DEFENSIVE FOOTBALL

Just thought I'd look up the statistics on Wednesday's goal attempts and see how they compare with other teams in the division to see if it backs up our collective opinion that we are too defensive. Looking up games one at a time is a painstaking business so I decided to restrict it to just the top and bottom three teams. Only 5 teams in League One have scored fewer goals than us, and two of them have beaten us in the last couple of weeks.

TOTAL GOAL ATTEMPTS / OF WHICH, ON TARGET

Brighton...................112/63

Bournemouth............85/43

Carlisle....................102/56

Walsall.....................78/40

Dag & Redbridge......116/55

Brentford.................103/49

WEDNESDAY............72/37

I wonder if we really are the team that carries least threat?

Edited by DJMortimer

DJ out of interest, do you know exactly where we sit in the division, if position were based on goal attempts? From what you are saying I suspect it would be bottom, which to me speaks volumes. :blink:

I was getting the statistics by looking up each team's games on their official site, one at a time. It takes a while and I didn't have the appetite for doing all 24 teams. So I figured the top three and bottom three was a reasonable starting point.

I was getting the statistics by looking up each team's games on their official site, one at a time. It takes a while and I didn't have the appetite for doing all 24 teams. So I figured the top three and bottom three was a reasonable starting point.

I stated this was the problem before the Southampton match - in reply to Strafford stating that we had played some of the most attractive attacking football he had seen us play in years?????? and things have certainly not improved in this front in the two games since. You can get an overview of the shots on and off target for the whole of the division on the football league's official website, it doesn't make good reading.

Very interesting work by DJM.

We were told by the former Chairman that if you had the highest wage bill in the division you would be at the top.

We are living proof that this is nonsense as was the rise of Wimbledon to near the top of the premier league.

On the other hand shots on target seems a far better guide to league position

Guest Distraught!

I wonder if there are statistics for the length of time the ball is in the air....

The ball used in games involving Wednesday are soon to be fitted with black box flight recorders! :ph34r:

It's not the defensive football that's the problem but how we play. You can't hoof the ball from the back or cross the ball from the wings and expect to score a lot of goals. You might get lucky occasionally, but most of the time you're on to a loser and the ball comes straight back at you. Long ball teams of the past like Arsenal and Wimbledon used to spoz 1-0 wins but as their fans admit, they were bloody terrible.

Our biggest problems are:

We don't know how to make space for ourselves.

We don't know how to stretch teams.

We can't pick up the flight of the ball or anticipate where the ball is going to be.

We don't know how to get in front of defenders or how to move towards the ball.

We don't know how to mark players.

We don't know how to take up good positions.

We continually just launch the ball and hope.

Even I can see what's wrong so why can't anyone at the club? I could go on, but what's the point since the people who have the authority (not ability) to change things don't listen.

Very interesting work by DJM.

We were told by the former Chairman that if you had the highest wage bill in the division you would be at the top.

We are living proof that this is nonsense as was the rise of Wimbledon to near the top of the premier league.

On the other hand shots on target seems a far better guide to league position

You were also told that the players and staff were told the week before the brentford game that we are in fact in the poo poo.

You have just heard Howard confirm that very fact with his statement of "If I went we would be in admin next week".

What is our reaction to all this???? Attack the staff and players.

I have said it before and I will say it again, in this sad and all to often disgraceful series of events this past nearly 20 years we were the victims and now we have become the abuser. Apathy has turned into pure poison now (directed at players, staff and even other fans that try to effect change) and a frieghteningly large amount of us just do not deserve an honest well run football club.

The best squad in the league was top of the league before the very real, and nowt to do with the bloody players and staff, issue blew everything up.

I am embarrassed by the lack of humility and reason so many of us are demonstrating despite the full picture being right infront of our eyes.

Keep on slaughtering the people who were doing their jobs properly and letting those of the hook that screwed it all up, cause you know that's really helping guys.

Regards

Lee

Edited by Lee Strafford

You were also told that the players and staff were told the week before the brentford game that we are in fact in the poo poo.

You have just heard Howard confirm that very fact with his statement of "If I went we would be in admin next week".

I have said it before and I will say it again, in this sad and all to often disgraceful series of events this past nearly 20 years we were the victims and now we have become the abuser. Apathy has turned into pure poison now (directed at players, staff and even other fans that try to effect change) and a frieghteningly large amount of us just do not deserve an honest well run football club.

The best squad in the league was top of the league before the very real, and nowt to do with the bloody players and staff, issue blew everything up.

I am embarrassed by the lack of humility and reason so many of us are demonstrating despite the full picture being right infront of our eyes.

Keep on slaughtering the people who were doing their jobs properly and letting those of the hook that screwed it all up, cause you know that's really helping guys.

