keeper hierarchy at Wigan

Anyway this bout of semantics has run its course for me - it doen't matter if he was 22nd choice - what matters is how he fares for us

But then the loan keeper would come back and be 2nd choice - not stay 3rd choice whatever - and unless it is for a confirmed fitness exercise then 2nd choice keeper doesn't go on loan - i just think you're wrong on this and Kirkland was no longer in the top 2 keeper hierarchy at Wigan

Anyway this bout of semantics has run its course for me - it doen't matter if he was 22nd choice - what matters is how he fares for us

Fair enough mate, it is all about opinions - and only Martinez will know (though Kirkland himself said he was fed up of being no.2 at Wigan).

Think Grant was 3rd choice for Derby and did a sound job for us - so as you say, it doesn't matter.

So long as he stays clear of injuries, he'll be a quality GK at this level, and that is all that counts.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

What do you make of the back spasms? Something to be really concerned about?

If they recur, he will be out for a few weeks. we will have weaver or Bywater as a replacement, so not the end of the world.

I'm gob smacked we have managed to pull off a signing with not a single local footy journo getting a sniff of it.

Very impressed.

Just hope he stays fit, however he is nearing 30 and some lightbulbs might have clicked.

I bet Seth is choking on his doughnut.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Backs don't go into spasm without a reason so it depends what the trigger is/was - if its due to muscle imbalance or weakness then its relatively easy to correct - if its more discogenic or due to bony architecture then its not so straightforward.