How old were you (and your kids) when you first went to Hillsborough?

Thanks all. I think 7/8 sounds about right then. Trouble is I live in Brum and need to get them up to the Northern Mecca before the Birmingham City supporting in-laws get their hands on them! I think I'll have a look at a pre-season friendly or maybe one of those early season cup games. See if the older lad likes it and take it from there!

8 years old for me 1976, my daughter was 8 we played Barnsley first game of the season, my son was 4 took him to the next home game. My other daughter who doesn't like watching went when she was 9.

My daughter was 18 months old. If someone else had this to me before her I would have said it was ridiculous and we didn't take our boys until they were 4.

My daughter was just genuinely into it of her own choosing from a very early age. She regularly asked for The Football League Show on catch up though she calls it "Wednesday Goals", from about 12 months old. She was asking to go. She can generally tell you the goal scorers of the previous game who is injured and what's wrong with them in simplistic terms (poorly toe etc), recognises a number of the players, and she was nagging us to go for real so we gave in.

She joined in songs and shouted "more times" at people when the singing died down. She shouted encouragement such as "kick the ball Wednesday".

The moment that really lives with me though was emerging from the gangway with her into the stadium for the first time. I swear on my life she looked around at all the people and said "Daddy we ARE MASSIVE"!

The correct age to take your kids along is dependent entirely on their level of interest, though I never would have said this before meeting my little girl.

I was about10 & we lost to West Ham the year they went up as champions & won the cup. Went in the South stand & still remember the WOW of seeing inside Hillsborough for the first time. Took my Son when he was 6 & will never forget the WOW on his face as we walked up the steps on the kop. Megson got that spot on !

I was 5 when me and my Dad got our season tickets for the first time, 1984-85 season.

We are both still there plus the addition of my daughter who got her first season ticket for the 2009-10 season when she was 6. She's hooked now!! It won't be long until my younger daughter will have hers....probably the season after next when she will be the same at 6.

God knows how I'm paying for it like but hey ho WAWAW!

WTID

I was told that I went when I was 3 or 4, sat on my dads sholders....but my first memories are of playing Roma in '61 when I was 11.....seem to remember that they started the second half with 13 players! That was also the year that we beat Man U 7-2 at old Trafford in the cup...was there too!

My first was 7 years old v Chelsea 1965 think it was a draw....

Both my daughter and son went when around 5 or 6. and now I can't wait to take my grandchildren , currently 2 years old , but already recognising Wednesday badges etc. I agree with some of the other posts, I think 6-8 years old is about right.

I knew a wednesdayite who 'forced' his son to go about 4/5 and his lad then ended up hating football for 10 years until finally coming back into the fold when he was 15.

I think when they ask/beg to go with you is about the right time, but expect to spend time and money buying drinks and snacks!!

Edited by oakleyrob

I was 12 when i went to my 1st game - Norwich at home new years day 1987.

My kids were taken to their 1st games when they (the 2 oldest) were 6 and 5 but the youngest took some shifting , he was 11 - cant remember the games but the older 2 was a PL game.

Guest mark mark

I've been going since I was 4, and I've been taking my eldest lad who's now 5 since he was 2 1/2 years old no probs at all. 1st time I took him we sat in south stand on front row kop end cause more room for him to plod about with wide aisle at front, also you don't have to fight to get photos with ozzy and barnett! Gonna take my 2nd son who's 2 years and 4 months to last game against Wycombe!