An Idea!

Guest triple j

Each player donates £200? good arrow

There are some ideas on this thread that totally miss the point.

Football is currently running at unsustainable levels - players are paid too much which is putting the whole business model of the football club in England at risk. When you have Notts County paying 350% of turnover out in wages, you have Premiership teams unable to pay the taxman the PAYE and NIC they have withheld from salaries, you can see which way this is heading right across the board.

The last thing our club needs is for hard working fans to waste money by 'investing' in the club to pay players. Footballers must think every Christmas has come early when they see a 20k a year builder throwing a grand of their money away to ensure they remain vastly overpaid.

Save your money lads and lets run this club as a business that spends only what it earns, not one that relies on very risky investment or what are in effect charitable contributions.

On the broader point of 'fan ownership' - a wonderful nirvana to aim for but you would not believe the politics and the difficulty in gettng things done under such a structure.

Football is currently running at unsustainable levels - players are paid too much which is putting the whole business model of the football club in England at risk. When you have Notts County paying 350% of turnover out in wages, you have Premiership teams unable to pay the taxman the PAYE and NIC they have withheld from salaries, you can see which way this is heading right across the board.

The last thing our club needs is for hard working fans to waste money by 'investing' in the club to pay players. Footballers must think every Christmas has come early when they see a 20k a year builder throwing a grand of their money away to ensure they remain vastly overpaid.

Save your money lads and lets run this club as a business that spends only what it earns, not one that relies on very risky investment or what are in effect charitable contributions.

On the broader point of 'fan ownership' - a wonderful nirvana to aim for but you would not believe the politics and the difficulty in gettng things done under such a structure.

Isn't that Exactly what LS business plan is ?

:blink:

Isn't that Exactly what LS business plan is ?

:blink:

It is and that is why it is the right business plan.

The idea of funds being donated/ loaned by fans would be a disaster. It is bad enough when we sign a bad loan player, but imagine you have just donated a grand to the 15k a week we are paying someone and he turns out to be bobbins. Your hard earned grand paid a poor, uninterested player for 11 hours.

If you have a grand burning a hole in your pocket give it to a local charity or the childrens hospital for some equipment - dont waste it on a footballer.

Good points

The very first port of call is that the ridiculous wages that players earn has to be addressed

It's not just players though - because football is seen as such a cash cow, virtually every cost related to "professional football" gets a nought added to the price

Football - and those within the game and related to it - must take a reality check

Very, very mediocre players now get fantastic wages way above and beyong their talent.

Something has to give and it must not be allowed to be clubs going to the wall while players are grotesquely bloated from the spoils.

Edited by scram

Especially at this club

re the loan player idea I see where you're coming from and in an ideal world there are many many things I'd like to change about the game -don't start me. I believe this could be done and if people are able to help why not ? theorise about changing the structure of the game all you like it won't stop or help our position now so we have to act now.

Good points

The very first port of call is that the ridiculous wages that players earn has to be addressed

It's not just players though - because football is seen as such a cash cow, virtually every cost related to "professional football" gets a nought added to the price

Football - and those within the game and related to it - must take a reality check

Very, very mediocre players now get fantastic wages way above and beyong their talent.

Something has to give and it must not be allowed to be clubs going to the wall while players are grotesquely bloated from the spoils.

agreed Scram and I'll be first in the queue to chuck in points but ...in this case we're talking about a one off initiative to help save the club

Especially at this club

re the loan player idea I see where you're coming from and in an ideal world there are many many things I'd like to change about the game -don't start me. I believe this could be done and if people are able to help why not ? theorise about changing the structure of the game all you like it won't stop or help our position now so we have to act now.

Trust me - give the money to the Childrens hospital where there is a genuine need for donations that will make a massive difference to people in this community. Don't chuck it away on a loan player, the majority of whom are no good anyway (hence why we can get them on loan).

Look at Healy - he would be the type of player we would bring in, on fantastic money - he has gone to Ipswich and is probably getting 15k a week for keeping Roy Keane company on the bench.

The business should be run as that - a football club is not a charity and never should be. The business is not in trouble like, for example, Oldham were when they were passing buckets around the stadium to pay the bills to keep the floodlights on.

