Where will our budget rank next season?

There's no way Chansiri will spend £25 million.

The problem is that he might have to if he wants promotion. To get out of this league you've either got to be a parachute club, or spend like one if you're not. Consider 'Boro spending the best part of £17 million on Rhodes and Downing. 

I wouldnt expect us to spend too much money on English players (the players we could sign would be over valued for our league).

I expect we will dip into the foreign market for transfers, freebies from English clubs and season loans.

Edited by iliveinthenow

I'm not sure who will call the shots now the committee has been dispanded? I love Carlos' coaching and man management but think he needs some support in recruitment. I think he needs a Harry Redknapp style director of football to support him and avoid spunking the budget on McGeady or Bennet types.

Is this paragraph based on anything factual???? lol

The problem with foreign players is that they don't always have the nous of British players. We need experience, and that costs. We've done very well on a relatively small outlay, but it can't be done on the cheap. If it could, everybody would be doing it. We're in Middlesbrough's situation of a year ago.Like us, they weren't parachute, but the had the sense to see that they had to try to match those clubs to compete with them. Rather than £2-3 million players you have to be looking at £5 million plus players. Some will say we won't do that, but I fear if we don't then we'll be disappointed again a year hence.

We've given Joao and Matias a year to bed in. Now they've got to come to the party big time

Agree. Especially Matias, who had little influence on the season as a whole. I thought he'd be a Forestieri type Man of the Match player who would wow us but he's been anything but. Don't get me wrong he's not been bad but really hasn't shown why he was one of the top scorers behind Jackson Martinez. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt after his long injury.

DC is a business man. I doubt he was going to spend a huge amount of money with a new manager new to British football.

Carlos has proved himself now. We had a slow start to the season and then we picked up when the players began to gel with his style. He also got to know the players personally and build a rapport with them.

I really hope DC throws a few million in to take us to that next step. We need consistency and a bit more quality. We dont need a big number of players, maybe 4 who can change games and add in that consistency we lacked at away games.

Edited by iliveinthenow

We've given Joao and Matias a year to bed in. Now they've got to come to the party big time

Totally agree with you here mate.

Many top players dont shine in their first season (Vardy springs to mind). Then the following season they bloom.

What other teams would possibly spend more on wages and fees than the 3 relegated teams and Derby? I can't really think of any. Maybe Fulham but they're weirdly so bad considering their last 2 years spend.

Fulham and Bristol city have big money to spend. Forest look like they have new owners so maybe them, but whether that is more than us we don't know. Derby and Brighton have backing. Newcastle and villa could blow teams out the water financially and Norwich are ready made.

It's not always about the size of the budget though. More team spirit and the use of the money. It would be great if we could set a target of trying to make the top 2 to make sure of it but I think we will have to spend well to simply make the top six again.

Both in terms of wages and spending power I imagine we'll be top 6 again.

Due to Burnley and Hull going straight back up there are less teams on parachute payments than their could have been. 

Aston Villa, Newcastle and Norwich will all have more spending power than us in terms of wages. A disproportionately large amount when you compare them to the bottom 6 teams in this league, especially Burton Albion (the mismatch is quite astounding). 

Teams like Derby, ourselves and Brighton will all have the most spending power after the above teams I imagine. Possibly us and Derby will spend more on transfer fee's than other relegated teams who may choose to retain and release rather than spend. 

Plus there's always a team or two that ups their spending and goes for it, I can't really see who that'd be at this moment. Apart from these top 6 teams the rest of the division is full of teams that appear to have little money in comparison. Maybe Wolves, QPR (still on parachute payments) and Bristol City (who are alleged to have a fair bit of backing for the upcoming season) are the teams to watch out for. 

So, how much do you think we WILL spend? Considering DC stated that this next season was the one to aim for promotion it looks like we'll be spending more than the £10M or so in transfer fees and large increase of the wage bill that we did this season. Could you see us doing a Boro/Derby and splashing £25M+ this summer? 

ffs I've spelt the title incorrectly. 'our budget'. 

lol

Nope.Because what is the point of spending recklessly to get to the PL and then fail big style and within a few months get done for breaching FFP Rules and getting slapped with a Transfer Embargo.

Nope.Because what is the point of spending recklessly to get to the PL and then fail big style and within a few months get done for breaching FFP Rules and getting slapped with a Transfer Embargo.

The point wasn't that I wanted us to spend excessively but rather what we think will happen according to DC.

Guest Owls001

.....its great to see the Wednesday back on the map, that's what's this season is really about. Yup money helps, both in transfers & wages plus squad size. But at the end of the day the game is still 11 v 11 have Lcfc have gloriously proven this season. Budgets don't have the impact in the championship as they do in the Premiership. 10 teams will start next season beliving they have a chance of going up. It's a realistic possibility now, the better players will want to join the Owls.

Lees: £8 million

FF: £10 million

KW: £6 million

BB: £8 million

Lee: £7 million

Really hope we don't sell any of these this Summer, but if we do it should be for no less than the prices above.

Personally seen as its a 150th anniversary and he wants it in prem he will spend however much is needed to get to the premier league so it irrelevant asking cause he is gonna spend what he wants and sign what he wants