Are we actually...good?

The Stevenage result put a rocket under the players. I reckon that 1 result has had the biggest effect on our season. It showed the players that they will have to work hard, even in this league. It showed GM a lot about the character of certain players, both how they were on the night and how they've reacted since. It made him change things and proved to the players that we have competition for places. If they want to play then theyve got to work hard. Those that don't are shipped out.

I'm more confident because we've had that result. The players won't want it again cos it will have caused them some right grief. Dont point to that one result as a weakness, look at the strength shown since it happened instead.

As for are we actually good? We are effective in this league. I said at the beginning of the season that we won't be pretty but we'll be effective. This is us right now. We are big, strong and effective. We are doing what it takes to get out. Look at the 'only one team tried to play football' comments. The more of those we get the better off we will be cos it's usually a losing manager that comes out with that one. Some fans will complain about it, but their complaints sound pretty hollow when you're 3 goals up. It's about points, not style. Style can come when we've got players capable of it. Points will come this season cos that's what this team is built to achieve.

Long may that continue.

That's a great post.

I think we can afford to be optimistic, we seem to be an improving team, I want to see JJ scaring the poo poo out of defenders again down the right wing, he will have to improve his crossing. I think we will batter the piggys Sunday, who have they come up against this season?, no-one of any real note. We are improving and they seem to be deteriorating - I think we'll win big.....and I'm not normally this positive when it comes to Wednesday!

UTO!

*waits for flippingReading Owl to come and upset the apple cart...!*

I can't get over opimistic just yet.

I have seen it too many times, just to be disppointed. It's the Wednesday Way. I really don't know how good/bad we are.This is a strange league and every team we play seem to be 'up for it'. I know some don't agree, but that makes it doubly hard.

My initial assessment of this seasons prospects was that Megson would have a tough job to turn this ship around.

He has done an amazing job so far. I am absolutely delighted.

My fear is that Bournemouth, Bury & Stevenage were not just one offs. But I do acknowledge that the squad is getting stronger weekly, so hopefully we can dismiss those.

In any event - I think Megson is doing a briliant job and we are on our way.

I could never say the same about Irvine, regardless of results.

*33 **** off with your clapping*

The Stevenage result put a rocket under the players. I reckon that 1 result has had the biggest effect on our season. It showed the players that they will have to work hard, even in this league. It showed GM a lot about the character of certain players, both how they were on the night and how they've reacted since. It made him change things and proved to the players that we have competition for places. If they want to play then theyve got to work hard. Those that don't are shipped out.

I'm more confident because we've had that result. The players won't want it again cos it will have caused them some right grief. Dont point to that one result as a weakness, look at the strength shown since it happened instead.

As for are we actually good? We are effective in this league. I said at the beginning of the season that we won't be pretty but we'll be effective. This is us right now. We are big, strong and effective. We are doing what it takes to get out. Look at the 'only one team tried to play football' comments. The more of those we get the better off we will be cos it's usually a losing manager that comes out with that one. Some fans will complain about it, but their complaints sound pretty hollow when you're 3 goals up. It's about points, not style. Style can come when we've got players capable of it. Points will come this season cos that's what this team is built to achieve.

Long may that continue.

Totally agree. We've shown great character.

The way I see the team at the moment is this.

I don't think we'll go out and destroy many teams and pass them off the park, but we will win games quite comfortably. Like has been said we're a big effective unit that at the moment seems content to do enough to win games and we are capable of scoring goals. We seem able and content to soak up a bit of pressure which is a good job cos we do seem to sit back and drop deep in games. I think any problems that we have had or will have will be of put own making. I don't see many teams beating us if we are up for it.

As for the optimism around the club and fans, I say enjoy it and revel in it. We as fans are quick to jump on the wagon if things are going wrong so let's enjoy the good times while they're here. I think the " we can do a Norwich " stuff is a bit premature but wouldn't it be fantastic if the dreams came true.

Get ya sens down to hillsborough " yeah " cos " believe you me " somethings happening at our club and we all should/deserve to be part of it

:biggrin::cool::biggrin:

My fear is that Bournemouth, Bury & Stevenage were not just one offs. But I do acknowledge that the squad is getting stronger weekly, so hopefully we can dismiss those.

I don't believe Bournemouth and Bury were one-off's either. But these games were at the start of the season when we were still bringing in players and only had one fit striker. Things have changed dramatically since then - all for the better - and that is why we've maintained our home form (and performances have also gotten better) and we're starting to win away games. The Stevenage result was a one-off. It was a shocker, and it has contributed (along with Cheatvil cheating) to our current team spirit, which seems very high, and that can only be a good thing. I very much doubt we'll see another 'Stevenage' for a very long time.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

Guest gingerowl1

I know exactly what your saying. My overriding feeling is that I haven't come away from a game yet this season thinking we played amazing all game. I haven't had that feeling that we absolutely battered a team. Most games the opposition seem to have a spell why by we look all over the place, and if that team had anything about them they could easily score a couple - take chesterfield sat, or the second half at hartlepool. Even Exeter at home, I thought the score flattered us!

I might be being over critical, but I think we are riding a wave at the moment and I m waiting for us to fall off - although a good hiding every now and again might do us good as I think the players start to think we are invincible and disrespect teams - stevenage being proof of that!

Dont get me wrong though, Im enjoying it for now.