Work on the Stadium

I imagine if we had solar panels on every stand, then the money it generates all year round would probably not quite cancel out the cost of powering the undersoil heating during the winter!

I'm not saying it's not a good idea though. The power bill for Hillsborough must be massive.

I imagine if we had solar panels on every stand, then the money it generates all year round would probably not quite cancel out the cost of powering the undersoil heating during the winter!

I'm not saying it's not a good idea though. The power bill for Hillsborough must be massive.

Or maybe just install Solar-water heaters in the place of some Photovoltaics, no need to heat the water up as it already is hot!

In all seriousness though the south stand is absolutely perfect for this type of technology, the solar shading that's already there (above the entrance at roof level) is perfect to be converted to PV's and solar water heaters. Very little outlay in the grand scheme of things, would probably have many grants available too (I say probably as it's a business and not a home, so I'm unsure) as the Electric generated would be very high and perhaps even generate a surplus on non-matchdays.

Or maybe just install Solar-water heaters in the place of some Photovoltaics, no need to heat the water up as it already is hot!

In all seriousness though the south stand is absolutely perfect for this type of technology, the solar shading that's already there (above the entrance at roof level) is perfect to be converted to PV's and solar water heaters. Very little outlay in the grand scheme of things, would probably have many grants available too (I say probably as it's a business and not a home, so I'm unsure) as the Electric generated would be very high and perhaps even generate a surplus on non-matchdays.

Businesses with less than 250 employees used to be able to get govt loans for solar where you only paid back at the rate at which you were saving money. I've always thought stadiums would be perfect for solar. At Hillsborough, the North Stand roof faces south, as does 2/3 of the South Stand roof. Covering all that with solar panels would surely make the club a few quid - particularly in the summer when the only things being powered are a few offices

Seems like a no brainer in that case then doesn't it Durham. lol

Like you say though stadiums are perfect for this kind of solution, it makes you wonder why it hasn't been done before and especially in the new ones such as emirates and brighton.

I was in hillsborough park the other day looking towards the south stand. For some reason the roof above the entrance looked different, probably the angle I was looking at it from, but it got me thinking about solar panels etc and how they could work.

Looks like the new thought harvester Milan has funded is paying off already.

Solar panels are useless.

They cost a fortune, and it takes decades to recoup the initial layout in saved energy bills...if ever. They only have a lifetime of 30-40 years.

Bit like wind turbines which are around 13% efficient

but don't tell Greenpeace