Steve Howard

Guest intercity0wl

Guest highamowl

Stoke have done well but lets be right they won't ever amount to anything, the odd cup final apart, that style of football will probably be outlawed by FIFA somehow! To me they a like the Wednesday side of the mid 80's, they get found out after a while and the support drops due to getting bored of it.

24000 home tickets, 21500 (ish) season ticket holders and looking at extending their ground............Support really dropping off, and its great to say that a club with no debt or arab backer will never amount to anything.

I would love a cup final, and was at their semi, and trust me, I wish we could play like that.

Take the blue and white glasses off and realise where we are, the mess we are still in and why we cant attract the players you want. If megson gets us out playing however, I dont care. Promotion playing direct football, fine with me.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

24000 home tickets, 21500 (ish) season ticket holders and looking at extending their ground............Support really dropping off, and its great to say that a club with no debt or arab backer will never amount to anything.

I would love a cup final, and was at their semi, and trust me, I wish we could play like that.

Take the blue and white glasses off and realise where we are, the mess we are still in and why we cant attract the players you want. If megson gets us out playing however, I dont care. Promotion playing direct football, fine with me.

Good you take your view, I'll take mine, I despise direct football, always have, sorry for that, then again I was brought up on the attacking side of the early 90's there wasn't much hoof ion that and it was far more successful than Stoke will ever be.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

And I did say after a bit, a couple of mediocre seasons, rising prices and the gates will drop, like most clubs that do nothing but survive

word for word, pretty much bang on.

i wish we were poo poo and only getting into the odd cup final, beating the top teams in the premier league etc.

needs must - weve got to play a style that gets us up and out of this league.

Even if he's poo poo the defenders at this level will be scared when they see him and Madine strutting their stuff.

I think he'll be a good signing to maybe get us out of this league.

He may be Ok in this league, hope its not a panic buy though, was hoping for someone younger and hungrier though.

Guest highamowl

And I did say after a bit, a couple of mediocre seasons, rising prices and the gates will drop, like most clubs that do nothing but survive

If Manderic could follow the stoke model we would be a mid table premier league club in a couple of seasons, able to add ten million onto our wage budget each year without getting into debt. Sorry you've picked the wrong example with stoke just because of how they plan. They have a sustainable plan that means that they grow the business each year, spend more money on transfers and wages and remain sustainable.

Surely this is what we aspire to......And my dad pays less for his season ticket at stoke that I do at Wednesday (which hasnt gone up either), so its not really a bad deal is it........

Also, on a side note - since when has watching football been about entertainment?

When I played football, I played to be competitive and I wanted to win.

I follow Wednesday because I want them to win, if I get entertained along the way it's a bonus. Primarily though I want them to win, that's all that matters to me.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

If Manderic could follow the stoke model we would be a mid table premier league club in a couple of seasons, able to add ten million onto our wage budget each year without getting into debt. Sorry you've picked the wrong example with stoke just because of how they plan. They have a sustainable plan that means that they grow the business each year, spend more money on transfers and wages and remain sustainable.

Surely this is what we aspire to......And my dad pays less for his season ticket at stoke that I do at Wednesday (which hasnt gone up either), so its not really a bad deal is it........

Stoke as a business model is fine, as a footballing model no ta, same with Bolton although they have progressed under Coyle to actually retaining possession for more than a split second

It depends on the combination of strikers we bring in, Howard and a pacy player wouldn't be too bad.

Howard is a big horrible b@stard who bullies defenders and we need more strikers like that. But pace either on the wings or beside him are crucial. It may even let Madine do some finishing as he's more than just a target.

Would be a great signing in my opinion. As a player he gives 110% whenever he plays - a horrible player to play against. Not like Mellor who never seems to be arsed when we're away from home.

And if we're looking for two players to fill every position he fits the bill.

Madine/Howard, Morrison/New Player.

Personally, I'd move Morrison on somewhere else if possible (don't think he's the answer playing alongside Howard or Madine), and try and bring in two more forwards.

Also, on a side note - since when has watching football been about entertainment?

When I played football, I played to be competitive and I wanted to win.

I follow Wednesday because I want them to win, if I get entertained along the way it's a bonus. Primarily though I want them to win, that's all that matters to me.

Ideally you want the slick passing and a win but at the end of the day 3pts is the goal. I think you need to have the right players with confidence to play that way and good strikers who are consistent as it leaves you open at the back.

The football we played in the final season under Laws was great to watch at times without always getting the right results due to our strikers and inadequate defence IMO. Then we bottled it and lost the plot.

I'm not sure the types of player we have now suit a 100% passing game either, imagine exposing Rob Jones on the deck!

Guest Cottingham owl

I'd be suprised if we're not looking at him and Billy Paynter.

Both not getting much time on the pitch and both have cracking previous goal scoring records at this level.

I would rather poo down my own throat then sign Billy Paynter, my cousin is a Leeds fan and goes every game and said he's played 101 mins of pre season friendlies and not even hit the target let alone scored. He's that good that now becchio and Somma are out Grayson is looking at a new striker rather then have paynter up front. Howard however would be awesome in this league

Our last two managers wanted to play "attractive" football, and look where that got us! It wasnt "attractive" for the most part it was mind numbingly dull. On Tuesday night at the DVS I saw more commitment and more footballing ability from one player (Prutton) in 90 mins than Ive seen from our central midfield players in the last five years. I saw a left back who knows how to put in the sort of tackle that makes wingers swop sides and who wasnt afraid to get the ball down and play. If this is hoofball then bring it on.

I cant wait to see players making full blooded tackles and not afraid to have the ball at their feet. And if Howards a part of that then so be it.

Can't we just win games on a regular basis first THEN start debating the style in which those wins were achieved?

Steve Howard would be a good player to have around and would make a decent contribution over a long, hard season IMO.

Agreed.

Objective one - get out of this division and its unattractiveness to quality players, and strangling salary cap.

Objective two - make sure objective one is complete.

Edited by bigrbuk

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Agreed.

Objective one - get out of this division and its unattractiveness to quality players, and strangling salary cap.

Although there is no salary cap in place this season