I've raised both, but the quicker and more immediate option is the donation to squadbuilder aspect - the loan player/£100 -a-man thing (or whatever people can afford).

Daz - I maintain this idea is flawed and will divert monies that should be going to charity on the inflated wages of poor footballers. However, it is still a great feeling to know that the fans of our club, despite everything, would donate cash to try and ensure we stay up, and I wish those who invest all the best.

Trust me - give the money to the Childrens hospital where there is a genuine need for donations that will make a massive difference to people in this community. Don't chuck it away on a loan player, the majority of whom are no good anyway (hence why we can get them on loan).

Look at Healy - he would be the type of player we would bring in, on fantastic money - he has gone to Ipswich and is probably getting 15k a week for keeping Roy Keane company on the bench.

The business should be run as that - a football club is not a charity and never should be. The business is not in trouble like, for example, Oldham were when they were passing buckets around the stadium to pay the bills to keep the floodlights on.

as i said mate I agree with you that footballers earn obscene amounts but that is a discussion for people with influence another time no amount of us making ripples on this forum will have much effect.

you say we're a business not a charity, I think we're a club and much more than that to some this I repeat is something that those who can afford it can help the club I cannot see a problem with it.

Adnirable as it is, you could apply your 'don't waste your money- give it to the hospital' theory to many things that's you making choices for other people. perhaps a good way for you to square your circle would be to join in Lee's initiative and buy SCH Owls' shirts for some under privileged kids win win win :biggrin:

I'd be happy to chuck in £100 for an emergency loan signing or two, but there's no point throwing good money after bad. I'd feel more comfortable if the idea was brokered with the club and they made an official appeal, accompanied by a statement from Alan Irvine that a) he feels its needed and b) has identified loanees who would be willing to come in and who could make a real difference. It could be that he thinks getting newcomers in now would disturb the balance (yep, I know what balance?) of the existing squad and their chances of scrapping their way out of the hole we're in. We've got Jeffers, JJ, and Miller to come back in and Nolan just arrived. Add 2 newcomers and thats 6 to get to gell in a very short time - there's no room for slip-ups. I'd trust Alan Irvine on this. He's ultra-professional.

As for the bigger goal of community ownership I think we should await the outcome of the current investment negotiations.

At times my love for Wednesday has been overwhelming, rare admittedly...... 1966, 1970, 1979, 1991 and 2005 spring to mind.

2010 can now be added to the list.......well done everyone.

Count me in, just let me know where to pay the £100..........or the £1000, if we can get the go ahead with fan ownership, my kids would have to do without birthday and xmas presents for a few years, but what the heck, I've always wanted us to be on a par with Barcelona. :biggrin:

Good points

I agree, i'd also love the players contracts overhauled and any agents feed get paid for by the players themselves rather than the clubs.

I'm not 100% convinced by the squadbuilder idea, but I'm in for a ton if it gets the go-ahead. And I'm definitely in to buy into a fan consiortium to take over! If LS and NP continue to run the club according to the business plan, and the bank will still write off what we were expecting to be written off, I could see myself in for a lot more than a grand as well.

Edited by WC1Owl

agreed Scram and I'll be first in the queue to chuck in points but ...in this case we're talking about a one off initiative to help save the club

It's not gonna help "save the club" though is it?

It's to fund player wages and perpetuate the cycle that needs to be broken - not just by us but by nearly every club

The club isn't in danger of going out of business - and relegation wouldn't alter that.

Who are these players that we can get anyway - people are struggling to ante up for their tickets never mind fund some players who may not improve the situation anyway

It's not gonna help "save the club" though is it?

It's to fund player wages and perpetuate the cycle that needs to be broken - not just by us but by nearly every club

The club isn't in danger of going out of business - and relegation wouldn't alter that.

Who are these players that we can get anyway - people are struggling to ante up for their tickets never mind fund some players who may not improve the situation anyway

I totally understand the problem some season pass holders would have with this.

From my prospective I live miles from sheffield cant attend many gameds due to family and work commitments and id be happy to sign up to do this every year, im sure many other exiled owls feel the same UTO