Players returning to their former clubs

I realize it isn't true in all cases, but old Wednesday players often come back to haunt us

In fact, I'm always nervous when I see an ex-Owl line up for the opposition because I just KNOW he'll play a blinder and/or score against us

On the other hand, when current Owls turn out against THEIR former clubs they nearly always disappoint

This season for example:

Barry Bannan struggled against Villa

Tom Lees home to L**ds

Ross Wallace at Preston

Fletch v Wolves

Hooper v Norwich (quiet rather than poor)

David Jones - perhaps not remembered for his time at Derby & Wolves, but struggled at Wigan

Adam Reach at Preston (despite scoring the equalizer)

McManaman at Wigan

So bearing this in mind, the question is - Should we pick Jordan Rhodes against Blackburn?

Rhodes needs games to see the best of him and to get him scoring. He looked fit and hungry against Wigan, it was a shame we didn't put more quality crosses into him. He worked hard and about the only quality cross we did put in, he flicked on to assist Wallace's deflected goal. Hopefully Hooper is now fit because it would be good to see Rhodes partnered by Hooper with Forestieri out wide. That would be frightening. We've got plenty of options but the likes of Rhodes and Hooper need games to get fully sharp.

38 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I realize it isn't true in all cases, but old Wednesday players often come back to haunt us

In fact, I'm always nervous when I see an ex-Owl line up for the opposition because I just KNOW he'll play a blinder and/or score against us

True. 

I get an even more sinking feeling when boos and jeers ring out during the warm up or team announcements,  convincing myself (with no statistical back up )that every added voice will add another 10% to their performance level.

1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

Players coming back to haunt us seemed to happen more when we were garbage

Now we have better players, it's not as much a promble 

You're right - the point I was trying to make had more to do with our current players performing against THEIR former clubs

Truth is, there aren't too many ex-Owls currently starring in the Championship and above anyway

Three ex-keepers, couple of defenders (some who weren't selected), Ben Marshall & COG - think that's about it

28 minutes ago, ash60s said:

Ridiculous question

Taken us ages to get Rhodes, gonna cost a fortune etc etc

and u ask "should we"???????????????? wtf baffled totally baffled

Ridiculous?

It was just a question really

Why have many of our current players (at least those listed above) performed below par against their former clubs?

That's baffling

I then asked if we think this trend is likely to continue with JR against Blackburn?

Sounds fairly harmless to me

32 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I always think this is one of those football myths, like new manager syndrome.  It's talked about when it happens but not on the many occasions it doesn't happen.

The technical term for this confirmation bias. 

And the answer to the question is emphatically Yes.

4 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I always think this is one of those football myths, like new manager syndrome.  It's talked about when it happens but not on the many occasions it doesn't happen.

The technical term for this confirmation bias. 

Off the top of my head....

Scored against us

McLean

Brunt

Owen Morrison

Clarke

Marshall

Wood

Alan Quinn

Kenwyn Jones (technical not our player, but an honourary owl).

Talbot

Even Sheridan, Hirst and Palmer!

cant think of any the other way round, but maybe they just do not register as much.

12 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

On the other hand, when current Owls turn out against THEIR former clubs they nearly always disappoint

This season for example:

Barry Bannan struggled against Villa

Tom Lees home to L**ds

Ross Wallace at Preston

Fletch v Wolves

Hooper v Norwich (quiet rather than poor)

David Jones - perhaps not remembered for his time at Derby & Wolves, but struggled at Wigan

Adam Reach at Preston (despite scoring the equalizer)

McManaman at Wigan

So bearing this in mind, the question is - Should we pick Jordan Rhodes against Blackburn?

What? Did you watch that game?