So if it's so painfully obvious to us that FF is better out wide and Hooper is better with a partner why the reluctance from CC to change ?

Too concerned about accomdating our best midfielders into the same side ?

Tough question. I assume your answer is correct. Cant think of another reason.

But CC wasnt alone. Many on here said time after time "better with Fessi left but cant leave Lopez out", "better with Joao or Nuhiu but got to find room for Hutch".

We had six excellent midfielders, but only one effective set-up, which we ditched to squeeze five of the six into every side.

Edited by Holmowl

I thought he did ok and saw him putting effort in to come back and win the ball. But let's be honest the service to him was poor. Key players for us either had too many touches or put crosses straight down their keepers throat. I can't remember many instances when we got behind their defence and I think one of the problems was we didn't seem to outnumber them anywhere on the pitch while they did it quite often to us.

Had next to no service all afternoon what do you expect him to do with these awful punted hoofballs? If he dropped deep and tried to help out the crumbling midfield we would have had no one up front. Joao or Nuhui would have done no better in that situation. Hooper and the formation was ill suited to that game if you're going to blame any one blame Carlos for bad tactics, lineup and substitutions.

I'm convinced we would have won that game with Fessi out wide and Bannan at the centre of a midfield 5. By half time I would have switched to a six man midfield like Spain with Matias as a roaming false 9. If Bannan was still as poor in second half he would have been off for McGugan by the 60 minute mark. To leave it at 442 at it was and bring Helan for Wallace was horrendous management. Gray would have done better on the day with that squad.

You must recognise that he's a lazy player, right?

I get the argument that he'll score enough goals to make upfor it, but for top 2 we'll need both.

I'm NOT blaming hooper for the goal, but if he closes down 0.5 secs quicker, who knows? Its about small details, imo hooper attitude is all wrong.

I really do not recognise that he's a lazy player. But running around a lot isn't his game. Hes a thinker, he looks around for space, he runs into space and isn't found nearly enough!

At this level it's rare that you can have everything.

Do I want Hooper running around doing donkey work then being too knackered to get up field to where he's supposed to be, in time? No. If I had my way he'd not move past 30 yards from goal. He'd hang off the final defender more than he does.

We do not take advantage of Hoopers strengths nearly enough, which makes some fans only focus on his weaknesses.

Guest wilyfox

The team has been good enough against practically every single side we have played this season. That is the problem.

We haven't been better than the very best teams. It is evolution not revolution that is needed. I think most people will

agree that Hull were bigger, stronger and better than us in midfield, which is where most of the most forward action was for us.

We either have defensive midfielders, ( Hutchinson, Lopez possibly and Semedo previously) wide midfielders (Wallace, Matias and

Forestieri) or neat passing midfielders who chase very hard when not in possession (Lee and Bannan)

I think we need two very good all rounders in central Midfield with Forestieri on the left and Wallace on the right

Basically strong competition for Lee and Bannan which I don't think we have with the exception of Lopez who appears to be leaving.

Joao will be better next season alongside Hooper and the defence will be fine with a stronger midfield

Agreed. The balance isn't right in midfield. As the cliché says...you need to earn the right to play. We have some players with wonderful technical ability. But we need sufficient muscle around those guys to do all the prerequisite stuff. When our A-game isn't quite happening for us, we get bullied, unable to force the issue. The guys in the squad we turn to for presence eg. Helan, Semedo, Nuhiu etc. aren't good enough to be effective against the top sides.

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

Gerd Muller was said to be a lazy player but one of the best strikers world football 's ever seen

Guest Fedor

That turn in the first half opened up Hull for the first time.

He had a tough job yesterday and got isolated when Ff went wide.

He worked hard couldn't fault him.

Sorry but that's simply not true. I have been a big supporter of Hooper this season but he put very little effort in on Saturday.

Never made any runs, basically just stood up against the Centre Halves and hoped to get summat on a plate..

Needs replacing if we are going to push for automatic, good finisher but nothing else to his game

if he's a good finisher then why not replace those that are failing to supply him with the chances ......we have banged on for years

to get a 15-20 goals a season man and hooper with a good pre season behind him fits the bill.

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

Hull , in general, were nice after match -  easy to when you win.

You can't compare Hull's defence - and budget - with most of the other Championship teams that we did well against. Literally in a different league.

Whatever we did Saturday we probably wouldn't have won.

We need to focus on doing a Bournemouth and will now be able to attract the 5 quality players we need to do this.

Adeybayor anyone?

FF wide, Hooper and someone else upfront and I'd guess FF had more success in that setup.

Hooper is a good player. And even in his baron spell he's not particularly played badly - hes been involved in some important goals.

Edited by bigdan2003

Anyone slating Hooper just doesn't understand the game, they don't attend matches or both

If Gary Hooper does not have a strike partner he is a waste of space as we have seen

When Gary Hooper has a partner he is a lethal striker at our level

Those are the facts.

what are the fact stats when he's played with a big striker next him compared to when its forestieri ......