DEFENSIVE FOOTBALL

In regards to Palace, they won 3 on the spin straight after going into admin.... they only lost once in their last 7..... they had a good run in the FA cup and ultimately stayed in the league...

Thats a an excellent instant response and the overall outcome wasn't bad either. Had they not got docked the 10 our spineless lot would have been LONG gone.... therefore I think i have a valid point.

Ah, well you see Crystal Palace had a very, very good manager with a proven track record of getting teams promoted - 5 so far, 6 if QPR carry on their version of our HMS PTL. During the interview period, I mentioned to Lee that we surely can't be looking any further than Neil Warnock - on here, on Facebook and in person in the Sheridan Suite. Lee replied in person "*laugh*, I will be bringing a high calibre manager through the doors here, not rubbish like that". Exact words.

Just look at the manager suggestion that I got laughed at... top of the Championship. Look at the manager we appointed... bottom half of League One. 'Nuff said really.

I understand Lee's point re the effect of the administration threat on performances, but I'm not stupid enough to believe we were particularly great pre-Brentford. D&R started off like rabbits in headlights on their big occassion, then dominated the second half. How we beat Brighton I'm still not sure of. 5 goals from 4 shots against Hartlepool said it all. I didn't go to Colchester, so would rather not comment on that game. What I'm saying is, we didn't exactly look great in those games pre-Brentford, and now we've been found out, Mr Plan A Hoofball No Plan B hasn't got a clue what to do, not a scooby.

Posts like what I've read from the ex-chairman, further strengthen my view that his campaign against the stooges is as much to do with his own personal vendetta as it is with helping the club out.

Trying to take away responsibility from AI is simply laughable and merely serves to highlight that the man has no impartiality when it comes to his role in the club.

Guest gringo69

You should stick to the politics, because trying to spin events on the pitch is slightly harder - largely due to the fact that we can see that poo poo with our own eyes.

Exactly, 450 minutes of repetitive poop on the bounce, even the moderates are beginning to ask questions.

I am with Lee , I have full faith that once the finances are sorted our tactical genius will have us rising us the league like Wayne Rooney up a hooker.

Clearly Dougal Irvine has proved in his tenure that he can prepare teams to play attacking , succesful football as was proved in the 12 min spell against Hartlepool ( Please note for these 12 mins players were beiong paid and were happy as the coach and pizza were on time)

To be honest, the football has never been that great. But I did get the sense that we were creating more and "getting to know each other as a side" culminating with the thumping of Pools followed by some nice slick football against Notts County. Then against Brentford we were a shadow of that.

I dont think what Lee is saying should be disregarded, SWFC is obviously a bad place to be right now and that added with additional pressure from an apathetic fanbase. But Irvine and co are certainly not blameless, its been possible to blame the board squarely in the past but this season has raised questions.

Guest Sheff Owl

Alan please do us all a favour/well most and flip OFF!!

You have turned us into a flipping joke.

We don't create, score, have no pace, have one plan and have NO flipping IDEAS!

wee wee off before you relegate us AGAIN!!!

I like a laugh Lee but thats low. For all you know it could have been a remark about Howard and his apparant opinion on futility of protest - it was more a reflection on where we are. It wasn't an attack or a snide comment at all, frankly I don't really care about you that much. And you're still doing that thing by calling me by my real name. Boring.

Fans are on an independent site discussing the manager and players and are just peeved off - Owlstalk gives us that forum to do so.

You're the one stirring things up by chastising fans, calling them morons and asking us to do things we have no real substance to do.

Your campaign to oust the board appears to have waned so you're back attacking posters of the ilk of Bruce Lee and DJ Mortimer which seems to tally with a couple of other Owlstalk long-timers who are tired of your petulance.

Agreed.

And you can add me to that list having been one of Lee's biggest fans. Your conduct and attitude on this thread is a joke and you are doing yourself no favours Lee.

Being shafted by the board is no excuse for poor displays....we've been continually shafted by them for fookin' donkeys years but the fans still turn up. And it took until the last 20 minutes of last nights game for AI to finally ditch the poo tactics we've endured since last season.

