How old were you (and your kids) when you first went to Hillsborough?

Guest S7Owl

been going as long as I can remember, probably 4 or 5 when I first went, my boy has started going regular this season, he is 5, took me eldest girl a few times since she was 5, she isn't as bothered, laddo first went at about 1 month old to a friendly bless him, sat on the south, been to the odd match since and regular this year, my youngest (3 year old girl) hasn't been yet, but is mental so might end up with a season ticket next season, just in case ;)

Guest super mandaric

I think i was about 6 or 7. Can't remember when or what match it was. All i remember was getting some free Harry Potter jelly beans from one of the kiosks on the north stand. Me and my brother we're chuffed... until we realized the sweets we're several months out of date!

Edited by super mandaric

Guest Fedor

Took my lad 3 times this season today included and weve won every game without conceding( hes 7 by the way).

For all you stattos out there my first game was in the 70s and pretty sure we lost 4-0 to Chesterfield. Can any of you clarify if this was right.

9. Boxing Day 1984 vs Aston Villa.

My boy was 5, but TBH, it is too young. They've got to really be in to it to keep their attention, otherwise they're wanting to go to the snack bar or whatever.

7 or 8 is about right, but always worth a try at a preseason friendly. That way you're not really missing anything.

UTO :biggrin:

I beg to differ, i was 5. Enthralled by every second.

My son had his first match at six months (the must-win, did-win 4-1 against Norwich in 2008), and has been a season ticket holder ever since - he's 4 and a half now, loves going to matches and has been to his first three aways this season.

My daughter is 1 tomorrow and first went at 6 days old - she's come to a dozen games this season but only when we've got nobody to look after her. It's basically a chore until they're 4 or so.

I was 4 or 5...went in the old North Stand with my dad and uncle, to watch Wednesday play Wolves as my uncle used to play for them. Don't remember the game just lots of blokes in long coats, caps and smoking but I loved it...can still recall the smells and sounds, that strange mix of paternalism and being surrounded but safe and the noise....fell in love with hillsborough...

1977 I was 7 I think was Ashurst's last game, I can't remember the game but I remember spending most of my time watching the crowd. My boys were 6. Incidently me and both kids were chosen by Wednesday when we have been in the 3rd division, 77, 2005 and last season.I've just got to get my youngest to a match this season to complete the set

I was 8 ... last game 69/70 v Man City at home....we lost 1-2 and went down...Wednesday testing my resolve and loyalty from day one!!!...45,000 in at my first match and floodlit tho...will never forget it!!!....

Oh my god what a flipping start, I was nearly in tears after that match. As it was I did'nt eat for two days afterwards. My initiation was in 64, no idea who we played but we won 2-1 and I realised there was a heaven. I was hooked from there on in.

Haha...yeah a right start to my career chap!!!...asked my dad why there wasnt any extra time at the end!!!...i remember being really impressed with Man Citys away strip and recognising Mike Summerbee....learnt that Tony Coleman wasnt normally very good from my Dad even tho he scored!!!...mainly remember walking up the steps in the North and my first view of the ground all lit up and packed out...next game wasnt much better.....0-3 at home v Leicester city the season after!!!....

You must be around my age Mr Soul Power....was on the kop that night...soaked and sad and my feet didn't touch the floor when the ground emptied. I was squashed and lifted out by the sheer volume of bodies pushed together...

Like many in this thread, I too was 8.

September 1982 - beat Chelsea 3-2.

My daughter is 14 months old, so roll on 2019. Can't wait to show her Hillsborough.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.