Regards

Lee

Lee

It's very difficult for those of us on the outside to understand how the financial problems (significant as they are) can be a valid excuse for professional footballers playing as they currently are and by the same token, that the manager can be absolved from blame.

It seems like a very convenient excuse for a poor manerial appointment and people who are in fact, not doing their jobs properly - quite the reverse!

Regards

Lee

We played the same way though, and we nicked the odd goal to win these games (barring the freak result at hartlepool when we had 4 shots and scored 5!)....

it was a fine line between 3 points and naff all.... now we're seeing the flip side.

Easy to blame the scenario behind the scenes but haven't the co-op100% guaranteed to pay all staff on time regardless? Why should it be a problem, these are experienced professional footballers... the same financial situation didn't stop the Palace players last season did it.

The overall frustration in the stands is no doubt multiplied by the constant takeover talk and the fact we've had our name dragged through the mud recently.... but Irvine MUST take responsibilty for the performances... after all,,,, like you say.... he has the best squad in the league at his disposal.... and we just picked up 1 point out of 15.

I'm not attacking the players and manager... im not spreading poison... im just being honest.

It's horrific.

We played the same way though, and we nicked the odd goal to win these games (barring the freak result at hartlepool when we had 4 shots and scored 5!)....

it was a fine line between 3 points and naff all.... now we're seeing the flip side.

Easy to blame the scenario behind the scenes but haven't the co-op100% guaranteed to pay all staff on time regardless? Why should it be a problem, these are experienced professional footballers... the same financial situation didn't stop the Palace players last season did it.

The overall frustration in the stands is no doubt multiplied by the constant takeover talk and the fact we've had our name dragged through the mud recently.... but Irvine MUST take responsibilty for the performances... after all,,,, like you say.... he has the best squad in the league at his disposal.... and we just picked up 1 point out of 15.

I'm not attacking the players and manager... im not spreading poison... im just being honest.

It's horrific.

Instead of arguing with me without even thinking go look at palaces points per game before and during admin.

You will then realise how wrong you are - god only hopes that the rest of the grown ups acting no different than that moron screaming "but teale has got a bentley" will wake up too.

One last time - Stop being flippingstupid!!!!!!!!!!! Pre brentford was for us the same event as when palace and Portsmouth went into admin. Ignore this and keep behaving like so many of us are now and we will be proper fooked as we will not pull our club out of admin and we will not work with any new owner.

Stop throwing poo poo arround about the quality of play as we were all gonna be unhappy until we were watching Hirst sheridan and waddle again - the issue is that the players collectively are not applying themselves the way they were before the poo poo hit the fan and that lost the games and now there is a confidence problem and our reaction is to hammer them when they were not the ones that fooked it all up.

I am telling you this from a position of knowledge and having the inside track at all levels of the club (and bang upto date).

No we do not get to claim that we are ignorant of off field matters effecting on field as that is the whole flipping story of what fooked up our club and we have all seen so many other clubs go the same way.

FFS - man up and be proper Yorkshire not the poisonous poo I have been watching this past few weeks. Support the staff and players and make sure that change is effected at the top of our club. Our energies should be focused at demanding that new owners are fast tracked in (not held back by unreasonable demands) and that in the absence of this a new regime is in place to take us through and out of admin.

Regards

Lee

Lee Ive generally been in agreement with you and agree with some of what you are saying.

But last night broke my heart. Ive been watching Wednesday 45 years, and in all that time Ive seen some really poor teams. But I have never felt like I did last night. It was like watching a loved family member finally pass away. The football is just so poor, the opposition keeper hasnt had a save to make in the last two games and we dont look capable of creating anything.

The board of directors are an absolute disgrace, and I agree wholeheartedly they have to go. But I feel totally helpless in making that happen

Last night was the final straw for me. They (the board) have finally broken my spirit. I just cant be part of this anymore. I feel like crying writing this. They have destroyed somrthing thats been the biggest part of life.

I just cant see any light at the tunnels end anymore. The only way to get them out is by leaving them as the only people sat in the ground. I just refuse to hand over anymore cash to keep them in prawn sandwiches and free parking plces.

ITS TIME TO GO. AND IM NOT GOING TO BE AROUND UNTIL YOU DO.

Interesting. We've had 1/3 less shots than bloody dag & red with our attacking players, unbelieveable.

Its not that unbelievable. For our strikers to be able to shoot at goal we have to get the ball to their feet, in or around the box. It doesnt matter how good they are if we don't do this.

And therein lies the problem.

Its not that unbelievable. For our strikers to be able to shoot at goal we have to get the ball to their feet, in or around the box. It doesnt matter how good they are if we don't do this.

And therein lies the problem.

Stop debating the style of play!!!!!!!!!

We are in virtual admin right now and could be in the real thing any day now!!!!!!!!!!

FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Lee