Steve Howard

Guest intercity0wl

Id be pretty happy with that to be fair - i reckon we will end up going one up top unless we can get a Mellor/O grady/Howard type character to play alongside madine.

wouldnt mind a look at that triallist - seems to have done ok, wouldnt be the end of the world if we got someone like that as 4th choice.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Imagine the football, roger me it'll be like watching Wimbledon from the 80's

My eyes will bleed.

We need pacy mobile strikers, had we got Howard and had no Madine i'd have accepted it but to have two lumps to aim at scares me

Imagine the football, roger me it'll be like watching Wimbledon from the 80's

My eyes will bleed.

We need pacy mobile strikers, had we got Howard and had no Madine i'd have accepted it but to have two lumps to aim at scares me

the style of play really doesnt bother me this year. i dont expect it to be pretty i just expect it to be clinical.

signing battering rams like howard is going to get us 15/20 goals in this league, if it means we play like Wimbledon but cruise through this division ill take that.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Is he guaranteed to get 15-20? like Clinton was?

He's 35 and has the moving circle of an arctic, 5 years ago I would have bitten your hands off, now I think he's too old and too liable to pick up knocks.

As for the style of football, I pay £400 for entertainment, I can watch park football for free

Guest highamowl

He's 35 and has the moving circle of an arctic, 5 years ago I would have bitten your hands off, now I think he's too old and too liable to pick up knocks.

As for the style of football, I pay £400 for entertainment, I can watch park football for free

So if we went up being unbeaten at home playing direct football that would not be entertainment???

WE've been linked with someone through another 'rumour', lets not get carried away. And what if Madine gets injured. It might be good ot have another target man in the squad, as we dont want to have to change to a style we are not set up for through not having a replacement.

Guest intercity0wl

Anyone who thinks Steve Howard wouldn't be a good signing needs their head checking

I will make an appointment right away then, cos i think at this level he would be just that.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Depends, if it's scrappy 1-0 wins in freezing cold winter nights when we take an early lead then defend it then no, if it's 5-0 with 5 goals from corners then I could be slightly entertained.

As for us going unbeaten at home, give over, the closest we got to that was under Pleat

two totally different players.

Howard would be great at getting on the end of crosses, high balls and winning headers. I cant see too much coming from attack in the midfield except for JJ so we will need strikers who can win, hold and retain the ball. Thats not morrison. or really Madine.

Kevin Phillips is even older and i would have given my left arm to have him here this season.

as for the entertainment factor - the effort alone would justify the £400 even if it wasnt pretty. especially after the series of "cant be arsed" players we have had (dis)gracing our pitch in the last few games. Megson has built a team of hard workers with a no nonsense style of play - it stands to reason that any other players he signs will compliment that style. Like Howard.

Of course if it was just a case of him coming as cover for Gary Madine then maybe. However, are we that flush with money that we could sign him to sit on the bench? At this stage would he drop a division just to sit on the bench?

I'd have him. He'll help us get out of this league, not be much of a fee, save the cash for buying a proper striker when we get back in the championship, when we can attract better. We do seem to be struggling to get the players we want/need, Howard would be fine for me.

Just wish it was 6 seasons ago, he always seemed to score against us.

Guest Saturday Owl

flip me no We must be down to plan Z

You've said this about every f*cking player we've been linked with.

Who do you really expect us to get you idiot? We are in League One FFS! Eurghh.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

two totally different players.

Howard would be great at getting on the end of crosses, high balls and winning headers. I cant see too much coming from attack in the midfield except for JJ so we will need strikers who can win, hold and retain the ball. Thats not morrison. or really Madine.

Kevin Phillips is even older and i would have given my left arm to have him here this season.

as for the entertainment factor - the effort alone would justify the £400 even if it wasnt pretty. especially after the series of "cant be arsed" players we have had (dis)gracing our pitch in the last few games. Megson has built a team of hard workers with a no nonsense style of play - it stands to reason that any other players he signs will compliment that style. Like Howard.

How many goals did we get from crosses last season? We don't have the players creating the chances to justify another target man.,

Hard work gets you 70% of the way, we need the other 30% of flair coming, Leicester at least had a goal scorer to compliment Howard in Matty Fryatt, not to mention the likes of Dyer, Andy King etc who chipped in with goals, particularly the impressive King

How many goals did we get from crosses last season? We don't have the players creating the chances to justify another target man.,

Hard work gets you 70% of the way, we need the other 30% of flair coming, Leicester at least had a goal scorer to compliment Howard in Matty Fryatt, not to mention the likes of Dyer, Andy King etc who chipped in with goals, particularly the impressive King

havent we scored almost all our pre season goals from corners? :mellow:

Depends, if it's scrappy 1-0 wins in freezing cold winter nights when we take an early lead then defend it then no, if it's 5-0 with 5 goals from corners then I could be slightly entertained.

As for us going unbeaten at home, give over, the closest we got to that was under Pleat

:huh: for real?