Irvine, Not as bad as people think

His tactics remind of something mourinho would do (bar the 4 straight losses)

Set the team a job to do, work on it, find out what we're up against, then defend a lead (in most cases)

You saw mourinho do that to win the champions league final, got the goals then held the fortress.

Barca battered Inter for an hour, yet looked what happened.

Cannot in any right mind compare Irvine and Mourinho id be killed :laugh:

What im trying to say is, negative or positive tactics he's getting the job done, and i believe he will lead us to promotion.

Im guna get a lot of stick for this but i believe some people need to give him a chance

We're fourth in the league FFS and people want him out, i can't see how that would be good.

UTO FTB WTID

That's one way to look at it. You might be right and I hope you are because 1) I want out of this division, and 2) I like Irvine.

But I'm leaning towards the theory that we're winning games in spite of the restraints placed on our players by Irvine's negative tactics. Plus, even if we do get promoted I feel like we'd get absolutely raped in the Championship next season.

I really want to be wrong about Irvine but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried.

Guest chris_owl

don't worry mr owl i've thought the same.

i also compare him with moyes at everton.

Someone on another thread made the point that most of the premiership teams don't play good football,

its the way football is going. defend well and do what you can at the other end.

That's one way to look at it. You might be right and I hope you are because 1) I want out of this division, and 2) I like Irvine.

But I'm leaning towards the theory that we're winning games in spite of the restraints placed on our players by Irvine's negative tactics. Plus, even if we do get promoted I feel like we'd get absolutely raped in the Championship next season.

I really want to be wrong about Irvine but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried.

Yeah we probably wudnt stand much chance playing as we are in championship but if/when we do get there we'll worry about it then.

But at the moment we're winning games and everyone should be happy to be a wednesdayite at the minute, with the wins and the forthcoming investment (hopefully)

WTID

Guest Triplej2

Yeah we probably wudnt stand much chance playing as we are in championship but if/when we do get there we'll worry about it then.

But at the moment we're winning games and everyone should be happy to be a wednesdayite at the minute, with the wins and the forthcoming investment (hopefully)

WTID

We won't get automatic this season, we're not good enough. Play offs are possible but nothing's guaranteed even if we get there. NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

he'll get crucified in the championship, can anyone hand on heart say they don't think he'll be sacked before Xmas which would then put us back in another relegation battle. Better to take the hit now in a league where we have a bit of room to maneuver.

I have said it before, and I will say it again.

Irvine is good enough for the first, and the champ.

He won't win many fans along the way, but he'll do ok while we run his contract down and get someone better.

Truth is, we can't afford to get rid of him, nor should we try whilst we are a stones throw from the top 6 in this division.

I still detest the football we play at the moment.

the way i see it is this......

How many times have we moaned at the pigs for them complaining that they want their manager out when they sat in the top 6 getting results?!

Now the shoe is on the other foot and we are doing the same bloody thing!!!

The shoe should be in the chuffin' air. :biggrin:

Guest Distraught!

Mourihno would change a side after 15 mins if he saw it wasn't working...when have you ever seen IA change a formation unless it was the last throw of the dice?

many, many times!

Shame Ian Atkins has never managed Wednesday though! :happy:

His tactics remind of something mourinho would do (bar the 4 straight losses)

Set the team a job to do, work on it, find out what we're up against, then defend a lead (in most cases)

You saw mourinho do that to win the champions league final, got the goals then held the fortress.

Barca battered Inter for an hour, yet looked what happened.

Cannot in any right mind compare Irvine and Mourinho id be killed :laugh:

What im trying to say is, negative or positive tactics he's getting the job done, and i believe he will lead us to promotion.

Im guna get a lot of stick for this but i believe some people need to give him a chance

We're fourth in the league FFS and people want him out, i can't see how that would be good.

UTO FTB WTID

There's a slight difference between using dour defensive tactics to stifle the best team in the world when defending a first leg lead away from home (it was the semi-final, not the final), and using them at home to Leyton Orient.

The biggest difference between Irvine and other renowned negative managers (George Graham for example) is that apart from defending well, they actually have an idea what to do when they're in possession - our team look absolutely clueless in this department. Perhaps Irvine should use some of the time spent analysing and filling our players heads with fear about the opposition, he should be working on what we should do when we have the ball.

In keeping with this ridiculous analogy - Jose knows when he needs to stifle another team - when he needs to smother a game and he knows how to do it - think his many games against Barca for both Chelsea and Inter - for Porto against Man U.

He also knows when his players are superior to the other team and when he can attack them and smash them to bits - think the Chelsea games against weaker opponents and his results for Madrid this season.

If he were in charge of Wednesday you can guarantee he'd not be looking to "weather storms" at Yeovil or be worried about the threat posed by Orient when he has CLEARLY superior players at his disposal