This isn't about attacking anyone it simply stating the obvious and our expectations with regard those who should be operating above the cr@p that is going on at board level.

They're not going to fookin' starve are they....

Edited by Freshfish

Guest Triplej2

You were also told that the players and staff were told the week before the brentford game that we are in fact in the poo poo.

You have just heard Howard confirm that very fact with his statement of "If I went we would be in admin next week".

What is our reaction to all this???? Attack the staff and players.

I have said it before and I will say it again, in this sad and all to often disgraceful series of events this past nearly 20 years we were the victims and now we have become the abuser. Apathy has turned into pure poison now (directed at players, staff and even other fans that try to effect change) and a frieghteningly large amount of us just do not deserve an honest well run football club.

The best squad in the league was top of the league before the very real, and nowt to do with the bloody players and staff, issue blew everything up.

I am embarrassed by the lack of humility and reason so many of us are demonstrating despite the full picture being right infront of our eyes.

Keep on slaughtering the people who were doing their jobs properly and letting those of the hook that screwed it all up, cause you know that's really helping guys.

Regards

Lee

It's this staggering level of denial and inability to admit you're wrong that drives me mad!

We were sh*te last season and got relegated with sh*t negative tactic-less football. He had 26 games and f*cked up by being scared of every other team. The lack of passion and application against most of those teams was nothing short of scandalous.

Pre-season, truly dreadful, worse than last season. Tactics from the Sunday leagues.

This season, truly dreadful, One freak result against Hartlepool and a couple of good halves against tin pot 3rd division fare.

Alan Irvine got us f*cking relegated and it wouldn't suprise me if it happened again.

CLUELESS, USELESS, DELUDED, UNABLE TO ADMIT HIS MISTAKES, DOUR, BORING, HAS FAVOURITES, TALKS B*LLOCKS.

This ridiculous denial of irvine's sh*tness is just another reason why i'm glad it never worked out for you.

Guest Triplej2

Being shafted by the board is no excuse for poor displays....we've been continually shafted by them for fookin' donkeys years but the fans still turn up. And it took until the last 20 minutes of last nights game for AI to finally ditch the poo tactics we've endured since last season.

This isn't about attacking anyone it simply stating the obvious and our expectations with regard those who should be operating above the cr@p that is going on at board level.

They're not going to fookin' starve are they....

They weren't being shafted last season though were they? What was the excuse for mind numbing relegation football then?

You are lying - I have read every single one of your post this past year or so and you earned your way onto my watch list a long time ago.

Regards

Lee

:biggrin:

You've read EVERY SINGLE one of Beholder's posts?

Seriously fella, you talked about the strains being SWFC Chairman had on your marriage, yet you sit and stalk every post on Owlstalk to create a 'watch list' and then read all their posts to try to confirm they are a Board plant or something?

You need to sort your life - and priorities - out pal!

I did not find it funny reading your shitty posts towards me this past year or so.

&

The rest of the flounce is so generic that its pathetic, but mostly I find the claim that HW & NP have pulled the rug from under my feet as very interesting. Gives you away completely.

Regards

Lee

So. . .HW is now one of the bad guys :rolleyes:

You were also told that the players and staff were told the week before the brentford game that we are in fact in the poo poo.

You have just heard Howard confirm that very fact with his statement of "If I went we would be in admin next week".

What is our reaction to all this???? Attack the staff and players.

I have said it before and I will say it again, in this sad and all to often disgraceful series of events this past nearly 20 years we were the victims and now we have become the abuser. Apathy has turned into pure poison now (directed at players, staff and even other fans that try to effect change) and a frieghteningly large amount of us just do not deserve an honest well run football club.

The best squad in the league was top of the league before the very real, and nowt to do with the bloody players and staff, issue blew everything up.

I am embarrassed by the lack of humility and reason so many of us are demonstrating despite the full picture being right infront of our eyes.

Keep on slaughtering the people who were doing their jobs properly and letting those of the hook that screwed it all up, cause you know that's really helping guys.

