Best Ever Away Trips

Guest Big Guns

all the away days of the early 90s when we used to get picked up from the ball at ecco on croftys coach ,used to get that pissed theyve all merged into one drunken memory happy flippingdays

2-0 Victory at Anfield in 1984 when Liverpool were European champions and the best team in England by miles, Varadi scoring the first in front of the Wednesday fans Shelton scoring in front of the Kop in the 2nd half, no other away league match victory I've been to has ever felt better (Found it on you tube recently).

Three matches I will forever regret not going to.

Boxing day 1979.

Blackburn away 1980 (Had the chance to go with a trip from school and declined). : (

Play-off final 2005.

Edit: Just looked up at my ticket wall :biggrin: and remembered Burnley away when Clarke and Tudgay got a couple each, brilliant day out in an utter poo hole. Best one from this season has been MK Dons.

Im same as you mate ... only 18 so never really seen any of the good times ... but that 4-2 win against Burnleystands out for me to be honest, proper quality + it was my first away game with my now regular away game mate ... Brilliant !

a few stick in my mind.

blackburn 1980 2-1 victory. simply the best night out ever, thinking about the noise as we left the ground and walking throught the streets of blackburn still makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

shrewsbury 1984 1-0 victory, bannisters header in the last couple of minutes had the ground rocking.

man utd new years days 1985 2-1 victory, first trip to old trafford and varadis bullet header weith 10 mins to go had me and my brother jumping up and down in the man utd stand.

liverpool 1984 2-0 victory, my first trip to anfield with varadi and shelton getting the 2 goals, we had to sit on the steps as wednesday tickets had been double booked.

pre season tour of the usa a few years ago, cannot remember that much of the football as i was constantly drunk.

Notts County away in 91 just after we had beaten Chelsea in the semi-final to get to Wembley. Got to the Aviary about 11.30am on Trent Bridge which then got busier and busier with Wednesday fans. Flags all over the pub Wednesday fans singing. The coppers came in to see what the bother was and just shook their heads and left. There were thousands of Owls all over the ground who witnessed a good 2-0 win.

Remember that game fondly after the euphoria of getting to Wembley. The club took some photos of the crowded away terrace that day which were used as the cover for the 'Its a praise for Sheffield Wednesday' single. Me and my mates are on there - my only claim to fame !

2-0 Victory at Anfield in 1984 when Liverpool were European champions and the best team in England by miles, Varadi scoring the first in front of the Wednesday fans Shelton scoring in front of the Kop in the 2nd half, no other away league match victory I've been to has ever felt better (Found it on you tube recently).

Brilliant day crammed into the corner they were expecting to hammer us and we played them off the park. Coach was bricked leaving Liverpool going home but what a day out. Must say there were so many totally fantastic away games in that era its hard to choose the best.

I've seen some dross away days as a relatively young one, but I enjoyed going down to Ashton Gate a few years back when we beat them twice in consecutive seasons (Where Brunt tw*tted the ball into the crowd and knocked a fan out).

Barnsley a few years back too when we spanked em and Bougherra had a cracking game.

Oh and don't forget Away @ Bumhole Lane when we did the double..

semi.final at villa park 66.............leeds away 1-3 in 68 ..........arsenal at filbert st 3-3 in 79 .......... winning at liverpool and man utd in 84-85 .......

All these. In fact all the games up to the 66 final as every one was away. Winning at the piggery in 69 1-0 John Ritchie and we were all on the shoreham to rub salt into the wound. The Blackburn game when we were promoted 1980. The Cardiff game 1983/4, we took over Cardiff that day can you believe it. The wins at Old Trafford and Liverpool in the 80's. Never seen em win at Arsenal though, but should have in the first FA Cup replay 1979 I think, they equalised in the 5th minute of injury time and we then had to play another 3 replays at Filbert Street.

Guest East_Dene_Owl

Swindon away in 79/80 Promotion season is a game that sticks in my mind.

We won 2-1 and it was on Match of Day and for the first time ever I realised I was going to see Wednesday win promotion..

Southampton away (when Di Canio scored that goal I think)

The whole day was fantastic finished off by running out of diesel just short of Leicester Forest services at 2.00am on the way from a long stop off in Banbury.

We had to wake everyone up to push the bus down the hill (M1 hard shoulder) and into the services.

While we were waiting for the AA (the pump had to be bled) two of the Grumbleweeds came in for fuel in an E reg Rover to be met with, "You're worse than Sheff Utd", "Where's your series gone?", "You're not funny anymore" and "poo poo car, no fans".

There was a straggler on the bus who we picked up in Southampton.

He couldn't be woken until we got back to Sheffield.

The bus had a terrible smell all the way home but this is pretty normal on such days.

It stank a lot worse as the straggler got up to get off the bus.

He had shat in his white Henry Lloyd jeans and been sat in it all the way back.

Top day out.

Got arrested for running on the pitch when Di Canio scored.

We went to Ipswich about 1988 and then straight to Yarmouth for the night.

Went round the pubs , in a night club and finished off with an indian.

Then we slept in the minibus and set off back about 6.a.m. - Now that did fookin' stink!

1. Vs pigs at Bum hole stain. Won 2-1 .90 years of waiting for the double

2. Vs Leicester won 3-1. That game had everything. Highs and Lows

3. Vs Bristol City 1-1. Beach party

4. Vs Cardiff lost 3-1. So much support even though we were on the verge of going down

5 vs Birmingham lost 3-0. What an buzz it was been with all those Wednesdayites

6 vs Notts County won 2-0. As above.

2. Vs Leicester won 3-1. That game had everything. Highs and Lows

3. Vs Bristol City 1-1. Beach party

4. Vs Cardiff lost 3-1. So much support even though we were on the verge of going down

5 vs Birmingham lost 3-0. What an buzz it was been with all those Wednesdayites

6 vs Notts County won 2-0. As above.

Was at all these, and they were all quality ... also Leicester when we lost 3-0 and Laws was sacked. Always stands out as one of the best atmosphere's even the Leicester fans applauded us after match :biggrin:

West Brom - 2 goals in last 2 mins.

I went to this game in 91 I think it was Francis who scored the winner deep into injury time , the Wednesday fans were amazing that game, other great away games Blackburn away 4-2 Liverpool away 2-0 , I enjoyed mk dons this season 4-1

I went to this game in 91 I think it was Francis who scored the winner deep into injury time , the Wednesday fans were amazing that game, other great away games Blackburn away 4-2 Liverpool away 2-0 , I enjoyed mk dons this season 4-1

The best I have ever seen us play.

Remember coming out laughing at the Blackburn fans after as they waved imaginary cheque books at us.

Fun and games in Darwen after.

Guest valley owl 2000

The list could go on but the one that springs to mind

is Newcastle away promotion season Gary sheltons

overhead kick was special