you'd have thought the manager would have noticed that .....do you honestly think if carlos thought for one moment that hooper

wasnt pulling his weight that he'd pick him ....

Maybe he didnt get picked at Norwich for this? They seemed keen to off load.

What some seem to be saying is, hooper is only expected to be productive when SWFC:

- play 442

- play with a big strike partner

- get him the ball in the box

- not play against good defenders

Not sure he's good enough, to demand this.

-

What some seem to be saying is, hooper is only expected to be productive when SWFC:

- play 442

- play with a big strike partner

- get him the ball in the box

- not play against good defenders

-

Not sure about the last one, perhaps a tad harsh. But I'd agree with the first three.

Whether playing a system that suits him but might not suit the rest of the players is the issue. 

I suspect had Joao progressed quicker then we might not have been so desperate to sign Hooper and would have kept with the 4-3-3 that was clearly Carlos' plan going into the season.

I think it will be an interesting in terms of recruitment and that the sort of signing we make will tell us whether we are going to build a side around him (he was a big outlay) or go back to the original plan. 

- play 442   - Fair enough

- play with a big strike partner - Fair enough

- get him the ball in the box  - 100% this!!!

- not play against good defenders   - No one is saying this

-

He is more than good enough to suggest the above is true, the quality of the opposition is never a factor whoever we play.

Not sure about the last one, perhaps a tad harsh. But I'd agree with the first three.

Whether playing a system that suits him but might not suit the rest of the players is the issue.

I suspect had Joao progressed quicker then we might not have been so desperate to sign Hooper and would have kept with the 4-3-3 that was clearly Carlos' plan going into the season.

I think it will be an interesting in terms of recruitment and that the sort of signing we make will tell us whether we are going to build a side around him (he was a big outlay) or go back to the original plan.

Overall, not a bad 1st seadon for Joao, but not that great either.

Suspect Joaos slow progression forced cc to use ff up front. Hopefully he'll prgress next season - cant hide behind age for ever

Quality player. Just needs to see more of the ball in dangerous areas.

As has been said numerous times, just needs the right partner.

Glenn Murray a realistic target and would be the right man imo.

Does this mean having to spend double money though? As signing a strike partner would hint at a 4-4-2 and it is evident that our diminuitive midfield struggled against the more physical sides when we only have to in there.

So in theory would it mean the end for one of Lees, Baz or Hutch and the signing of a central midfield player of a different style more suited to a two?

He is more than good enough to suggest the above is true, the quality of the opposition is never a factor whoever we play.

His most prolific seasons were against SPL defenders and L1 defenders; but saying that hsd he started the season with us then c18 goals.

Imo would take 5mill for hooper, joao, nuhiu, bus & lavery.

Guest Ash76

I've only read the first few posts and too much b0llox been spoken to keep on reading.

He's probably out most intelligent player, link up play, touch and awareness is superb.

In light of those attributes I've no idea how anyone can accuse him of not being a team player especially considering that FF is his strike partner.

Hooper is a proven goalscorer. 

His link up play is very good. His positioning, runs and finishing are excellent. 

It's not surprising that his worst 2 games in ages came Brighton (a) and the final, where we as a team didn't have any stranglehold on the game whatsoever and hardly created a thing. 

The previous games against Brighton and Cardiff he was excellent, and he wasn't so lazy for that second goal against Cardiff...

He is exactly the kind of player we need if we're going to improve next season, he just needs a proper pre-season and some help up top. 

Edited by Owls2k

Does this mean having to spend double money though? As signing a strike partner would hint at a 4-4-2 and it is evident that our diminuitive midfield struggled against the more physical sides when we only have to in there.

So in theory would it mean the end for one of Lees, Baz or Hutch and the signing of a central midfield player of a different style more suited to a two?

I think we need to accept, as good as Bannan and Lee are, that as a pairing they are in danger of being bullied out of games, so we either go to some sort of 4-3-1-2 formation with Forestieri playing behind a front 2, or we just accept we need a different kind of player alongside Bannan or Lee.

Felt sorry for Hooper on Sat. He's obviously a far better player with the ball in or near the box. Sat. he got no service whatsoever. Other teams seem to get their wingers forward faster, and are prepared to cross the ball. It was obvious from the start that high balls into the box were meat and drink to their two big central backs, but we never tried to cross the ball on the floor.The big weaknesses wre that FF was not getting his own way down the left, and our presence down the right was non-exsistant. To me, our wak link is Wallace, who can be easily worked out by a reasonably good defence. Keep him with the ball on his right and he is hopeless. He must cut inside to use his left foot. Hull had worked him out and he became ineffective. Hooper needs the ball in or around the box and this supply was not there.

Torryowl you asked for the comparison:-

Hooper and Fessi up front together 4 goals. (Hooper 4 Fessi none)

Hooper and Fessi with Nuhiu or Joao 24 goals. (Hooper 9 Fessi 15)

The other key issue for me is the team's record playing Hooper with Joao/Nuhiu, and Fessi left.

P9 W7 L1 D1 (draw Burnley, loss to Preston but only after Fessi red)

I know to some Carlos can do no wrong. I love him. I hope he is here for years to come. But he made a HUGE howler in stopping the winning system. Fessi, Hooper and Bannan all lost effectiveness.

Every manager makes mistakes. Fergie bought cream like Nistelroy and Cantona, but he also bought cack like Djemba Djemba  Carlos is wonderful, but got selection badly wrong since Brentford.

The midfield was bossed around completely on Saturday.

Hooper needs service - none came.

Bannan is a better CM than Hutch.

Fessi is a better left mid than Bannan, and would have occupied Odubajo.

We had the personel, just in the wrong positions.

The midfield was bossed around completely on Saturday.

Hooper needs service - none came.

this similar Nuhihu. It was mentioned in commentary on Saturday that it's no use bringing on Nuhihu and not getting the ball to him

Edited by darra