Steve Howard

Guest intercity0wl

We need people like Howard for when we are away from home. When it's cold and wet on a Tuesday night after a long journey players like him are the ones who count and grind out results in this league.

We need characters like that of Prutton and Jones to drag us through this season, we got bullied by teams last season and had no leaders on the pitch willing to stand up and be counted.

regardless of the style of play, youve got to make the best with the tools you have.

with what megson has at his disposal, a striker who can hold the ball up, bully defenders and win plenty of headers would be an absolute treat. We are in league one and can only attract a certain level of player - Steve Howard isnt a bad shout for a squad player, and we arent exactly chocca with other options are we.

Exactly. You do what you can with what you've got.

If Megson had Iniesta and Xavi in midfield he wouldn't use the same 'style' he is now.

At the Rotherham game, for the first time in years, we had a midfield. We also had a team where every player was DESPERATE for the ball.

Players who want the ball will move. This gives players with the ball options. It results in us playing good football and it is nothing to do with 'style of play'.

Guest BoomTownOwls

We played good football with a degree of success under Megson last season once we stopped launching the ball constantly to Madines head.

Well then, shut up moaning.

Guest wilyfox

couldn't we find someone older and a little less agile than Steve Howard?! what's Gordon Watson doing these days....?

When Mellor, who Preston want shut of, and Batth, who McCarthy is still assessing, eventually sign for us, which I still believe they will despite everything written to the contrary, we'll all be better off.

Agreed. I wish I shared your optimism on Mellor mind. I'd be more confident of landing O'Grady myself.

Im just sick of being poo poo and having fans from Charlton/Brighton/Exeter taking the wee wee out of us

if Megson thinks he can add something to our team and get us promotion thats fine by me, we can have a re-think when we get back to the championship

I don't get this obsession with playing nice football.

We were absolutely horrible to watch under Sturrock, which incidently was the last time we got out of this league.

I think looking at the signings Megson has made it's clear there's a certain direction he wants this team to go in. For me Howard would fit in well with the rest of the squad. He's an attainable target, experienced at this level and would provide a decent squad option.

Howard and Jon Parkin to complete our strikeforce? :ph34r:

In all seriousness if we ended up With Amond and Howard I'm not sure it would leave us better off than Mellor and Heffernan. A sideways step at best and not the bigger progression of Semedo/Prutton Vs Potter/Miller.

Agreed. I wish I shared your optimism on Mellor mind. I'd be more confident of landing O'Grady myself.

It's the other way around for me mate. I can't see us pushing the boat too further out for COG and Burnley's apparent interest may kill the deal anyhow logic suggests. Whereas with Mellor, despite Brown's love in with him, the Preston board need to get shut sharpish. He's a millstone around their necks. The game of brinkmanship with Mellor is surely near it's conclusion? He just needs a little push from his employers and Brown politely told to forget it methinks.

Edited by theowlsman

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Do you think Megson has just heard about Almond or do you think he may have been on his radar for a while? I know what I think.

This Almond?

1276077797-marc-almond.jpg

Do you think Megson has just heard about Almond or do you think he may have been on his radar for a while? I know what I think.

I find the trialiist situation very interesting.

On the first level, they're pretty obscure names from obscure places. Since when did we have contacts watching Panamanian, Portuguese, and Belgian leagues? Is it that Milan's contacts, and desire to implement a decent scouting network, is paying dividends already, or are these brought to Gary's attention by his own personal contacts built up over the years?

Has Milan recommended these players to GM through his agent contacts - because they're cheaper alternatives? Or, bearing in mind they all seem to be half decent, directly in contrast to most of the players introduced with Milan's blessing during January, has GM been the driving force behind trialling them?

Are these trialists being forced on Megson, or is he trying his damnedest to find alternative players of sufficient quality having been told the budget's not as great as he was promised?

Are we holding off from firming up better offers for GM's original targets until we've seen what the trialists are made of?