Steve Howard

Guest intercity0wl

Guest BirdonaMaguire

havent we scored almost all our pre season goals from corners? :mellow:

Yeah against Non-League and League Two opposition, imagine starting the season with Sedgwick as first choice winger.

He's awful, but he get's away without abuse cos he's a "Wednesdayite"

Anyway we scored a few last pre-season from corners, come the first game of the season we hit the first man

Guest BirdonaMaguire

:huh: for real?

Yes, forgive me for liking a game where the players pass and move rather than hoof and hope to score via a set piece.

You've said this about every f*cking player we've been linked with.

Who do you really expect us to get you idiot? We are in League One FFS! Eurghh.

When the club come out and say, "we're going to have a real go at it this year", it raises people's expectations on who we're going to sign, so you can't blame fans for getting inpatient, disappointed, when we don't get certain players we're supposedly linked with!

Yeah against Non-League and League Two opposition, imagine starting the season with Sedgwick as first choice winger.

He's awful, but he get's away without abuse cos he's a "Wednesdayite"

Anyway we scored a few last pre-season from corners, come the first game of the season we hit the first man

indeed, and i dont read too much into the pre season friendlys. but my point is valid, with the players we have at the moment, set pieces are our best threat (reda, beevers, jones, buxton, madine) so having howard on the pitch would make sense. im simply suggesting that we are already set up to play a certain way, Howard would fit into that style, and also could cover for Madine.

We may sign Mellor and O grady, in which case i wouldnt see the need for Howard - but if we dont get them, we still need that option.

Yes, forgive me for liking a game where the players pass and move rather than hoof and hope to score via a set piece.

if we score 5 goals you would only be slightly entertained?

your expectations are not going to be met this season then im afraid.

Guest highamowl

Depends, if it's scrappy 1-0 wins in freezing cold winter nights when we take an early lead then defend it then no, if it's 5-0 with 5 goals from corners then I could be slightly entertained.

As for us going unbeaten at home, give over, the closest we got to that was under Pleat

I didnt say that we would go unbeaten, I just meant dont judge the entertainment value and how certain players will/wont do before the season starts. Were going to play a certain way this year under Megson, and we need the players for him to be able to do that. At the moment we have one target man, who is going to be central to our plans. Having a second one would not be a bad thing. Direct football can be entertaining when played right. If we have wingers running at people and stretching the game, it may be very direct, but it will keep us interested.

Is he guaranteed to get 15-20? like Clinton was?

He's 35 and has the moving circle of an arctic, 5 years ago I would have bitten your hands off, now I think he's too old and too liable to pick up knocks.

As for the style of football, I pay £400 for entertainment, I can watch park football for free

laugh.gif

I'd go to a strip club with that money if you want entertainment mate, we've not had that at Hillsborough for years and you are kidding yourself if you think we'll get it in league 1!

Guest BirdonaMaguire

I didnt say that we would go unbeaten, I just meant dont judge the entertainment value and how certain players will/wont do before the season starts. Were going to play a certain way this year under Megson, and we need the players for him to be able to do that. At the moment we have one target man, who is going to be central to our plans. Having a second one would not be a bad thing. Direct football can be entertaining when played right. If we have wingers running at people and stretching the game, it may be very direct, but it will keep us interested.

If I wanted hoof/direct I'd watch Stoke, look at the sides that went up last term they played the game the right way, it's not impossible to go up with good football, just seems the fan base are that success starved they'd take hoofball.

if we score 5 goals you would only be slightly entertained?

your expectations are not going to be met this season then im afraid.

Yes I would only be slightly entertained if all five were the same, hoof and set piece.

If I wanted hoof/direct I'd watch Stoke, look at the sides that went up last term they played the game the right way, it's not impossible to go up with good football, just seems the fan base are that success starved they'd take hoofball.

That's very blinkered. Stoke have done well in recent years with the football getting better and better and had turned themselves into an established well drilled premier league team, something that i'd certainly be happy with if we were in their position.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

That's very blinkered. Stoke have done well in recent years with the football getting better and better and had turned themselves into an established well drilled premier league team, something that i'd certainly be happy with if we were in their position.

Stoke have done well but lets be right they won't ever amount to anything, the odd cup final apart, that style of football will probably be outlawed by FIFA somehow! To me they a like the Wednesday side of the mid 80's, they get found out after a while and the support drops due to getting bored of it.

Guest thekelch

I think he'd be a good signing and really don't see this arguement that "we already have Madine for that". Madine is a lad of 22, who at the moment is carrying our entire front line, do we really expect him to be able to do that for a full 50 game + season without ever needing a rest, or getting injured/suspended/arrested?

What possibly harm could it do to bring in an experienced target man to help bring Madine along, for Madine to learn off in training and to play games in the LDV etc?

I doubt they'd ever start up front together.

Guest highamowl

Stoke can be good to watch, as they play with people running at the opposition. They are fully commited, and having watched what we have, I wish we had their commitment. There is not a right way to play football. that is an arrogant view, and the game would be boring if every team played the same way. We will play to our strengths next season, and will bully a few teams off the park.

It might not be pretty, but that does not mean it is not exciting. What gets us on our feet, a ball down the wing for someone to run onto and in behind, or 10 passes across the back 4?

Edited by highamowl

Stoke have done well but lets be right they won't ever amount to anything, the odd cup final apart, that style of football will probably be outlawed by FIFA somehow! To me they a like the Wednesday side of the mid 80's, they get found out after a while and the support drops due to getting bored of it.

What will anyone ever amount to in the premier league though these days unless you are 1 of Man U, Chelski, Liverpool, Man City or Arsenal?

We will never break the top 4/5 (if we get in the prem) unless we get a very very wealthy new owner. The best anyone can hope for other than the above is the odd cup final and after the 15 years we have just had i'd be well happy with that!