Are we actually...good?

I've been thinking about starting this topic for a while but...

Are we actually as good as our league position? This time last year we were 5th on 17 points. We're now 2nd on 25 points, 3 behind the 'runaway' league leaders. No one seems to be talking about us though?

Not only have we not lost at home so far this season - we haven't even drawn. We have scored more goals at home than any other team in the league. Away from home is my big worry... We've lost to Bournemouth, Bury and got absolutely humiliated by Stevenage... but are we starting to turn a corner there? A good draw at Charlton, followed by a win at Yeovil and a consecutive away win at Hartlepool (unbeaten at home until us). Has Megson cracked it? Two of our results on the road have come against teams right at the top of the table and in form. We've turned over MK dons at home, beaten one of our local rivals...

I think what I am trying to say is... I don't really believe it. For years now I have watched other teams storm away at the top of the league... go 3,4,5,6 games in a row unbeaten... I've always thought 'why can't that be us' ? Now we look like we are doing it and I don't believe it's real. I can't get my head round us actually being good.. are we? We've got the top goalscorer in England.. he's being supplied by one of the best wingers in this League. We seem to have secured one of the best centre mids I've seen since Whelan. Our back four is actually starting to look pretty solid and we've got a keeper behind them who was instrumental in Derby's promotion to the prem a few years back...

But I keep expecting us to lose against poo poo teams. I keep feeling amazed when we get consecutive wins... Like it's pure fluke. But is it? Or has Megson cracked it? Is this a false dawn or are we actually - finally - truly beginning a slow climb back towards where we all want to be?

Look basically can I get excited or not?

Thought about typing a long response with my thoughts... but basically I think we are getting good.

We have a proper manager, proper chairman, proper senior management and a squad of mostly proper players.

It's all set up to move forward now... fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the ride.

As I found out as a teenager in the 80's, when Wednesday get on a roll it's the best flippingthing ever.

Thought about typing a long response with my thoughts... but basically I think we are getting good.

We have a proper manager, proper chairman, proper senior management and a squad of mostly proper players.

It's all set up to move forward now... fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the ride.

As I found out as a teenager in the 80's, when Wednesday get on a roll it's the best flippingthing ever.

When we get going we're like a runaway train.

And wouldn't it be great to see Premiership games again in front of 30,000+ ?

As for the noise from a near capacity Hillsborough - bloody awesome!

Remember the Kaiserslautern match?

When we get going we're like a runaway train.

And wouldn't it be great to see Premiership games again in front of 30,000+ ?

As for the noise from a near capacity Hillsborough - bloody awesome!

Remember the Kaiserslautern match?

I do and it's nice to remember something other than the AGM

Guest Briscoe Inferno

its amazing if we could do a norwich and spend just 1 season in the championship and straight to prem!

One step at a time eh..... lol

It's a good question, I can't quite believe it but I think it might actually be true. I think... It might...

Last season it felt like we were in the top two just via early season momentum and by cobbling a good result together here and there. This season it feels like we are steadily building up instead of nervously looking down and that when we win it's because we deserve to.

I'm nervous as hell about the derby but buzzing about the season so far.

Guest Distraught!

How we acquit ourselves against Huddersfield will be the true measure.

I think they are the best in the league and the benchmark we should chase.

We still need to find the right man to partner Madine and a reliable winger on the opposite side to Marshall.

We are light years ahead of where we were last year and the background instability that so clearly effected the squad last year is gone. I honestly think we are in a much better position than we have been for a long time.

For the first time in a decade or two I can see teams not wanting to play against us, we are seeing teams come to Hillsborough and set up to try for a point. That alone shows that we are a different prospect.

Yes the Hillsborough injury cures will hit at some stage, yes we will have the odd wobble but are we actually good? Ask again at 2pm on Sunday, see what the general feeling is. It'll be either euphoria or doubts creeping back in.

Last season we went on sprees of winning loads of games, then losing loads on the spin. We barely had any draws under Irvine and consistency was non-existent.

Even most of the games we did win seemed to be fairly fortunate, this season I can't see us ever going on a 3 or 4 game losing streak, and the games we would have lost or drawn last season (Scunny, County, MK, possibly even Chesterfield) have been turned into wins this year.

The majority of people were not happy last season even when we were one win away from being top of the league at new year, that shows just how badly we were scraping points and why it only took a couple of months into the new year for Irvine to get the sack.

This season we're near the top again, but this time it feels like we deserve it, and will fight tooth and nail to stay here. Bring on the games, I don't fear anyone in this division any more.

i think we are ok, my worry is that one team will take their chances that others have failed to convert in recent games and it could all go boobies up (again ie Stevanage).

The last few games have been against average teams, the derby will be a good benchmark against players who are at a pretty similar level if not higher ie Quinn, Evans etc.

We WILL go up though just think we need to get the whole team gelled etc plus Marshall and Batth loans are scaring the life out of me.

Edited by modboy

I think Sunday’s game will be the biggest test yet, going on such a great run usually sets a team up for a season, which is why it was so galling to see us fall off the pace last year.

I think last year has left a lot of us feeling nervous, but we do seem a lot more resilient and have been able to gain some confidence after some bad away results. I do think that we are more vulnerable than some people are alluding to ahead of this massive game, as we have flown by the seat of our pants at times but we seem stronger mentally and we have gained a habit of finding the first goal.

Another big difference is that we now have an effective screen in front of the defence and some consistent attackers in Marshall and Madine. If we beat the pigs away, then I will be officially excited as its no easy task.