Regards

Lee

This same pattern emerged a few times under Irvine with us. 10 games where we'd be imperious and 10 games where we couldnt buy a draw, let alone a win. About 5 or 6 times throughout his short reign we lurched from sustained periods of guaranteed automatic promotion form to guaranteed relegation.

This same pattern emerged a few times under Irvine with us. 10 games where we'd be imperious and 10 games where we couldnt buy a draw, let alone a win. About 5 or 6 times throughout his short reign we lurched from sustained periods of guaranteed automatic promotion form to guaranteed relegation.

Ten games? You mean we're only half way through it?

Guest becauseofboxingday

As I am sure DJ Mortimer will testify due to our regular on-line jousting I have always defended Alan Irvine up to this point.

I still think he has had a very difficult job in that he was appointed to rescue a sinking ship that needed an awful lot of holes filling. Even in pre-season he was limited to only being able to get free transfers. Also I think that we are nowhere near as bad as most fans seem to think at the moment. Yes the football is dreadful and we are on a bad run but we are tight at the back. At times in the previous 10 years the football has been just about as bad but the opposition have also looked like scoring every time they have attacked, that is no longer the case.

I am a keen gambler and when looking for a team that I believe will turn their fortunes around, the number one criteria I have is having a good defensive record. This theory usually serves me well.

Having said all of that I would be absolutely delighted if we could replace Alan Irvine. This was really summed up for me on Saturday. At half time I was late retaking my seat due to finishing a pint. As I went back to my seat I saw two lads sat on a table in the concourse of the Grandstand. They were probably about 8 and 10 years old and they had some pens from the bookies and were drawing on napkins. So dire and so boring is our football that they had probably begged their Dad to stay below and draw instead of going up to watch the game. I know it may seem strange but it really was a poignant moment for me and quite frankly it thoroughly depressed me.

This club has been an absolute shambles the past 10 years. Boardroom upheaval, manager after manager, financial crisis to financial crisis. The very least any manager can do is play attacking football on the deck that actually entertains us. I want to be entertained! Going to Hillsborough is boring! I dread going and only do it out of habit and to see friends that otherwise I would rarely see!

Please, please do not play centre halves at full back! Play Jones and Otsemobor. Put Miller with Coke in the middle. Put Tudgay out wide in addition to two other strikers. We may at least see some goal mouth action!

I'll still be there at Notts County on Saturday because I can't help it. I want to see Wednesday take thousands of fans and I know that we will probably be the loudest most passionate fans Notts County have ever seen. That will give me enormous pride and probably make me feel a bit better about things. But FFS, have a bloody go at them, attack them, get the crowd behind you and see where it takes you. It can't do any worse than the current bloody tactics.

Bullshit.

&

The vast majority of Preston fans said quite the opposite and this was evidenced by the reception Alan got at deepadale.

But you are obviously in sync with the morons at Preston - every club has em you know.

Regards

Lee

If Irvine came back now hed get slaughtered, and thats with his successor having been mostly pants as well. But the Winding up order and subsequent revealing of the finances we've had has made most people see the light.

He created a squad at Preston devoid of passion, pace, youthfulness, depth and creativity, and mortgaged our future to do it. £5m on transfer fees, £12m wage bill for a £9m turnover company. added £15m debt. We gambled on Irvine, and that was unforgivable by our board, but that doesnt make Irvines failure less.

So Lee says the manager and players have "gave up" pre Brentford. Really? If AI has given up it confirms one thing - he has no personal or professional pride or self respect and should never have been appointed. It's ridiculous to blame ever thing on possible admin.

Lee, you're losing serious amounts of credability on here.

How do you explain Irvine picking a failed midfield partnership of Potter and O'Conor???? How do you explain Irvine playing players out of position???? How do you explain blatantly negative tactics????

There's so many examples of situations which Irvine can control which have NOTHING to do with off the field problems that to blame it all on politics is complete gonads.

Out of interest when Palace, Portsmouth etc went into admin how many first team players at those clubs were out of work afterwards?? I'd bet they are all still in employment. Don't football "debts" get priority as well.