FTAO LEE STRAFFORD

I'm not particularly surprised by your findings mate, Hillsborough lost its atmosphere quite a long time ago.

Not that having an intimidating ground guarentees success- last season we had the best home defensive record in the championship, and probably the lowest level of noise as well.

Indeed. I'm hoping to have a clearer picture of things in a short while... Sadly, I've been told I can't share my findings in their entirity until late April.

Guest intercity0wl

All the chairman can do is try and provide a good atmosphere for a manager to work in (no complains from either of Irvine or Laws regarding that), give him as much money as possible (we're currently running slightly OVER budget with the loan signing of Nolan, and Strafford also handed Laws extra cash before season.... which our Bri wasted) and change the manager if things aren't going well (He hired Irvine who would currently have us in 7th place in the league if you apply his statistics since he came in during January to the whole season rather than half a season...definitely a good appointment so far.)

LS has plenty of faults, but the reason we're in the poo on the pitch was the 3 month spell between October and Xmas with hardly any wins and virtually no goals either.

Not sticking up for BL in ny way but hear this statement about blowing the money handed to him, By this are we talking about Potter and Miller who at the moment apart from the latters injuries are regarded as decent players now since the arrival of AI.

I disagree Hillsborough would be silent if it wasnt for the band.

Wrong. Firstly we never had a problem generating an atmosphere before the band turned up and contributed to killing said atmosphere. The matches without them had a better atmos because we were allowed to do our own thing instead of being directed by and drowned out by them. The main problem is the middle aged moaners, the people who just love grumbling non-stop instead of singing for their club. The band is an embarrassment, and I think we get off lightly, if a rival club had one I'd be laughing at them and taking the wee wee. I mean, just think about it for a second, a band at a football match. Ridiculous.

For me there are 2 ways to sell tickets, and you need to use both for best results.

1. A half decent team on the pitch.

2. Spin, hype and positivity.

It's very simplistic, but we seem to have focussed too much on number 2, and are reaping the results.

Hindsight is wonderful.

"I ACTUALLY SAW SOMEONE CALLING FOR PURSES HEAD ONLY THE OTHER DAY...HE'S BEEN LIKE THE ROCK OF GIBRALTAR SINCE IRVINE ARRIVED"

The. Funniest. Thing. Ever.

I've just come back from Gibraltar - and I think its a brilliant analogy - Purse has been a revelation since Irvine arrived

Guest thetruthisoutthere

I'm with everyone else I seriously can't bare to attempt to read that brick of words biggrin.gif

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said

Sorry fella but without some paragraphs and selective spaceing that is just too much of a headache to even attempt to read/answer/debate/converse

All the chairman can do is try and provide a good atmosphere for a manager to work in (no complains from either of Irvine or Laws regarding that), give him as much money as possible (we're currently running slightly OVER budget with the loan signing of Nolan, and Strafford also handed Laws extra cash before season.... which our Bri wasted) and change the manager if things aren't going well (He hired Irvine who would currently have us in 7th place in the league if you apply his statistics since he came in during January to the whole season rather than half a season...definitely a good appointment so far.)

LS has plenty of faults, but the reason we're in the poo on the pitch was the 3 month spell between October and Xmas with hardly any wins and virtually no goals either.

I agree (except Irvine's total points haul would have us 9th - and it's steadily falling).

I'm not particularly surprised by your findings mate, Hillsborough lost its atmosphere quite a long time ago.

Not that having an intimidating ground guarentees success- last season we had the best home defensive record in the championship, and probably the lowest level of noise as well.

The atmosphere started to change with the introduction of all seater stadiums in the mid 1990s. I think most people old enough to remember the terraces would be inclined to agree, and not just at Hillsborough.

I agree (except Irvine's total points haul would have us 9th - and it's steadily falling).

The atmosphere started to change with the introduction of all seater stadiums in the mid 1990s. I think most people old enough to remember the terraces would be inclined to agree, and not just at Hillsborough.

We're below a lot of grounds dude. Including a lot of the new flat-pack bowl stadiums.

We're below a lot of grounds dude. Including a lot of the new flat-pack bowl stadiums.

I'm not disputing that. Invariably, the atmosphere at Hillsborough has been lousy for a long time now. The last dismal decade has I'm sure played a big part, but it all started with the removal of the terraces.

Guest aphextwins

Can someone who went to school tell me what he tried to write please?

I got about one "sentence" in and just gave up because it was so poorly written and made me want to stick needles in my eyes.

I know it's only the Internet but for God's sake if you're going to try and argue a point and address it for the attention of LS then at least do it in a way that is legible.

I'm not disputing that. Invariably, the atmosphere at Hillsborough has been lousy for a long time now. The last dismal decade has I'm sure played a big part, but it all started with the removal of the terraces.

Exactly.

The band just provide a noise, it's not an atmosphere and it doesn't get everybody singing either.

Take monday, the atmosphere was crap, even with the band trying to parp everybody into life they failed like they always will.

What it takes is the players to show a bit of sparkle on the pitch, you get a bit of a roar going around the old girl then.

Yeah like scented candles and mellow music.

Hillsborough isnt intimidating to away fans and players but more so to our own team, the groans at misplaced passes and the nervous tension. When Hillsborough does get going its a real asset, but most of the time its that old catch 22, do the fans get the players going or vice versa?