FTAO LEE STRAFFORD

watching us the other day v. bristol anyone could see we were not the side that started the season with hopes of at least a lower mid-table finish, perhaps even a mid-table or even threatening a play off place...for quite some time now a lot of our players look scared to do anything much...in case it goes wrong and the stands erupt with fury...so players avoid the difficult and stick to the very simple, we even get that wrong from time to time, it infuriates the crowd even more and our players become more on edge, you can see it in their play...professional footballers committing errors you would be dissapointed at if your 14 year old son had done them...now we all admit that we haven't the biggest budget in the division, and as such the players we have were accuired with that budget (ok blackpool, donny and a few more who will finish higher up the table than us have had a similar budget)...but ours are not performing as well as we wish...we have heard for a number of years on and off that our players don't mind playing away from the pressures of hillsborough...but...what are the pressures of hillsborough...large half empty quite imposing stadium...a crowd easily frustrated by anything going awry...and ABOVE ALL ELSE A FANBASE FUELLED INTO GREAT EXPECTATIONS BY TALK OF PLAY OFF PLACES...PREMIER LEAGUE RETURNS...AND IMPENDING INVESTMENT...now i know you have a job to do, and part of that job is selling THE product that being swfc...but i do think the pressures of being a player brought to hillsborough not because of how good you are, but more likely how cheap you were and then how good you are (i'm not knocking the clubs spending record...i fully agree we can only afford to spend wisely, and ronaldo and drogba will have to wait)...BUT every time we appoint a manager he's reminded by the press he's joining a SLEEPING GIANT, coming to a MASSIVE CLUB, and so on, and so on...the facts are next year we may be in league 1...already i hear some talking of IMMEDIATE RETURN...if not we will have survived by the skin of our teeth in the ccc, and then the PLAY OFF PLACE promotion game will be in full swing again...the fact is laws may have been judged as not being the smartest crayon in the box...and irvine may be better at the organisational setup of a team (though we have yet to see his tactics when we attack in any strength)...the facts of the matter are at hillsborough that our players are scared far more than half the time...scared of letting the fans down...as for years now they have been expecting...PLAY OFF PLACES AND PREMIER LEAGUE RETURNS, and the stick used to beat the under performing players is constantly..".YOU LOT ARE OUT WHEN WE GET SOME INVESTMENT"...I ACTUALLY SAW SOMEONE CALLING FOR PURSES HEAD ONLY THE OTHER DAY...HE'S BEEN LIKE THE ROCK OF GIBRALTAR SINCE IRVINE ARRIVED ( AND WEARS OUR SHIRT WITH PRIDE )...if we don't get this great expectation under some sort of control...it will become the monster that devours this ONCE MIGHTY club...now i know you are busy...but give it some thought will you please...now no doubt i'll get blasted for this...but i felt it needed saying...many thanks WTID...

Edited by dnhc

I'm glad LS had reduced his posting on here but I bet he is gonna find it hard not to respond to this.

Sick of these type of rants, we all know the problems and I bet a pound to a pinch of poo Lee does.

Stop attempting to waste his time by asking for a response.

it is nothing more than attention seeking.

I think the supporters and Strafford have been let down by a bunch of players who cant handle the expectation. I dont think it was beyond LS to have a little ambition, after all he was only saying we would be after an outside chance of the playoffs and baring in mind where we finished last season thats simply what he had to be looking at.

We hoped for a better finish following the season we finished 9th, we ended up nearly relegated. Then the season after we expected nothing and did OK. This season the pressure was back on, I wouldnt be suprised that if we somehow escaped this we may actually do ok next season once again. But if were relegated can they handle the pressure of expectation again with everyone raising their game?

We have a solid budget IMO, the debt isnt that expensive to service, but we do need to find a team that can handle playing at Hillsborough and can cope with the expectations here. I can think of a few players who can or have handled it ie Miller, Purse, JJ, Grant, Tudgay has performed ok in big games previously but many others panick. Its a shame scouting cant really tell you whether a player can handle it.

A club like Leeds has the biggest (or one of the biggest) budgets in League One, but their own supporters expectations are adding to their demise at the moment.

I'm glad LS had reduced his posting on here but I bet he is gonna find it hard not to respond to this.

Sick of these type of rants, we all know the problems and I bet a pound to a pinch of poo Lee does.

Don't hold your breathe waiting for Lee to respond, it'll take him a week to get his head round all that. I gave up half way.

ive only skimmed this because it is a horrific read.

Lee Strafford is the Chairman. how is he responsible for the performance on the pitch?

I think the supporters and Strafford have been let down by a bunch of players who cant handle the expectation. I dont think it was beyond LS to have a little ambition, after all he was only saying we would be after an outside chance of the playoffs and baring in mind where we finished last season thats simply what he had to be looking at.

We hoped for a better finish following the season we finished 9th, we ended up nearly relegated. Then the season after we expected nothing and did OK. This season the pressure was back on, I wouldnt be suprised that if we somehow escaped this we may actually do ok next season once again. But if were relegated can they handle the pressure of expectation again with everyone raising their game?

We have a solid budget IMO, the debt isnt that expensive to service, but we do need to find a team that can handle playing at Hillsborough and can cope with the expectations here. I can think of a few players who can or have handled it ie Miller, Purse, JJ, Grant, Tudgay has performed ok in big games previously but many others panick. Its a shame scouting cant really tell you whether a player can handle it.

A club like Leeds has the biggest (or one of the biggest) budgets in League One, but their own supporters expectations are adding to their demise at the moment.

is the expectation far too great...and if it is, and is not addressed will it not only crush some of our players...and a decent manager...and possibly lee in time...i'm not critisysing any individuals...(i read on here individuals this week calling for lee's head, that would be a disaster to remove the best chairman i can remember at this club)...i think the problem is an idea...a thought...thats become a burden...

Funny reading this. Don't know how many of you saw the thread I posted the other day, but general opinion of the fans I surveyed up and down the country rank Hillsborough and our fans as being amongst the quietest and least intimidating in England.

Yet more proof that the band have ruined the atmosphere at Hillsborough.

Guest intercity0wl

ive only skimmed this because it is a horrific read.

Lee Strafford is the Chairman. how is he responsible for the performance on the pitch?

All the chairman can do is try and provide a good atmosphere for a manager to work in (no complains from either of Irvine or Laws regarding that), give him as much money as possible (we're currently running slightly OVER budget with the loan signing of Nolan, and Strafford also handed Laws extra cash before season.... which our Bri wasted) and change the manager if things aren't going well (He hired Irvine who would currently have us in 7th place in the league if you apply his statistics since he came in during January to the whole season rather than half a season...definitely a good appointment so far.)

LS has plenty of faults, but the reason we're in the poo on the pitch was the 3 month spell between October and Xmas with hardly any wins and virtually no goals either.

Funny reading this. Don't know how many of you saw the thread I posted the other day, but general opinion of the fans I surveyed up and down the country rank Hillsborough and our fans as being amongst the quietest and least intimidating in England.

I'm not particularly surprised by your findings mate, Hillsborough lost its atmosphere quite a long time ago.

Not that having an intimidating ground guarentees success- last season we had the best home defensive record in the championship, and probably the lowest level of noise as well.