Irvine, Not as bad as people think

You only have to look at yesterdays match Blackpool V Man city to know you don't have to play well to win. For 71 minutes yesterday Man City were abysmal, Blackpool were excellent but couldn't gain a big enough advantage in terms of goals (they certainly has plenty of opportunity). Our wins have not been dissimilar, not played well and coming away wondering how the hell did we win that.. Does it really matter so long as the end result takes us where we want to be.

I have said it before, and I will say it again.

Irvine is good enough for the first, and the champ.

He won't win many fans along the way, but he'll do ok while we run his contract down and get someone better.

Truth is, we can't afford to get rid of him, nor should we try whilst we are a stones throw from the top 6 in this division.

I still detest the football we play at the moment.

erm...football?

You only have to look at yesterdays match Blackpool V Man city to know you don't have to play well to win. For 71 minutes yesterday Man City were abysmal, Blackpool were excellent but couldn't gain a big enough advantage in terms of goals (they certainly has plenty of opportunity). Our wins have not been dissimilar, not played well and coming away wondering how the hell did we win that.. Does it really matter so long as the end result takes us where we want to be.

The end result took us down to League 1- I would suggest this is not where 'we' want to be.

"Who needs Mourinho, we've got Irvine-o"

Seriously how the **** can anyone compare Mourinho's tactics with Irvines???

Never heard owt so flipping stupid.

If you read it im stating im not comparing the two.

but theres similarities (kind of)

everyone moaning about how defensive we are, when thats how mourinho mostly works albeit with better players all round.

If you read it im stating im not comparing the two.

but theres similarities (kind of)

everyone moaning about how defensive we are, when thats how mourinho mostly works albeit with better players all round.

JM has won multiple Champions Leagues, domestic titles in 3 countries and a plethora of other trophies.

Alan Irvine has achieved one thing of note in his managerial career - relegating Sheffield Wednesday.

So even you were to argue that they use similar tactics, the main difference is that for JM those tactics win matches and for AI they lose matches.

People are going a bit overboard with the Jose comparison (the OP did admit that he wasnt trying to realistically compare them fully) and as usual the anti Irvine feeling goes that step too far too.

I think that there are clearly problems on the creativity side, but we have been very impressive defensively, we can argue the throw all we want, but we are fourth in the league so he is delivering the results at the moment.

I understand that there is a fine balance between winning and losing at the moment, which is the worrying thing. On our bad run we'd be unlucky enough to concede first whilst our good results come when we score first. I personally think that with Miller, Coke, JJ and Teale in the midfield we can become more dynamic and comfortable in attacking and once settled start to really push on. Irvine has a few injury/ suspension issues at the moment but I think his "efficient" style can be more effective with that midfield, the only question being will he drop JOC and Potter as a pairing when they are fit?

Edited by Bluesteel